OFFICIAL: CANON EOS 5D Mark III - User Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Planning to upgrade to 6D. & definitely to sell my 5d3 @ a cheaper price. Anyone keen?

I already sold my 5D3. Planning the same thing as you. I think going down the 6D route is considered a downgrade, not upgrade. :bsmilie:

Ya. About 100bucks. Btw, without the dial, much convenient to check at 2 lcd screens from there we still able to see which mode we using.

The fact that CSC charges you $100 for mode dial replacement means it is not an expected thing. So, what exactly happened here? :bsmilie:

When I used eoscount for my 7D and 5D classic, it was free. When I tried to use it for my 5D3, they wanted payment. Has anyone else encountered this?

It's the same with 60D too. It's something imposed by software originator recently. I paid ~S$2 for each check... I only do this for cameras I want to sell since potential buyers always ask for this number. Otherwise, I don't see why anyone is bothered with his camera shutter count. >= 100,000 shutter count will last me a life-time. :bsmilie:

doodah said:
I already sold my 5D3. Planning the same thing as you. I think going down the 6D route is considered a downgrade, not upgrade. :bsmilie:

The fact that CSC charges you $100 for mode dial replacement means it is not an expected thing. So, what exactly happened here? :bsmilie:

It's the same with 60D too. It's something imposed by software originator recently. I paid ~S$2 for each check... I only do this for cameras I want to sell since potential buyers always ask for this number. Otherwise, I don't see why anyone is bothered with his camera shutter count. >= 100,000 shutter count will last me a life-time. :bsmilie:

Cool... ;)

Yup, was asked to pay when I tried to check. EOSinfo didn't work as well. Looks like Magic Lantern is the only free way left to check the shutter count!

If I install magic latern to my mark3, is it possible to revert back? Am I still able to update when the next new firmware is out? And will it void the warranty?

I am very uneasy about installing Magic Lantern on my beloved Mk III. I would like to hear about the thoughts of others. Is my uneasiness unfounded?

Installing ML just to check SC seems rather extreme. Anyway, just saw a post in the 6D thread that Canon Sg has dropped price for the 5D3 by "almost $300" with the impending launch of the 6D.

If I install magic latern to my mark3, is it possible to revert back? Am I still able to update when the next new firmware is out? And will it void the warranty?

Yes, Lantern software is reversible, i.e., it can be uninstalled at will. :)

Magic lantern is installed on ur sd card and runs with the firmware..u can uninstall it easily without a problem..i have it on my 60d for ages.installed un installed n upgraded few times...watch the tutorial is the best.

Magic lantern is installed on ur sd card and runs with the firmware..u can uninstall it easily without a problem..i have it on my 60d for ages.installed un installed n upgraded few times...watch the tutorial is the best.

How good is the quality of the peaking filter? As good as the NEX/SLT?

I tried the peaking thing on NEX/SLT. Does not seem useful to me. Needs big contrasty areas to see the flashing zebra signs.

ageha said:

Focus peak on ml is awesome..Can adjust the threshold n sensitivity..combined with trap focus is excellent.i use it for my still life macro

Last edited:
Depends on the sensitivity you dial in.

From DPReview preview of RX1:

"Sadly, however, the VGA screen on the RX1 doesn't allow precise enough rendering of focus peaking to ensure accurate focus with the F2 lens' shallow depth-of-field, so focus peaking is only available in magnified focus. This is rather disappointing, since one great value of focus peaking is the ability to manually focus quickly while also viewing your shot's composition. Our experiments with Focus Peaking with wide aperture lenses on the NEX system support Sony's decision to remove this feature, but it is a shame it could be made to work accurately."

And this is what the reviewer Butler says:

"Yes - it was a feature that's been removed since the pre-production models because it's not precise enough. We tested the NEX-7 and, with a wide-aperture lens, it's not reliable.

I asked Sony and believe the answer to have come from Japan."

I do not know about focusing peaking on other cameras and systems. But on Sony cameras I tested, they sound cool but don't really work.

Last edited:
From DPReview preview of RX1:

"Sadly, however, the VGA screen on the RX1 doesn't allow precise enough rendering of focus peaking to ensure accurate focus with the F2 lens' shallow depth-of-field, so focus peaking is only available in magnified focus. This is rather disappointing, since one great value of focus peaking is the ability to manually focus quickly while also viewing your shot's composition. Our experiments with Focus Peaking with wide aperture lenses on the NEX system support Sony's decision to remove this feature, but it is a shame it could be made to work accurately."

And this is what the reviewer Butler says:

"Yes - it was a feature that's been removed since the pre-production models because it's not precise enough. We tested the NEX-7 and, with a wide-aperture lens, it's not reliable.

I asked Sony and believe the answer to have come from Japan."

I do not know about focusing peaking on other cameras and systems. But on Sony cameras I tested, they sound cool but don't really work.
Well, he is wrong. Sometimes things are pretty easy. :)

Well, he is wrong. Sometimes things are pretty easy. :)

Ha, ha... if you say so. But it's the reviewer and my experience versus yours. :bsmilie:

Ha, ha... if you say so. But it's the reviewer and my experience versus yours. :bsmilie:

Yup, that's fine. Everybody has a different taste. ;) I like it, I shot hundreds of photos with my NEX-5N + Canon FDn 24mm 1.4L + peaking and they are in focus. ;)

So many people selling 5d3 lately... Is it cos of the newly arrived 6D? I'm surprised. Is 6D really that good enough for people to downgrade to it?

So many people selling 5d3 lately... Is it cos of the newly arrived 6D? I'm surprised. Is 6D really that good enough for people to downgrade to it?

It's too heavy for some and the 6D adds a few features.

Status
Not open for further replies.