OFFICIAL: CANON EOS 5D Mark III - User Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Late last week I had lunch with someone who has the new Mk3 and he agreed to let me shoot the food for comparison with my mk2. I used the lens he brought - 24-70L. Despite wanting to like the new Mk3 and hoping to see a marked improvement in IQ, I did not see any. Maybe the food shoot was not for the mk3 best new features. But after that lunch, I am in no hurry to go buy the new Mk3. The AF is much faster. The shutter button is much more responsive. The body feel is just like a 7D. Unfortunately as I do not have the RAW converter nor does my ACR reads the new file format, I cannot process the Raw to compare. Judging only based on the jpgs.

I wonder if anyone here has done a side by side comparison of captures out of the camera to see where the new camera has improved?

Late last week I had lunch with someone who has the new Mk3 and he agreed to let me shoot the food for comparison with my mk2. I used the lens he brought - 24-70L. Despite wanting to like the new Mk3 and hoping to see a marked improvement in IQ, I did not see any. Maybe the food shoot was not for the mk3 best new features. But after that lunch, I am in no hurry to go buy the new Mk3. The AF is much faster. The shutter button is much more responsive. The body feel is just like a 7D. Unfortunately as I do not have the RAW converter nor does my ACR reads the new file format, I cannot process the Raw to compare. Judging only based on the jpgs.

I wonder if anyone here has done a side by side comparison of captures out of the camera to see where the new camera has improved?

We have done some ISO tests when we got hold of the new camera, you can see some results here:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/canon/1062615-5d-mark-iii-iso-performance-simple-test.html

Of course, the above thread is on 5D3 shots only. But it could give you a good indication on how it can perform. Hope it helps.

I think this has been discussed many times in this forum. There will not be any significant improvement in IQ when you compare 5D2 and 5D3 photos in relatively low ISO. Reason: Main improvement is AF system, low-light capability, build quality and other nitty gritty improvements.

Will you see a better photo when you have improved AF system? No. Unless you compare a photo of a kid running towards your camera in the evening... You'll get a picture of the kid with 5D3. 5D2... perhaps if you manual focus.

Do you shoot your food in -2EV conditions? If you are shooting food at above ISO 6400, perhaps you can single out the 5D3 image.

Can 5D2 give you a peace of mind when you are doing your assignment with one CF card? I bet 5D3 does with an extra SDHC slot as backup.

Put it simply, 5D3 is a better tool to achieve better results, if you need it.

Last edited:
Hi fellow Mk3 users,
Does the box come with a free SD or CF card when you purchased of the camera?
My previous canon SLRs (450D, 60D) came with SD cards as part of the package.

Last edited:
Hi fellow Mk3 users,

Nope it doesn't. 1D/5D series never came with any memory cards...

Hi fellow Mk3 users,

bro, actually all canon DSLRs does not come with free memory card (if I am not wrong), it's not part of the box's contents.

however, some dealers do give you free memory cards as promotion. or if you purchase it at RRP from big retailers like Best Denki, Harvey Norman, it's pretty common for them to include some freebies like memory cards and bags. Sometimes, Canon give out such freebies as promotions too. But take note that it's more common for lower-end models. higher end models like 5D and 1D, I don't think freebies is that common, because Canon and dealers expect you to have them already :bsmilie:

bro, actually all canon DSLRs does not come with free memory card (if I am not wrong), it's not part of the box's contents.

however, some dealers do give you free memory cards as promotion. or if you purchase it at RRP from big retailers like Best Denki, Harvey Norman, it's pretty common for them to include some freebies like memory cards and bags. Sometimes, Canon give out such freebies as promotions too. But take note that it's more common for lower-end models. higher end models like 5D and 1D, I don't think freebies is that common, because Canon and dealers expect you to have them already :bsmilie:

yeah.. you can see from Canon website what promo they having.
5D MK3 EOS 5D Mark III (Body) - Canon Singapore - Personal
60D EOS 60D (Body) - Canon Singapore - Personal

haha, thanks bro, I was still questioning the shop owner as to why it doesnt come with anything when the price is so high compared to the non-FF SLR.
Last time I got canon camera bag, 8GB SD card magazine and training course ( I dont need it but I can let someone go on my behalf).

Any idea when will the magazine be available?

haha, thanks bro, I was still questioning the shop owner as to why it doesnt come with anything when the price is so high compared to the non-FF SLR.
Last time I got canon camera bag, 8GB SD card magazine and training course ( I dont need it but I can let someone go on my behalf).

Side track abit... But I see your signature got 24-70mm f/2.8L II ???

Wow, that's observant of you bro.
I ordered it, its from overseas, but i dont really have it yet.

Last edited:
avsquare said:
Hmm based on feedback from those pro, one main reason why they say they prefer 5D3 in low light is because of the clean high ISO produced from 5D3. It's a FF sensor and the NR tech is more advanced. And also, there are feedback that 1D4 do poorly in extreme low light, like candle lit lighting. In such extreme condition, they find that 5D3 performs better. Other than such low light scenarios, they would prefer 1D4 for the lighting fast and snappy lock-on for AF. That's what I understand from my readings..

I got to agree that the 5D3 really outperforms in low light situation mainly due to its excellent noise control.
For once I thought u meant 5D3 AF performs better in low light situation.which drew my curiosity.

Anyone tried the 70-200 f2.8 mkii on the 5d mkiii yet? Is it sharp at wide open throughout the range?

I got to agree that the 5D3 really outperforms in low light situation mainly due to its excellent noise control.
For once I thought u meant 5D3 AF performs better in low light situation.which drew my curiosity.

5d mark III vs 1d mark iv auto-focus comparison: Canon EOS-1D / 1Ds / 5D Forum: Digital Photography Review
Re: Lacrosse w/ new 5DMIII: Canon EOS-1D / 1Ds / 5D Forum: Digital Photography Review

nope, you are right on that actually. the pro-togs did suggest that 5D3 locked on focus faster than 1D4 in bad lighting conditions, such as candlelight, then 5D3 may be the choice. Some even called 5D3 a poor man's 1DX.

but note that these photogs do mention that outside such extreme poor lighting condition, the AF speed and accuracy of 1D4 is still better than 5D3, due to dual processors

Share with you these 2 threads of discussion, interesting read if you had the time.

For those with not so much time, here's some quotes:

Good morning to all. I shot 1075 photos at last night's game which is typical, but try to post less than 200 because parents/kids don't want to go through 500 photos emoticon - smile Out of the 1075 very few were deleted for focusing reasons, in fact I had less deletes due to focusing issues than I do with my 1DM4. With the 5DM3 the photos were either totally in focus (which was most of the time) or not at all. With my 1DM4 I would end up with a lot that are nearly in focus but not quite locked in. With the 5DM3 last night there was probably 2 burst not in focus, which I attribute to not having acquired focus before firing off the burst. So my gut feeling is that the 5DM3 AF is better than the 1DM4 in the conditions I was shooting in last night. Given some time using the camera and studying the manual & numerous white papers on the body I think I will have an even higher opinion on it. If you have not read Rudy Winston's numerous articles on the 1DX & 5DM3 on the Canon Learning Center you really need to such as this one: http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/...s/articles/2011/1dx_af_config_article.shtml

Canon really needs to offer one day 1D/5D Schools around the country to help us all understand the fantastic tools we have in our hands. I know the cameras are more capable than my knowledge of the camera allows at times. So I have been reading in advance of the arrival of the 1DX & 5DM3.

To sum up my feelings, I really like this camera and loved the images I got out of the body. The feel of the camera in my hands was very good although I did definitely miss the battery grip and some of the other 1D features. I think the 5DM3 will serve sports, wildlife, wedding, studio, photo journalist very well, especially if they take the time to learn the features of the camera.

jhal wrote:

you see, I want to keep the 1DMK3 and sell the 7D. Out of the 1DMK4 and the 5DM3 which one would you choose; value for money. I am not full time sports photographer but I do work for an agency and syndicate images

Do you miss the 1.3 crop factor with the 5D MK3?

Thanks
John

To answer your question John, I think 1DM4 vs 5DM3 really depends on what & where you shoot. Do you shoot a lot of night games under poor lighting? If yes might want to look at 5DM3. Are you shooting birds in flight, fast action sports? If yes might want 1DM4. Perhaps you should rent a 1DM4 & 5DM3 and give them both a try. Then you could satisfy your own curiosity at a minimal cost.

Last edited:
Anyone here tried shooting at the Night Safari with the 5D3? I believe it's a great test to the camera's ability no?
I remember reading last time people say the only camera that can work in Night Safari is the D3S with a70-200 f2.8 lens at ISO 20000…
Well, maybe with the 5D3 at ISO 25800 and a slower F4 lens with AI servo working full time..we can finally shoot at night int he night safari?
So tempting to go try…anyone already beat me to it?

Canon SG has no idea. Call them to check if you interested. I suspect need to wait a while, cos usually the mag feat some photog and their photos and their comments etc.

Side track abit... But I see your signature got 24-70mm f/2.8L II ???

I see those mass sale stores start selling grey set already.. if I never see wrongly.

Canon Lenses - Standard Zoom - Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM - Techno Gadgets - Your Reliable Source of Photo Equipments

Canon SG has no idea. Call them to check if you interested. I suspect need to wait a while, cos usually the mag feat some photog and their photos and their comments etc.

I see those mass sale stores start selling grey set already.. if I never see wrongly.

Canon Lenses - Standard Zoom - Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM - Techno Gadgets - Your Reliable Source of Photo Equipments

The lens is not even released yet…it's been delayed most likely until July…and from that site, they're selling for $1899 only ah..damn cheap leh…faster buy :) It's like getting a 5D3 for $2k

The lens is not even released yet…it's been delayed most likely until July…and from that site, they're selling for $1899 only ah..damn cheap leh…faster buy :) It's like getting a 5D3 for $2k

I was shocked to see the price. I thought I saw RRP going to be high 2k or 3k when Canon announced this lens :eek:

Anyone here tried shooting at the Night Safari with the 5D3? I believe it's a great test to the camera's ability no?
I remember reading last time people say the only camera that can work in Night Safari is the D3S with a70-200 f2.8 lens at ISO 20000…
Well, maybe with the 5D3 at ISO 25800 and a slower F4 lens with AI servo working full time..we can finally shoot at night int he night safari?
So tempting to go try…anyone already beat me to it?

Yup, took the Mkiii to the night safari on the very first day it was launched. Was amazed by it's low light capabilities. I still get OOF shots esp with moving animals but compared to my Mkii, I would say it's a marked improvement.
All taken with 5DMkiii + 70-200 f2.8 IS Mkii ISO from 10000 to 51200.

5DMkiii Test Shots - a set on Flickr

Yup, took the Mkiii to the night safari on the very first day it was launched. Was amazed by it's low light capabilities. I still get OOF shots esp with moving animals but compared to my Mkii, I would say it's a marked improvement.
All taken with 5DMkiii + 70-200 f2.8 IS Mkii ISO from 10000 to 51200.

5DMkiii Test Shots - a set on Flickr

Thanks..it really looks like a 2.8 tele lens is a MUST at the Night safari..looks like i shouldn't even bother since i don't own a 2.8 tele lens…

Anyone tried the 70-200 f2.8 mkii on the 5d mkiii yet? Is it sharp at wide open throughout the range?

yes, be careful not to cut yourself when you process the photographs. sharp like razor.

Status
Not open for further replies.