Official Canon 550D User Thread Part IV

Why replace a kit lens with another variable aperture lens? I thought the main weakness with kit lens is because of the variable aperture? By replacing the kit lens with a similar, it is not an upgrade at all is it? Wider angle or telephoto range can be achieved by buying that specific focal length lens in my opinion. What do the other guys think?

take the plunge, get the 17-55 and 70-200 !!

WA TEMPTATION!!! Eh don't have like that one lah. Don't anyhow poison me leh. I not as rich as you! You sponsor me lah! :bsmilie:

To get a much better walk about lens or do you guys recommend me keeping this lens and just get a telephoto lens to go with this lens like the 55- 250?

Your 18-55 kit lens is a beautiful lens worth keeping. It's one of the best and cheapest lens around. I recommend you to keep it and get another telephoto lens to pair with it.

WA TEMPTATION!!! Eh don't have like that one lah. Don't anyhow poison me leh. I not as rich as you! You sponsor me lah! :bsmilie:

Your 18-55 kit lens is a beautiful lens worth keeping. It's one of the best and cheapest lens around. I recommend you to keep it and get another telephoto lens to pair with it.

Hmmmm 3rd person to recommend to do the same

Why replace a kit lens with another variable aperture lens? I thought the main weakness with kit lens is because of the variable aperture? By replacing the kit lens with a similar, it is not an upgrade at all is it? Wider angle or telephoto range can be achieved by buying that specific focal length lens in my opinion. What do the other guys think?

are you suggesting getting a prime lens? and going from a 18 - 55 to a 15 - 85 is considered an upgrade to me. I get slightly better wideangle at 15mm compared to the 18mm and zoom is also closer

Last edited:
Thinking of Hooting a wide angle lens. any wide angle lens to recommend?

hihi

Can i ask whether u use a tripod when taking these shots using tamron?

Does it make alot of difference if non IS coz after reading the two threads, I understand that tamron 18-50mm non VC is non IS rt ?

If do not have very steady hands, is it still easy to use this lens ?

after seeing yr photos , tempted to buy this lens.. first owned dslr... thanks for sharing...;)
My landscape shots with Tamron 17-50

IMG_9187 by jerrold2010, on Flickr

IMG_9184 by jerrold2010, on Flickr

IMG_9186 by jerrold2010, on Flickr​

hihi

Can i ask whether u use a tripod when taking these shots using tamron?

Does it make alot of difference if non IS coz after reading the two threads, I understand that tamron 18-50mm non VC is non IS rt ?

If do not have very steady hands, is it still easy to use this lens ?

after seeing yr photos , tempted to buy this lens.. first owned dslr... thanks for sharing...;)

I used a Tripod for these shots.

Personally I only owned the "IS" which is the"Non VC" version.

Have been using this lens, the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 Non VC for my holiday trips [to Las Vegas and Hong Kong]

The range itself is good enough, and the f/2.8 is good especially under low light conditions.

I am suprised that I was able to capture sharp images even with the shutter speed, 1/15 to 1/20.

oops.. so sorry..

so Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 Non VC is IS and abt $600 as mentioned in prev thread.. gd in low light and protrait as well rt , if i din read wrongly.

then who abt canon 85mm 1.8 then ?

Me prefer to zap landscapes , night shots and protraits eg like bokeh.. dun really zoom alot ..

I prefer not carrying alot of lens around when moving esp travelling .

Need to buy extra battery for cold weather like -10 ?

thanks for your prompt reply !:)
I used a Tripod for these shots.

Personally I only owned the "IS" which is the"Non VC" version.

Have been using this lens, the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 Non VC for my holiday trips [to Las Vegas and Hong Kong]

The range itself is good enough, and the f/2.8 is good especially under low light conditions.

I am suprised that I was able to capture sharp images even with the shutter speed, 1/15 to 1/20.

Last edited:
oops.. so sorry..

so Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 Non VC is IS and abt $600 as mentioned in prev thread.. gd in low light and protrait as well rt , if i din read wrongly.

Me prefer to zap landscapes , night shots and protraits eg like bokeh.. dun really zoom alot ..

Actually I prefer to use my 85mm for Portraits..

-10 deg countries should not be a problem... i brought 2 original batteries and 2 third party batteries for a trip of 1 week and charge only once..

non-vc is WITHOUT image stabilisation.

oops.. so sorry..

Usually night landscapes requires you to use a tripod so with/without vc is not a problem. Non VC means No IS.

oh thanks for clarifying non VC means non IS.
Would its differ alot ? like u need very steady hands to take the shot?
More to taking landscapes and some closeup la..
mmm....

oh thanks for clarifying non VC means non IS.
Would its differ alot ? like u need very steady hands to take the shot?
More to taking landscapes and some closeup la..
mmm....
it does not matter you do not need it.

but IS is good for taking handheld mood shots(think 1/8s, 1/10s) when your subject is still, while everybody else is moving.

oh..mostly i will use program mode first.. I supposed if someone use auto mode , the lens can still work right ?

For me i always use handheld unless night shots

Only worried whether i need to hold steadily while shooting and that the pics will turn out sharp or not..stressed

For me if i do handheld at 1/30 without VC you can sit the pictures sway.

Last edited:
oh..mostly i will use program mode first.. I supposed if someone use auto mode , the lens can still work right ?

For me i always use handheld unless night shots

Only worried whether i need to hold steadily while shooting and that the pics will turn out sharp or not..stressed

now basic lens no issues..
auto mode or not the lens will work if it is not spoil.

tip for you, without any form of IS and you are afraid that your pics will turn out blur, you can try shooting burst.

blur is a random thing, out of the few shots, confirm will nail a decent one.

thanks bro for your encouragement :D wat do u mean by burst ?

Sorry for so may noob questions :embrass:
auto mode or not the lens will work if it is not spoil.

tip for you, without any form of IS and you are afraid that your pics will turn out blur, you can try shooting burst.

blur is a random thing, out of the few shots, confirm will nail a decent one.

thanks bro for your encouragement :D wat do u mean by burst ?

Sorry for so may noob questions :embrass:
no worries there.

hold your shutter down and shoot a few pics at 1 go.

rmb to set your drive mode to continous.

eh.. u mean the menu with single shot .. but to choose continous shot instead ?

Hold shutter down means half down to focus then take pics ?

heee will try that..
no worries there.

hold your shutter down and shoot a few pics at 1 go.

rmb to set your drive mode to continous.