Official Canon 550D User Thread Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, just got myself a canon 550d kit 2 today. was trying it out at night and i found the focus to be quite soft. so a bit disappointed with my buy.. anyone has this experience before ? is this to be expected? i compared the IQ to my compact and it seems the pictures taken with 550d seems softer and less sharp..

what are the ways to rectify this problem ? please advise?

=(..

Hi, please test again tomorrow in normal lighting :) If u want to do a test at night, use a tripod. Shoot a focus chart, see got problems. Go google it.

i meant that the higher end versions of Canon DSLRs have 2 scroll wheels, making it easier to control aperture and shutter speed in manual mode. Such DSLRs include Canon 7D/50D/5D/1D. Some Nikon DSLRs have 2 scroll wheels too, such as D90/D300s/D700/D3s.

That's why one might think that they are easier to use manual mode.

Even though my 450D only have 1 dial, I am equally fast on it as in my 5DMII. It's how familiar you are with the camera that matter.

erm.. u no dont have to remove your eye from the vf ? as in easier to see the current shutter/aperture/iso..

Both camera I can adjust the shutter/aperture/iso without leaving my eye off the VF.

I try manual mode alot alot alot alot time (lost count liao) i still dont get it right. 99.9% after photo taken (whether day or night) my object will be dark.
Use the exposure indicator in the viewfinder when adjusting aperture or shutter value. A centered indicator means proper exposure.
In general, use of the P/Av/Tv modes together with exposure compensation is enough for nearly all shooting situations-saves you the trouble of fiddling in manual mode (unless you're a seasoned pro) and missing photo opportunities. Besides the 550D's metering is very reliable so might as well make full use of it (I have a 7D, which uses the same iFCL metering system as the 550d.).

Hi all, just got myself a canon 550d kit 2 today. was trying it out at night and i found the focus to be quite soft. so a bit disappointed with my buy.. anyone has this experience before ? is this to be expected? i compared the IQ to my compact and it seems the pictures taken with 550d seems softer and less sharp..

=(..

Most DSLRs do not sharpen the image that comes out of the camera as much as compacts do, that's why you think that the compact images look sharper. If you do some post processing to the picture, and increase the sharpness, saturation, etc. you can get the same results as the compact or even better.

Just got my 550d body and a 24-105 lens, really great combo. :)

=(..

Congratulations! Welcome :)

Odyssey-Boy & litlefiter thanks for ur great info. I will try it again this weekend, hopefully i will get something out of it. Sunday i am heading to fullerton again and i will try all the suggestion that u guys given to me and hopefully it will be so much better.

Nice glass but you dont have the wide angle.
24mm mounted on a 550D is already equivalent to 38mm

Odyssey-Boy & litlefiter thanks for ur great info. I will try it again this weekend, hopefully i will get something out of it. Sunday i am heading to fullerton again and i will try all the suggestion that u guys given to me and hopefully it will be so much better.
dun forget your tripod..

by the way, your nick very familiar.. u got ride bike or join some bike or car forum ah? i think i know u... haha.. short haired lady right?

=(..

gongxi on your new purchase

Those who are using the Phottix Grip for 550d.. Wondering if your on/off switch for the grip is a little loose? or is it just me?

Soon u will get bored after shooting and shooting the cityhall area.. Do try out places like changi, upper Peirce reservoir .. Etc ..

changi where ah?

Those places with like a sea or something .. Hmm near changi village or something.. It's been sometime ever since I shoot landscapes... Not cos of losing the interest but don't really have the time to catch sunrise or sunset.. Just waiting for year end HK trip for street shooting and camera lens buying spree.. !

u stalk me ah... ;)

dun forget your tripod..

by the way, your nick very familiar.. u got ride bike or join some bike or car forum ah? i think i know u... haha.. short haired lady right?

heading down to HKG next 2weeks any recommanded price to buy Lens and wat lens is ok to buy if i want to focus on landscape and ppl...

Does anyone know the price range like? my budget for 1 'beginner' lens if possible is less then SGD300, but of cause with good reason i will expend my budget abit.

No probs bro, fellow CSers should help each other out :) All the best! do let us see your photos afterwards :)

heading down to HKG next 2weeks any recommanded price to buy Lens and wat lens is ok to buy if i want to focus on landscape and ppl...

Does anyone know the price range like? my budget for 1 'beginner' lens if possible is less then SGD300, but of cause with good reason i will expend my budget abit.

landscape lens $300 ? I don't think it's possible.

Landscape lens

Canon 10-22, tokina 11-16 sigma 10-20, 8-16, tamron 10-24.

All around 800-1.2k ??

Beginner lens can consider tam 17-50, sigma 18-50 for like 600-800 range ?

Otherwise die die must buy lens.. Buy 55-250 lor $300++ ..

50 1.8 is also not bad.. $100++

ef-s 17-55 f2.8...

Status
Not open for further replies.