Official Canon 550D User Thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
k thx ;) fit the review

now i dunno what to upgrade to... :(

u got sample of 17-70? how much u buy? what is keystone?

i wonder what most ppl upgade to frm kit lens...

read that the 18-135 worse than 18-55..

I will take a look at home and see if I got any of those wide group shots. If I have I will post a sample.

Keystone is a type of distortion of the image, where the top is stretched compared to the bottom. It is quite fast and easy to fix in photoshop.

BTW I saw your WTB post in the B&S forum. I have 2 of these lenses (actually one belongs to my wife). I bought one of them second hand for $280, from a shop in Peninsula Shopping Centre. No, I'm not trying to sell you one because I use mine all the time, just pointing out that your offer price in B&S looks very generous to me!

Hi,

The stock for Kit II just arrived this week. Was there to collect my Kit II, after waiting for 2 weeks. And saw quite alot of ppl collecting their cameras there too.

Give them a few more days, else you can call them.

cheers,

Hello toothie,
i had just recieve a sms from canon that i will need to wait for 2weeks for new stock :(

Btw, can someone recommend the brand of batt grip and spare batt for 550D please.
thank you in advance.

Hello toothie,
i had just recieve a sms from canon that i will need to wait for 2weeks for new stock :(

Btw, can someone recommend the brand of batt grip and spare batt for 550D please.
thank you in advance.

Hi BrownInu,

Urrgg,,,, soo fast the stock ran out? Hope that you are able to get your camera before your trip.

I am looking at this third party grip. It looks similar to the Phottix third party grip. The good thing is, it is throwing a free remote switch!

http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/Battery-Grip...tem&pt=Batteries_Chargers&hash=item335e828fe4

cheers,

Hi BrownInu,

Urrgg,,,, soo fast the stock ran out? Hope that you are able to get your camera before your trip.

I am looking at this third party grip. It looks similar to the Phottix third party grip. The good thing is, it is throwing a free remote switch!

http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/Battery-Grip...tem&pt=Batteries_Chargers&hash=item335e828fe4

cheers,

wow the batt grip + 2batt + wired remote looks like a good deal! Too bad I bought my 3rd party remote first followed by the phottix BG w/o batt.

I will take a look at home and see if I got any of those wide group shots. If I have I will post a sample.

Keystone is a type of distortion of the image, where the top is stretched compared to the bottom. It is quite fast and easy to fix in photoshop.

BTW I saw your WTB post in the B&S forum. I have 2 of these lenses (actually one belongs to my wife). I bought one of them second hand for $280, from a shop in Peninsula Shopping Centre. No, I'm not trying to sell you one because I use mine all the time, just pointing out that your offer price in B&S looks very generous to me!

WOW OMG o.o which shop u buy frm? but thats the one without OS right? my offer was for the new OS HSM equipped model :) but hey $280 for the older model is still a bargain! :D

hmm could it be juz that lens has that problem? i read reviews showing different problem with the same model but it seems like its due to manufacture rather than actual design

Hi BrownInu,

cheers,

Whoa, toothie!!
The ebay package look so tempting. Just that it never state which brand of grip is it.
From the description, it mention that the batteries are canon batt.
The remote switch as well.

Wonder is it trustworthy

Whoa, toothie!!
The ebay package look so tempting. Just that it never state which brand of grip is it.

Wonder is it trustworthy

brand is meike. looks like it came out of the same factory as phottix. hint: go check the placement of the screws

Whoa, toothie!!

Wonder is it trustworthy
I believe someone from clubsnap asked the seller, the brand is Meike.

Never heard this brand before. There are quite a number of offer that sell phottix at ard the same price (without the free remote).

Last edited:
I believe someone from clubsnap ask, the brand is Meike.

Never heard this brand before. There are quite a number of offer that sell phottix at ard the same price.

i dont think theres one that gives free remote leh... if got pls link. anw the meike and phottix seem to be frm the same factory. difference in probably in packaging and warranty

WOW OMG o.o which shop u buy frm? but thats the one without OS right? my offer was for the new OS HSM equipped model :) but hey $280 for the older model is still a bargain! :D

hmm could it be juz that lens has that problem? i read reviews showing different problem with the same model but it seems like its due to manufacture rather than actual design

Yes you are correct, there is no OS on my lens.

Maybe it was only my particular 17 - 85mm lens that was no good, I really cannot say. All I know is that the Sigma is much much better for edge sharpness compared with the Canon lens that I had. But if the Canon lenses do have such quality variation, you will need to be careful to select a good sample. Good luck!

i dont think theres one that gives free remote leh... if got pls link. anw the meike and phottix seem to be frm the same factory. difference in probably in packaging and warranty

Ya, for that price, the Phottix one does not comes with the free remote. Had not tried the Aputure one but anyway I got myself the YongNuo RS-802 Remote Switch for less than S$9 after recommended by some brother here. There is another one that have the same offer as here. Had been tempted to get the free gift initially too but later decded for the Phottix Grip.

Last edited:
Ya, for that price, the Phottix one does not comes with the free remote. Had not tried the Aputure one but anyway I got myself the YongNuo RS-802 Remote Switch for less than S$9 after recommended by some brother here. There is another one that have the same offer as here. Had been tempted to get the free gift initially too but later decded for the Phottix Grip.

Seems like a number of 550D users are using phottix grip.
Pardon my noobie question, i dont get to view the shutter button on the batt grip from the pic itself. Can i verify if there is one for the grip?

I am wondering if i shall wait for my camera to arrive then purchase add on.

it is good to have the camara grip if u r on ur camara most of the time... but i personally find it too heavy and bulky so that why i decide to hold it back.

hi 550 bros, I got a lens hood for my 50mm prime and realised it attaches to where the filters are also screwed. Now it seems too heavy and I am concerned it may affect the mech of the lens. Should I be worried? noob here :)

Thanks

hi 550 bros, I got a lens hood for my 50mm prime and realised it attaches to where the filters are also screwed. Now it seems too heavy and I am concerned it may affect the mech of the lens. Should I be worried? noob here :)

Thanks

It won't affect the mech of the lens, anyway adding on the hoods won't make it alot heavier imo. :eek:

Pardon my noobie question, i dont get to view the shutter button on the batt grip from the pic itself. Can i verify if there is one for the grip?

Yes there is a shutter button, the battery grip allows the photographer to take potrait shots while the arms remain in the similar position as taking landscape. This aids in stability while your elbows tuck in closer to your body.

Check the pic and video.
http://cheesycam.com/?p=1176

Thanks

Whoa! yours hands very sensitive hor ;p How does the hood which is outside will affect the mechanics of the inside of the lens? It's not like you switch to AF mode, then you keep turning the focusing ring mah.

Relax Bro! ;)

Hi all I don't know whether this is the right place to post this.

I am currently deciding between 17-55 f2.8 Is Usm and 15-85. Many says that for crop bodies 17-55 has the best IQ. But I have seen Csers mentioned that the 15-85 has the same IQ too. I need some advice. Or any other alternatives :).

Thanks in advance.

Hi all I don't know whether this is the right place to post this.

I am currently deciding between 17-55 f2.8 Is Usm and 15-85. Many says that for crop bodies 17-55 has the best IQ. But I have seen Csers mentioned that the 15-85 has the same IQ too. I need some advice. Or any other alternatives :).

Thanks in advance.

ask ur self if u need wide angle + extra zoom. then make the choice. cos most ppl will juz support the lens they own so its up to u to research on reviews, check out their samples and charts ;)

There is shutter button on the phottix one i got.

Status
Not open for further replies.