Official Canon 550D User Thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

Just pop in and newly join this forum to say "Hi......".:)

I had just bought a Canon EOS 550D over the weekend.

I am new to DSLR, requires a lot of help and advise from all of you (senior/ old bird )....;)

Thanks in advance......

don't forget to join in the upcoming 550D user outing .. check out the outings and gatherings folders..

Nooooooo.....

Anyway,i *might* pop by after the Pentax outing.And decide on lunch option and the places you wanna shoot:)

sure thing then.. dont forget to treat all of us drinks ar..

550D bros,

I just bought mine and really need your help about settings:

Setting 1: (for day photog portrait and architecture)

Setting 2: (For night photog with portrait and landscape)

I know it can be found by practice and by learning the cam , but suddenly my friend invited me for a trip this coming weekend and I'm still not so familiar with the cam.

550d, 18-135 and 50mm prime

really appreciate your help.

This is just a recommendation.. The Aluminum one cost $180, the Carbon Fibre T2204X cost me a price tag of $370..

wow so your tripod costs $370? must be a gem. :bsmilie:

$180 for a 10kg load sounds like a good deal, i might consider getting a better tripod. :cool:

Hello, I'm new for 550D & this forum. Can I join this event?

Definitely, i'm new to this forum as well!

Hi all, I just my 550D three weeks ago. I paid $1200 for the body and $1550 for the 17-55mm f2.8 from Al** Photo. Got one 8GB card and a canon camera bag free.Nice and friendly service from the lady called Linda.

You bought the canon 17-55 f2.8 or the tamron one?

You should ask people to PM you their contact like i do.Some people are not comfortable with leaving their contact on the thread.BTW,i think you should start a thread in Gatherings & Outings sub-forum.Too confusing already:confused:

P.S I can help you with regards to starting a new thread:)

Thanks for creating the thread! :D

Done.Pentax user can join or not?Hehe:sweat:

Just join lor, i'm sure everyone will welcome you also! :cool:

sure thing then.. dont forget to treat all of us drinks ar..

:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

550D bros,

I know it can be found by practice and by learning the cam , but suddenly my friend invited me for a trip this coming weekend and I'm still not so familiar with the cam.

Settings wise really depend on the lighting and place you are at. It's hard to give you an exact setting.

For night photog, recommend you bringing a tripod! :)

550D bros,

nice set of lens though i doubt u will change lens during a holiday, too troublesome.

if ur switching frm a compact to a dslr, it can be quite challenging cos usually the compact auto mode handle everything for u. if u used dslr b4 but recently changed to this model then u shld be able to pick up pretty fast. 550D is quite easy to use.

basically i usually play ard with ISO and exp (and very rarely shutter time).

most of the time i set mine to ISO 400 (juz to be safe). the 550D has a very good noise profile but there is still noise visible at ISO 800 so if u find ur environment too dark then juz bump up the ISO. if its too bright then lower it.

if u are in a room and lighting is bad then u may want to drop the exp to increase shutter speed and vice versa.

aperture depends on how much bokeh u want.

if u wanna capture shots of the moon or night sky then play with shutter speed.

i'll leave it to the pros to elaborate...

Killerslayer, hows your 55-250 IQ? thought of getting that initially. but read some reviews that it IQ isn't very good with distortions.

Last edited:
hahaha.. i just plain lazy... i put everything auto... only when i really want to take good shoots then i select lor :)

I am saving for 24-70 f2.8L and 70-200 f2.8L IS or IS II... now just use 50mm f1.8 :D lol

For those who are interested to see video from 550D with 10-22mm USM lens.
Uploaded full 400MB RAW to youtube, just 1 min video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xPDia12Yq4
It is about pokemon if anyone is wondering. lolx

Status
Not open for further replies.