Official Canon 500D user Thread (part 2)

thanks, i am quite sure i will be getting body only + 17-55 lens. save up the $200 or so from not getting kit I and put that towards the 17-55. just waiting to see 550D's pricing first before i take the plunge (and if i decide on 500D, hope price will drop further too ;p )

just planning ahead, what will be a good lens to get in the future to complement the 17-55?

Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS and Tonika 11-16 f2.8 will be good imo. Damm... I need to dig more money for this lens :think:

Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS and Tonika 11-16 f2.8 will be good imo. Damm... I need to dig more money for this lens :think:
price of the canon also very nice :bigeyes: :sweat: any more affordable alternatives?

price of the canon also very nice :bigeyes: :sweat: any more affordable alternatives?

My suggestion is use the 17-55 first and decide which range you really need. I choose 18-200 for the start and i have no regret. It definitely an all rounder walk about lens. but now i know specifically what i really need and i'm saving towards that.

I will say if you really want cheap alternative but with the extra reach, 55-250mm is a good interim solution. You can also rent those expensive lens to have a hands on to understand more about those lens.

if you have the extra cash, 70-200 f4L IS or 70-200 f2.8L IS (f4 is sharper than f2.8 but the decision on this 2 lens really depend on the light condition you will use them in)

Last edited:
I agree with theory87. Try what you have first, that’s the best way to know what you lack.

I have a 55-250 for the occasion telephoto needs. So far for events if need, I rent a 70-200.

you mean the plastic/rubbery coating thingy? mine came off too! but im not sure whether its cause of me or not lol

i called canon

they ask me bring my cam down

owell time for servicing too LOL

My suggestion is use the 17-55 first and decide which range you really need. I choose 18-200 for the start and i have no regret. It definitely an all rounder walk about lens. but now i know specifically what i really need and i'm saving towards that.

I will say if you really want cheap alternative but with the extra reach, 55-250mm is a good interim solution. You can also rent those expensive lens to have a hands on to understand more about those lens.

if you have the extra cash, 70-200 f4L IS or 70-200 f2.8L IS (f4 is sharper than f2.8 but the decision on this 2 lens really depend on the light condition you will use them in)

I agree with theory87. Try what you have first, that’s the best way to know what you lack.

I have a 55-250 for the occasion telephoto needs. So far for events if need, I rent a 70-200.

thx, cant wait to get the cam & lens! :) i think my main concern is whether or not i will need the reach (i doubt so coz i hardly use the zoom on my P&S but being the typical KS singaporean, i want everything, just in case).

btw, read that 550D will be coming out with 18-105mm lens instead of 18-200. do you think it's better choice to get 550D + 18-105mm lens kit instead of the body + 17-55 lens? kinda redundant to have both 18-105 & 17-55 lens coz of the overlap? or not?

i mentioned previously i will be bringing this cam with me for my trip and intending to bring only 1 lens... scared the 17-55 will not be enough that's why considering wider range..

how does the 55mm translate to when it comes to a canon ixus 860? how many times zoom? i dunno how to count & figure out crop factor, etc.. :dunno:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/

Read the reviews of the 18-135 (this is lens coming with the 550D)

The IQ is not that good at all. It makes more sense to get the 17-55 if you have the cash and are just starting out. Or even stick with the 18-55IS

Unless you need the range, in which case I think the 15-85 is better or 18-200 if you absolutely need telephoto.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/

Read the reviews of the 18-135 (this is lens coming with the 550D)

The IQ is not that good at all. It makes more sense to get the 17-55 if you have the cash and are just starting out. Or even stick with the 18-55IS

Unless you need the range, in which case I think the 15-85 is better or 18-200 if you absolutely need telephoto.
thanks! i think i will stick to 17-55 :)

55mm on 500D or 550D is roughly 3x zoom. If you need a good walkabout with long reach, you won't go wrong with 18-200mm. Else the IQ of 17-55 f2.8 will be better.

I just got myself a used 500D and its kit lens that comes with it, EFS 18 - 55mm IS. However, I don't know if its the settings... my pictures didn't turn out sharp or detailed to what I thought it should. Is it the lens or my settings? I was using "P" mode.

Anyone has similar experiences?

I just got myself a used 500D and its kit lens that comes with it, EFS 18 - 55mm IS. However, I don't know if its the settings... my pictures didn't turn out sharp or detailed to what I thought it should. Is it the lens or my settings? I was using "P" mode.

Anyone has similar experiences?
Hi there!

Do post sample shots or give us more detail on what were you shooting? (Indoors, night scene etc.) and also settings ( flash, shutter speed, ISO, Aperture etc)

Help us help you help us all!

The 500D with kit lens is capable of pretty decent shots, so don’t worry if it’s the gear :)

Hi there!

Do post sample shots or give us more detail on what were you shooting? (Indoors, night scene etc.) and also settings ( flash, shutter speed, ISO, Aperture etc)

Help us help you help us all!

The 500D with kit lens is capable of pretty decent shots, so don’t worry if it’s the gear :)

Ok! Thanks! Let me try to upload some sample shots I took during a 8 year old birthday party. I am totally lost in DSLR as I shoots mostly films and on vintage cameras. Technologically idiot lah!!

f/5.6 at 1/60sec ISO: 320

f/5.6 at 1/60sec ISO: 160

f/4.5 at 1/13sec ISO: 1600

I set the camera to "P" mode and guess it decides what was the best for the lighting. All pictures were taken without flash and at around 1pm.

I was hoping for crisp sharp pictures as I know that the kit lens 18 - 55 is not a bad lens afterall.

4454069243_f461ee34ca.jpg

f/5.6 at 1/60sec ISO: 320

4454073377_f9c68f7180.jpg

f/5.6 at 1/60sec ISO: 160

4454079245_677cd99c08.jpg

f/4.5 at 1/13sec ISO: 1600

I set the camera to "P" mode and guess it decides what was the best for the lighting. All pictures were taken without flash and at around 1pm.

I was hoping for crisp sharp pictures as I know that the kit lens 18 - 55 is not a bad lens afterall.

all 3 pictures looks pretty alright to me, pretty decent bokeh as well. except the last shot of the kid, whereby i think the shutter speed of 1/13 is not fast enough to "freeze" the action thus her face does appear to be slight blurred.

I was scheduled for a class at the product training session but I had forgotten...... :( can I reschedule it?

Hello ppl. Just wanna ask, if you already own an eos500d is it worth it to upgrade to 550d? Lets say u have the budget to do so. Pls elaborate, thanks!

Hi everyone! I've only been into this community for a week only. :)
I bought a C 500D in the previous IT show, had a great time deciding on 550D or 500D too.
I got a question, which is better, UV filters or MC UV filters? Whats the difference?
Thanks!

Hello ppl. Just wanna ask, if you already own an eos500d is it worth it to upgrade to 550d? Lets say u have the budget to do so. Pls elaborate, thanks!
Frankly no.

The difference - Some more resolution, 1 stop better 'usable' ISO (from 3200 to 6400), Better video features, slightly longer (not larger) screen.

Unless you’re a hard core videographer you’re better off being happy with what you have. Save your $ for an awesome lens like the 15-85 which is the same price as a 550D body.

all 3 pictures looks pretty alright to me, pretty decent bokeh as well. except the last shot of the kid, whereby i think the shutter speed of 1/13 is not fast enough to "freeze" the action thus her face does appear to be slight blurred.
I agree completely.

Your shutterspeed is the issue with the last photo. For handheld, the min shutter for handholding is 1/X, where X is the focal length you’re shooting at.

Because 500D is a cropped 1.6x camera, a 55mm focal will be 88mm. so your minimum is at least 1/80 or 1/100. Image Stablisation (IS) on will save u back some, so you’ll need about 1/50 to get a stable image.

Also, for constantly moving subjects like children, you’ll need a faster speed, like 1/100 at least. Seeing you’re already at 1600 ISO, i think you’re shooting in too dark an environment already.

In short, more than a lens, you probably need an external flash. Get one and learn to use it. :)

Read this:
http://reviews.davidleetong.com/?p=792

Frankly no.

The difference - Some more resolution, 1 stop better 'usable' ISO (from 3200 to 6400), Better video features, slightly longer (not larger) screen.

Unless you’re a hard core videographer you’re better off being happy with what you have. Save your $ for an awesome lens like the 15-85 which is the same price as a 550D body.

noted...thanks! :)