Official 5DMKII users thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
any one here using carl zeiss lens on mark II?
would like to know the performance of the lens on this body compared to the respective canon L? which performs better?
like the Distagon T* 2,8/21, Distagon T* 1,4/35 (830 gram), Distagon T* 2/35
am seriously considering these lens. so hope bros would give some advises esp on the Distagon T* 2,8/21 and the super heavy distagon t* 1,4/35 is it really worth the extra weight compared to canon 35L?
Thanks!

Zeiss Ze are manual lens - its takes getting use to n ur good to go-
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=768623

Canon Ts-E 24L II is another manual super lens - if ur creative enough-
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=701862

checkout the website fr the 35 or 50mp - enjoy

;)

HI guys,

Found the answer to my question.

Last edited:
hey guys, i plan to get a 5DMKII soon but i was wondering if i should get just the body alone or with a kit lens. also, any shop to recommend to get it from or should purchase it second hand? thanks! :)

hey guys, i plan to get a 5DMKII soon but i was wondering if i should get just the body alone or with a kit lens. also, any shop to recommend to get it from or should purchase it second hand? thanks! :)

If you already have a EF lens in the focal length that you intend to use, then you may just want to get the body alone. When bought with the 5D MK II, the 24-105mm lens costs around $1400, which is not much cheaper than if you were to buy it seperately.

As for whether or not to purchase it second hand, it all depends on your budget. Shops-wise prices don't defer much.. range from $3136 to $3200. Just get from the shop that you are more comfortable with.

pistiselpisagape said:

I just bought mine 6 days ago. Funnily I haven't really used it that much. Took my 50d instead to the zoo yesterday. The 24-105 is close to $200 cheaper, I didn't get it tho as I prefer the the 24-70mm. But need to slowly save up for it!

I just bought mine 6 days ago. Funnily I haven't really used it that much. Took my 50d instead to the zoo yesterday. The 24-105 is close to $200 cheaper, I didn't get it tho as I prefer the the 24-70mm. But need to slowly save up for it!

Sometimes the 1.6x crop factor of the smaller sensor cameras come in handy... tried taking photos of a soccer match a couple of days ago with the 5D II and the 70-200... found that I couldn't get 'close enough' to the individual players even at 200mm focal length.

aero93t said:
Sometimes the 1.6x crop factor of the smaller sensor cameras come in handy... tried taking photos of a soccer match a couple of days ago with the 5D II and the 70-200... found that I couldn't get 'close enough' to the individual players even at 200mm focal length.

200mm on ff no way for soccer. ESP if it's a full size pitch. I usually go with 70-200 + 1.4 extender and 50d. And I assume u are at the pitch side.

Hi guys. I bought a 5dmk2 for my father about 4 months ago before I left for Canada. As I'm currently out of the country, I can't really test the camera out myself. My father bought a 24-105 from ddelectronics and I did manage to see some of shots taken, they all seem pretty soft to me and not what I would expect from a L lens. Will I be able to bring the 24-105 lens to Canon and get it calibrated with the 5d? I understand I might need to pay since it's not under warranty.

If you already have a EF lens in the focal length that you intend to use, then you may just want to get the body alone. When bought with the 5D MK II, the 24-105mm lens costs around $1400, which is not much cheaper than if you were to buy it seperately.

As for whether or not to purchase it second hand, it all depends on your budget. Shops-wise prices don't defer much.. range from $3136 to $3200. Just get from the shop that you are more comfortable with.

heyy. thanks for the response. erm right now i only have a 50mm lens, so wonder what would be good for a walkabout lens? umm. i don't really have any particular shop in mind to purchase it from, just any that give me a good price i'm fine with it. :)

heyy. thanks for the response. erm right now i only have a 50mm lens, so wonder what would be good for a walkabout lens? umm. i don't really have any particular shop in mind to purchase it from, just any that give me a good price i'm fine with it. :)

Walkabout lens will depend on your shooting style. I think most people using full frame cameras will pick the 24-70 or the 24-105 as a walkabout lens. I do not have either and the shortest EF lens i have is a 50mm f1.4. At the moment i am quite comfortable using 70-200... quite tempted by the 24-70L but holding back after reading about the issues some people have with this lens.

If paying in cash the lowest price i know of is SLR Revolution ($3136).. If paying by credit card it is Parisilk ($3200).

Walkabout lens will depend on your shooting style. I think most people using full frame cameras will pick the 24-70 or the 24-105 as a walkabout lens. I do not have either and the shortest EF lens i have is a 50mm f1.4. At the moment i am quite comfortable using 70-200... quite tempted by the 24-70L but holding back after reading about the issues some people have with this lens.

If paying in cash the lowest price i know of is SLR Revolution ($3136).. If paying by credit card it is Parisilk ($3200).

What kind of issues were you referring to for 24-70mm?

Ohh thanks! I'm planning to get the 70-200 one. but you think shld get it second hand or from shop? is battery grip necessary?

Ohh thanks! I'm planning to get the 70-200 one. but you think shld get it second hand or from shop? is battery grip necessary?

Again i think the choice between getting a 2nd hand vs brand new lens depends on your budget. I don't have the battery grip and don't feel the need for it... at least not at the moment.

Hey guys what would be a good uwa lens for FF?

Actually there aren't that many to choose from... the 16-35 II seems way overpriced, especially when compared to the 17-40.

Again i think the choice between getting a 2nd hand vs brand new lens depends on your budget. I don't have the battery grip and don't feel the need for it... at least not at the moment.

hahah actually i'm on a tight budget. so i would look at second hand items. anyway, do you know whats the average price range for the body as well as for 70-200 ? thanksss :D

hahah actually i'm on a tight budget. so i would look at second hand items. anyway, do you know whats the average price range for the body as well as for 70-200 ? thanksss :D

5D II body is $3136 to $3200+. 70-200 has got 5 variants, and it depends on which one you are looking for.

70-200 f4 (non-IS): probably around 1K
70-200 f4L IS: ~$1850-$1900
70-200 f2.8L (non-IS): ~$1900
70-200 f2.8L IS II: ~$3250 - $3400

aero93t said:
5D II body is $3136 to $3200+. 70-200 has got 5 variants, and it depends on which one you are looking for.

70-200 f4 (non-IS): probably around 1K
70-200 f4L IS: ~$1850-$1900
70-200 f2.8L (non-IS): ~$1900
70-200 f2.8L IS II: ~$3250 - $3400

Got my brand new 70-200mm f2.8 IS II at $2850 (grey).

Status
Not open for further replies.