Off Camera Flash(es) for M43 Cameras

ShioKhAzArD

Jun 19, 2016
Singapore
Hi All,
I am using a Panasonic DMC-G7. I have been shooting cosplay pictures and recently found that I require a better flash than the pop-up flash on the camera, to take better pictures as lighting is not always favorable. I am looking for a off-camera (shoe mount) flash with a high GN value (58 pref for weddings, not really a necessity just future proof, if not possible then forget it)

1. As high a GN as possible (58?)
2. Compact size and weight suited for M43 (I do understand that most high GN flashes are huge and heavy, so im open to suggestions/compromises)
3. Swivel -180 to +180 but some like Metz only have -180 to +120
4. -7/0 to 90 Tilt
5. TTL (as i am just starting on flashes so i have no experience to use manual)

Considerations:
1. Nissin i40
2. Nissin i60a (current choice)
3. Metz 64 AF-1
4. Metz 58 AF-2
5. Olympus FL-50R
6. Olympus FL-600R
7. Open to suggestions

Would appreciate feedback from other m43 users on what flashes they are using and where they bought them from.
Singapore only has the Nissin i40 (m43) available from the few shops that i have asked - SLR Revolution, TK Foto, Reddot Photo.
Seems most choices would require import from out country and would be much more costly due to shipping charges + gst, but see no other choice.
Thank you.

Of those that you mention, it seems the only one with a GN value of 58 or close enough, are the Metz and FL-50R. The rest are not really up to standard, even the Nissin i60a, which is GN 60 ONLY AT 200mm ZOOM which is a bit cheating since usually people would use 50mm or 24mm at ISO 100.

If you want something compact, the choices would be Nissin i40 and FL-600R. I'm not sure about Panasonic cameras, but if it doesn't have TTL wireless function, getting a TTL flash will not give you off camera TTL flash capability, unless you're talking about on shoe which I'm sure because of what you've said.

I use the FL-50R, FL-600R and FL-900R on my E-M1 and it's basically the same shape, so I suggest going for a use FL-50R at least or Metz 64 AF-1. FL-900R if you got the money, I am very impressed with the capabilities of the FL-900R with only the wireless mode failing to impress me, partly because of the tiny sensor for receiving wireless TTL signals.

In my experience, I rarely use the tilt down feature of any flash, partly cause I rarely shoot macro.

Thank you Spidey89

The reason why i was leaning to the Nissin i60a was that it was more compact than most the other other models while still being a little more powerful than the i40. I have read many reviews and pages on flashes and for many, size and weight was a major consideration for them.
Wireless TTL function may be of an issue to me in the future as the G7 has only Full TTL Exposure and might not have radio or wireless functions, I could consider to use a third party trigger for that if need be.
As a consumer, I naturally want my Flash to be able to do everything, and I understand that such a flash may not exist and I need to specify the use for the flash. So I was undecided on that and I came here to rely on the experience and know-how of my fellow Clubsnap members.

BTW did you get your FL-50R/600R/900R from overseas online? SG doesnt sell much m43 compatible flashes...

I am still hoping to hear more from the other members. Thank you.

FL-50R is local secondhand, 600R from Amazon Japan, 900R is on loan from the good folks of Olympus Singapore. There's always a trade off, can't expect a sports car speed in a mini cooper sized car at a Toyota price point that also flies

I got a Metz 58AF-2 to use with my GH3-4. If you need high GN and TTL this does the job quite reliably. Menu UI takes some getting used to. I recall the last time I handled a G7 it is super light though, so unless you're using it with heavier glass, this will definitely give you a top-heavy setup - which isn't a big deal to me since the overall setup is still light, but some ppl care a lot about 'balance'.

spidey sums it up. You gotta figure out where you wanna compromise.

What's your budget? That will help narrow down options.

Last edited: