Of wedding banquets and angpows...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tush

Jun 27, 2003
Visit site
I was discussing with one of my friends...
For weddings, usually how much do you give as angpow?
If you know that your friend is holding his/her wedding banquet in a restaurant rather than a hotel, would you give less?
For me normal friends, I usually give S$100-120 irregardless of venue (Fpr good friends, about S$200). But some of my collegues say that they give depending on venue (give less for restaurants). Is this a common practice? What is the usual amount people give?

tush said:
If you know that your friend is holding his/her wedding banquet in a restaurant rather than a hotel, would you give less?
For me normal friends, I usually give S$100-120 irregardless of venue (Fpr good friends, about S$200). But some of my collegues say that they give depending on venue (give less for restaurants). Is this a common practice? What is the usual amount people give?

now i think at least a hundred. inflation lah... sometime i ask around how much a table cost.... minimum must at least cover the couple cost of the table... but not so nice... i normally give more on top of the cost of the table (my share..).. maybe 25% more....

I will see the cost of the table, I will just tablecost/10 and pack the packet, maybe 5-10% more if I can afford it for that month. Sometimes I get 4 invitation in 1 month.. so have to forgo the 5-10%.

In short, whoever invites me sure suffer loss. ;p

espn said:
I will see the cost of the table, I will just tablecost/10 and pack the packet, maybe 5-10% more if I can afford it for that month. Sometimes I get 4 invitation in 1 month.. so have to forgo the 5-10%.

In short, whoever invites me sure suffer loss. ;p

basically same formular here for most people,
exception close friend and buddy, will be higher of course ;)

tush said:
For me normal friends, I usually give S$100-120 irregardless of venue (Fpr good friends, about S$200).
first of all, no such word as "irregardless", either you use "regardless" or "irregard".. hehe..

Anyway, I think you are pretty generous. Normally for me, and to the best of my knowledge of my friends, $80 for hotel ballroom and $60 for resturants. For good friends, probably will gunna rope in to help.. so it's still $100 the most. I think relatives are the worst.. $60 for a family of ten?
:)

eric69 said:
first of all, no such word as "irregardless", either you use "regardless" or "irregard".. hehe..
QUOTE]
Heh.. thanks for correcting my grammar :embrass: ;)

definitely must give more than the cost of the dinner..

tush said:
depends on a few factors:
- relationship wif yr frd
- venue of wedding dinner

if its rest. maybe 60 or 40 will do
if hotel like fullerton abt 120?
:think:

definitely must cover their cost (therefore WHERE is important).

thereafter, depending on how well I know them, maybe 10% to 100% more. also depending on how you want the friendship/relationship to go.

cannot let friends lose money what, enough stress for them already...

side track a little,

what's the lowest amt u had received for your wedding dinner???
lowest i received was S$5.00 :cry:
lucky my other guest very generous otherwise :sweat: :sweat: :sweat:

last time, my friend held her dinner at fullerton i think. Her husband is my bro's fren. And he told my bro that he didn't invite us because he thought it would be better to invite others who would give them at least $120 each(the table cost is abt $1100), than to invite us. (coz we were fresh grads then). He said we WOULDNT be able to afford it, so no point asking us. :flame: :hammer:

mysonlovenemo said:
side track a little,

what's the lowest amt u had received for your wedding dinner???
lowest i received was S$5.00 :cry:
lucky my other guest very generous otherwise :sweat: :sweat: :sweat:

$5?!!
Was it decades ago? or recently? Well, i guess if recently, then yr fren is not on good terms with u or he is affected by economic downturn.

Some people give very little for church or void deck buffet.

innovas1 said:
$5?!!
Was it decades ago? or recently? Well, i guess if recently, then yr fren is not on good terms with u or he is affected by economic downturn.

Some people give very little for church or void deck buffet.

dinner abt 4 years ago,
held at a rented hall,
just glad the S$5.00 is one off exception, the rest mostly ard S$60 and above..... so more or less break even......

innovas1 said:
last time, my friend held her dinner at fullerton i think. Her husband is my bro's fren. And he told my bro that he didn't invite us because he thought it would be better to invite others who would give them at least $120 each(the table cost is abt $1100), than to invite us. (coz we were fresh grads then). He said we WOULDNT be able to afford it, so no point asking us. :flame: :hammer:
this is sh*t

lolz

my sister had abt 36 tables at fullerton.. each table is 1200

and she made a loss of 20K
:angry: :angry:

i found 1 angbao nameless which was packed in 2 $2 :angry:

RuthBaby said:
this is sh*t

lolz

my sister had abt 36 tables at fullerton.. each table is 1200

and she made a loss of 20K
:angry: :angry:

i found 1 angbao nameless which was packed in 2 $2 :angry:

woa!
$4 only.. Maybe $4 for 1 couple..

so stingy!!!!!

IMO i think wedding dinner ang pows largely depends on your relationship with people daily.
if you are those sociable and sincere then i think those invited will not be hard-hearted enough to give any amount know that you will make a loss at the end of the dinner.
i am not saying those who get small ang pows are not sincere.
however, some crazy people i know just get a kick out of having cheap dinners.

Sometimes i think its your parents relationship with those people whom they invite to their son/daughter's wedding that decides how much ang pows they receive.

wah...$100 so generous.
I been to conrad...and I give $80
Been to grand imperial at taka, also $80

innovas1 said:

It's so sad when the criteria of being invited to a wedding dinner depends on the ability to give a big angpow rather than the importance of the friendship isn't it? A wedding is supposed to be for friends and relatives to share the joy of the couple getting married, not to make money right? Of course the guests shouldn't be hard-hearted to purposely give an angpow that is ridiculously low and doesn't do justice to the standard of the dinner; while those who have limited means to give shouldn't be chastised for it.

Sigh, angpows. One of the problematic Chinese practises.

P.S.: Don't hantam me, I am not racist, I am Chinese too. :bsmilie:

It is how much you think the couple is worth. Sometimes I give $30, sometimes I give $80 purely depending on how close the couple is to me.

Sometimes I put tissue paper inside the angpow if the groom still owe me money. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.