Ode to Joie

Status
Not open for further replies.

evildolly

Jul 27, 2003
Singapore
sassystrawberry.com
Did a recent shoot for a wonderful friend of mine.
She's young, beautiful and has the voice of an Angel.
You can hear some of her music here

Photography: Me
Lighting: Han How
Model/Makeup/Styling: Joie

1. Too sweet to be real
1.jpg

2. Girl
(that you wish lived) Next Door
2.jpg

3. True Idol Style

3.jpg

4. Staying back after school?
(Yes please!)
j3.jpg

Hope you enjoy these photos as much as I enjoyed creating them w/ Joie^_^

Cheers!~
Steph

Last edited:
DEAD EYES!

Look at the 2nd picture, 1 eye is ok, but the other is dead.

Then there is the 3rd picture, those eyes looked like something from a horror movie.

You have to pay attention to details.

I love pic 1 and 3, pretty stunning. =)

Very very nice pictures on a whole.....

I'm also assuming u're using your lens wide open... hmm common problem with my 85 wide open... i get perfect faces only to be ruined by an unfocused other eye... freehand shooting, i'm only confident on 1.6

If that can be salvaged... your images are a class on its own.. and #1 is a good example... #2, #3 has that unfortunate blemish though :) and #4, is a shooting style way beyond me.. haha.. so can't comment too much on that

Very nice otherwise.. it's a thread i can check on pretty often... haha

Ejun

Last edited:
Hey, Great work! Thanks for sharing! If it is a cover of her album, hope you can post the album cover also! :)

very very nice series BUT you do notice tat only one eye is in focus. We all make this mistake and get carried away by our f1.2 1.4 1.8 lenses LOL so try to keep both in focus else it look really weird and DP mention about dead eyes. could it be the lashes? hmm... or rather i think it's the PP tat make it too outstanding compared to the low contrast of the background.

WOW, i being a noob really like #1 and #3..really like the photos a lot.

Any editing done to the photos? Really like the feel of it. Care to share what are the PP that you done?

Photos taken at a studio?

I need to have a good lighting setup to get the results of #1 and #3?

My fave would be #3. :)

very very nice series BUT you do notice tat only one eye is in focus. We all make this mistake and get carried away by our f1.2 1.4 1.8 lenses LOL so try to keep both in focus else it look really weird and DP mention about dead eyes. could it be the lashes? hmm... or rather i think it's the PP tat make it too outstanding compared to the low contrast of the background.
Hi there, thank you for your kind comments.

I guess it is a trade-off between the 'oomph' that you get from the F1.2 vs getting both eyes in focus. For future shoots I will try to play around with the aperture a little more, though I would admit to being absolutely infatuated with the wide-open aperture feel.

cheers!

WOW, i being a noob really like #1 and #3..really like the photos a lot.

Any editing done to the photos? Really like the feel of it. Care to share what are the PP that you done?

Photos taken at a studio?

I need to have a good lighting setup to get the results of #1 and #3?

Thanks!
Yes, other than #4, all the photos were taken in a studio with tungsten lighting. There were between 4 to 6 lights used, snood, softboxes...etc

My fave would be #3. :)
Thank you!

really stunning pictures there...
Thank you v much!

#1 and 2 is sweet. :lovegrin:
Thanks! Model is v sweet lah.

I love pic 1 and 3, pretty stunning. =)
Thank you^_^

Hey, Great work! Thanks for sharing! If it is a cover of her album, hope you can post the album cover also! :)
Hi there! My pleasure, I'm so glad that you enjoy it.

She hasn't cut an album yet, but would be planning to sometime in the near future. Meanwhile she's making plans for a solo performance this year. I can't wait. (big fan) ^_^

#1 and #3 is nice though abit tight imo...

Ur friend is lucky to have u as a friend :)
Thank you!
It goes both ways:) She's great.

Very very nice pictures on a whole.....

I'm also assuming u're using your lens wide open... hmm common problem with my 85 wide open... i get perfect faces only to be ruined by an unfocused other eye... freehand shooting, i'm only confident on 1.6

If that can be salvaged... your images are a class on its own.. and #1 is a good example... #2, #3 has that unfortunate blemish though :) and #4, is a shooting style way beyond me.. haha.. so can't comment too much on that

Very nice otherwise.. it's a thread i can check on pretty often... haha

Ejun

Yes I am, thank you very much for your comments. I will play around more with he different apertures, but I really am in love with the f1.2 feel :)

cheers!
Steph

Last edited:
DEAD EYES!

Look at the 2nd picture, 1 eye is ok, but the other is dead.

Then there is the 3rd picture, those eyes looked like something from a horror movie.

You have to pay attention to details.

lol..... you really hate girls with those contact lenses eh?

Nice pics. Love the mood of #3. :lovegrin: But also notice one eye sharp, one eye soft (oof).

Very powerful images!
Despite some of the flaws as discussed above, on whole, I still think that it is a great work! Good job and thanks for sharing!

lol..... you really hate girls with those contact lenses eh?

I would not say I hate the contact lens, but I don't like the end result. If the colored lenses add to the styling, add the the final image, I am fine. However, in every single case I have seen, it zapped life out of the eyes.

In this series, it added an opaque sheen over the eyes, and how can that be "acceptable"?

Status
Not open for further replies.