Observation & study: The Lesser Sand Plover (Charadrius mongolicus)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jan 17, 2002
Singapore / Taiwan
www.myviewfinder.net
Introduction – Characterized by their small flabby physiques, relatively large eyes and short bills, plovers are a widely distributed group of wading birds (or waders) belonging to the Family Charadriidae.

The Family Charadriidae, a 80+ species strong family of wading birds, is made up of two subfamilies, the Vanellinae that of lapwings (eg. the red-wattled lapwing vanellus indicus) belong and the Charadriinae of which consists of plovers and dotterels.

4sep04-mplover-08.jpg
4sep04-mplover-00.jpg

Left: A Mongolian Plover in a semi-breeding plumage, behind it, a juvenile
(f/6.3 1/400 ISO-160 M-exposure Flash OFF)

Right: The Mongolian Plover is featured in Marshall’s island 65cents stamp

A common non-breeding migrant to our island city, the Mongolian Plover or Lesser Sand Plover (Charadrius mongolicus) is one such member of this large family.

4sep04-mplover-01a.jpg

<<Click here to hear the mongolian plovers

Habitat – Like most shorebirds, Mongolian Plovers live and breed in open prairie, artic tundra, wetlands and coastal beaches. Rarely found inland, they are commonly seen foraging in scattered flock on tidal mudflats, a key source for their food supply.

4sep04-mplover-01.jpg

4sep04-mplover-04.jpg

4sep04-mplover-02.jpg

Top: The Mongolian Plover employs a “stealthy” probing technique of foraging for its food
f/6.3 1/500 ISO-200 M-exposure Flash OFF

Bottom: Stretching the limits, a juvenile Mongolian Plover pulling hard to “extract” its food from the mudflat
f/7.1 1/350 ISO-200 M-exposure Flash OFF

Diet and Feeding techniques – Insects, small crabs, worms and other invertebrates make up the common diet for these birds. However, unlike other members of its family that employ run-and-stop technique, the Mongolian Plover seems to adapt to a probing method of feeding that is very much like the one used by sandpipers.

4sep04-mplover-03.jpg

Slippery … a worm freeing itself from a juvenile plover’s beak
f/7.1 1/400 ISO-200 M-exposure Flash OFF

4sep04-mplover-06.jpg

A juvenile flexing its wings to dry it after a light shower
f/7.1 1/350 ISO-200 M-exposure Flash OFF

Distribution & Migratory Pattern – The Mongolian Plover is known to be a strongly migratory species that flies thousands of miles from their northern breeding ground to seek survival along coasts of Africa, Sumatra, India, Australia and SE Asia. The flock that migrated upon our shores hail from regions in Central/Northern Asia, it makes up one of the five recorded group around the world.

4sep04-mplover-05.jpg

Taking a short sprint across its foraging ground
f/6.3 1/400 ISO-160 M-exposure Flash@GN2.2m

Observations – According to observations made throughout the period of August and early September 2004, the birds appear to have arrived in Singapore toward the end of August. The initial flock is only about 50 birds, the last observation made in the 2nd week of September reveals that it has grown time fold to over 150 birds strong.

4sep04-mplover-09.jpg

An adult in its semi-breeding plumage
f/5.6 1/320 ISO-400 M-exposure Flash@GN3.6m

Quite a number of birds in this flock are still in a semi-breeding plumage when they arrive at our shores. There are some juveniles in it that probably had taken on their first migration flight. The feeding ground these birds forage on is shared amongst other waders like the common sandpipers and pacific golden plovers.

4sep04-mplover-07.jpg

Juvenile plovers spot buff wash on its super-cilium and breast patches
f/7.1 1/640 ISO-200 M-exposure Flash OFF

Threats – A combination of factors like the destruction of nature habitats and the seemingly inexorable “habits” of mankind in polluting the environment are causing a decline in the population of these plovers and other migrating shorebirds.

More efforts have to be channeled into letting policy makers see what is already very wrong and to save what is left of our naturescape before it is too late. Let us join our hands in this effort, and though we may be small in numbers, I am sure we can make ourselves heard.

For your comments and viewing pleasure :)

Nice catch and great intro my friend (I salute you)! :thumbsup: Learn something new again :)

Noticed that the very first picture that you posted was taken using ISO 160. Is that an old pic or some kind of new equipment which I am not aware of?

Salute....

Now to buy more Toto and hope for the best....

Simply beautiful pics and thank a lot for the info. Now got a better understanding about these birdies. ;)

Cheers

Thank you ccplim, 2100 and Newguy69 for thy kind input and comments :)

To ccplim: I am not using my staple cam that day, it is nothing new so to say ;)

avataar,
these're great pixs wif excellent documentary std writings!!!
once again u had proven an immense dedication 2 your art
kudos 2 the great effort! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Once again, another stunning series of shots from you. Excellent write-up as well. Love the "juvenile flexing its wings to dry" shot. :thumbsup: Well done!

Garion said:
Once again, another stunning series of shots from you. Excellent write-up as well. Love the "juvenile flexing its wings to dry" shot. :thumbsup: Well done!

Thank you my friend, I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I do producing it ;)

Well Avatar, what can I say. Another wonderful series from you. Great pics and very informative info. Keep it coming bro.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Wonderful stuff. Almost as good as watching a NatGeo docu. Loved the second pix most because the plover in the foreground stands out so well.

Simply inspiring work - thanks for sharing these with us. Hope to learn more from you.

Excellent photoessay, very informative. Nice ground level perspective.

Just out of curiosity what focal length (w/extender, digital crop?) of lens was used? Able to get near them or must shoot from a considerable distance?

kudos from a newbie! it was like reading the NG magazine. great stuff. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.