Observation & study: The Halcyon pileata or Black-capped Kingfisher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jan 17, 2002
Singapore / Taiwan
www.myviewfinder.net
Introduction - The single most distinguishing feature of a kingfisher is its short legs and long straight bill that is generally pointed or hooked. The shapes of which these bills are categorized reflect sub-family groups of kingfishers, namely the Cerylinae & Alcedininae, and the Daceloninae. Functionally, the compressed pointed bill of kingfishers in the Cerylinae & Alcedininae families is meant for striking and grasping the prey. On the other hand, the broad and slightly hooked bill of the Daceloninae family of kingfisher is more adapt in holding and crushing the prey.

10oct04-pj-kf-5.jpg
10oct04-pj-kf-3.jpg

Left- The Halcyon pileata or Black-capped Kingfisher
Right- Harassed by a Collared Kingfisher, the Black-capped defends itself

The Halcyon pileata or Black-capped Kingfisher is a member of the Family Alcedininae. With a distinctive black crown that spans the side of its head, this single most distinctive feature separates the Black-capped Kingfisher from the others.

10oct04-pj-kf-stamp.jpg

It is featured in Hong Kong's 1975 Birds series of stamp valued at HK$2

Habitat & Diet - A non-residential winter visitor to our region, the Black-capped Kingfisher is found in places such as ponds, rivers and costal locations. This species of kingfisher hunts solo, preferring to perch and wait for its prey in a high branch. Its primarily diet consist of insects but sometimes, other inhabitants of its hunting ground like lizards and frogs form part of its diet. Aggressively territorial, the Black-capped is not tolerant towards its own kind and other kingfishers that hunt in a similar fashion to itself.

10oct04-pj-kf-4.jpg

In flight, the Black-capped Kingfisher swoops down from its perch towards its prey

10oct04-pj-kf-2.jpg

A Black-capped Kingfisher with its prey, a hermit crab from the mudflat

Observation – The Black-capped Kingfisher featured in the photos is found hunting in an open mudflat. A trio of Collared Kingfishers, of which one is an albino variant (see pic below), is hunting in its vicinity too. This lead to many acts of aggression between these species.

10oct04-pj-kf-6.jpg

Get lost! Here’s what a flip of its wing and an outburst of aggression symbolize.

10oct04-pj-kf-1a.jpg

10oct04-pj-kf-1.jpg

Top: Incoming aggressor. A Collared Kingfisher swooping towards the Black-capped whom had just gotten its feed
Bottom A face-off between both species. A common sight when they hunt in the same region

For your comments and viewing pleasure, thank you! :)

Nice series Avatar:thumbsup:. I see that your time and effort has been truly well rewarded. And you managed to catch it in flight too. Very well documented.

Wah, fight ah! :D Haha....i always like to witness acts like these. While it seems cruel, it is actually very natural and weeds out the weak.

The thing interesting is that even Collared KF also buay song Black Capped. Usually for the fish world, they only buay song conspecifics. Maybe KFs are intelligent enough to see that their new neighbours/intruders are eating the same stuff as they are. The idea is that conspecifics "look-alikes" eat the same thing, and if they look different enough they eat differently so pose a much smaller threat with regards to the food source.

Well documented indeed. ;)

If I may add, this black-capped that we saw seems to fly down to the mudflat to pick up its prey. The one that I saw at SBWR last year will hover in the air before diving into the water for its catch. Perhaps, its about fitting into the environment. :)

avatar> great shots and a wonderful informative commentary! as usual... :D looks like i've got plenty to learn from the many experts residing here... :sweat:

jeff > yeap, that's an albino collared kingfisher. :)

2100 > erm.. actually they are just unhappy with ANY competition.. whether anot it's the same species or genus... cats, birds, dogs etc all display the same behavior... ;p

skfoo > yeap, i would assume that's why too! :cool: wonderful how Nature adapts to her surroundings...

So cute :)

Is this in Singapore or Johore? Asking because the Albino Collared has only been reported in Malaysia so far.

s_wrx said:
jeff > yeap, that's an albino collared kingfisher. :)

Sorry that I souned suaku. But I thought albino are usually with red eyes and those with black eyes are known as leucistic? :dunno:

ccplim said:
Sorry that I souned suaku. But I thought albino are usually with red eyes and those with black eyes are known as leucistic? :dunno:

from what i know, pure albinos experience loss of pigments in the eyes, legs and feet. it's an extreme form of albinism and happens more frequently in captivity. quite rare in the wild. then there are the partial albinos, who appear more frequently in the wild.

the term leucistic is usually used to describe the loss of one or a few pigments, which would result in a bird with "paler" colours. birds in this group are different from albinos and partial albinos...

*shrugs* :sweat:

:thumbsup:

Great effort and thanks for sharing :)

s_wrx said:
from what i know, pure albinos experience loss of pigments in the eyes, legs and feet. it's an extreme form of albinism and happens more frequently in captivity. quite rare in the wild. then there are the partial albinos, who appear more frequently in the wild.

the term leucistic is usually used to describe the loss of one or a few pigments, which would result in a bird with "paler" colours. birds in this group are different from albinos and partial albinos...

*shrugs* :sweat:

I see..... Thanks for the clarification. Really have alot more to learn from you guys and gals :)

ccplim said:
I see..... Thanks for the clarification. Really have alot more to learn from you guys and gals :)

kudos to Avatar, chngpe01, skfoo, MadCat, Fred, erwinx and the rest of the experts here! they taught me much much more... ;)

s_wrx said:
kudos to Avatar, chngpe01, skfoo, MadCat, Fred, erwinx and the rest of the experts here! they taught me much much more... ;)

And I get to learn from you ;) A well taught student indeed :thumbsup:

Thank you everyone for the kind comments, advise and input :)

Let me answer to your questions in order of your postings :

Jeff: Yes, that is an albino of collared kingfisher. The environment these birds is in is partially polluted with mindless garbage disposal, a sad sight to see so to say. :(

2100: I believe this is the order of nature, and like human beings, each species/bird has its own characteristic. :)

Erwinx: Yup, that's right. ;)

SK: Good observation bro, I recall your description earlier, the black-capped uses either method to hunt with the dive method less frequently (or in accordance to its habitat) :)

:bigeyes: :bigeyes:
amazing shots!!!
i hd never seen kingfishers fight in so much details b4!great stuff!
won't mind buyin a print of the last pix from u! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Avatar, I was wondering since it's an albino, its lifespan should be significantly shorter and as such, sightings should be less probable. From ur pixs and erwinx's report, it would appear that either this is a well-formed albino or that there are plenty in that region. This makes me wonder yet again if the pollution is responsible for such mutation.

Such poor creatures :cry: .

Wonderful series Avatar, thanks for sharing. Really like the striking colours of the plumage, and how you captured it at the right moments with the wing and tail feathers all spread out.

Lovely series bro, the action sequences are wonderful. Great effort for providing such insight. :thumbsup:

Excellent article, my friend. :thumbsup: Very informative and helpful write-up as well, makes for a fascinating read, many thanks for the effort!! The stunning pics alone are a visual treat. My personal favourite is this shot, simply breathtaking! (the last shot of the series is a close second as well):

10oct04-pj-kf-4.jpg

Its much thanks to the dedicated efforts from you and the other experts here that we have such wonderful images to enjoy, and more importantly, learn and discover such wonderful insights on these beautiful creatures.

Cheers to you mate! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.