Status
Not open for further replies.

kernel

Sep 23, 2004
Singapore
Christchurch - Church Square
P1010212.jpg

P1010252.jpg

On the way to Kaikoura - street food by the sea, lobster to die for!
P1010268.jpg

Insect that makes super high pitch
P1010324.jpg

Pancake rocks
P1010334.jpg

Haast:
P10103801.jpg

P1010386.jpg

Thunder creek waterfall:
P1010405.jpg

Mt Aspiring, second highest peak in NZ
P1010471.jpg

P1010472.jpg

Lake Wanaka:
P10104901.jpg

Many rivers like this one found in NZ
P1010526.jpg

Milford Sound:
P1010579.jpg

Lovely ferns:
P1010611.jpg

Lake Te Anau:
P1010623.jpg

Haast:

Thunder creek waterfall:
P1010405.jpg

Hi kernel, can you shed some light on the precise location of thunder creek falls? I cannot pin point the location. Is it after HAast GAtes (in the direction from Wanaka to Haast)? For that matter, how about the blue pools?

are these 2 locations with clear signages along the Haast Pass Highway?

Thanks in advance!
EM

Hi EM,

Coming from Wanaka on highway 6 to Haast, you will hit Blue pool first. You can see the sign post but not very big, so you may miss it. It's a nice short walk to the pool and you get to go over a suspension bridge. The pool itself I feel is not that big of a deal. Still, I think it's worth the walk, if you have the time. Here's a photo of the pool.

P10104201.jpg

Next you will hit Gate of Haast. Straight after it you will find Thundercreek waterfall. I think it's one of the better waterfall there. Worth a visit, which requires only a short walk. Here's another photo of the waterfall.

P1010394.jpg

Kia ora,

Nice take of NZ and I'm glad that you didn't bypass Greymouth.

Many great scenery in Greymouth.:)

Great take of Milford Sound and the fern leaves.

Last edited:
I was at the South Island in Spring 2001. Took the Milford Sound cruise but somehow didn't enjoy it.

I also took the helicopter ride to the peak of Mt Cook.

You have lovely pics of the South Island.

Thanks xtemujin & Pearlang. Many tour will bypass the northern side of the south island, which is completely differently from the southern side. Unfortunately it rained 50% of the time when I was there and trips out to Picton sounds, whales watch and glacier flight were canceled. That's how it is in NZ. Good weather or bad weather, take what nature can offer and I think we should be able to enjoy the country.

Mt Aspiring, second highest peak in NZ
P1010471.jpg

P1010472.jpg
[/QUOTE]

:thumbsup::thumbsup: how long it takes you to climb at this point??:)

New Zealand, especially the South Island the scenery is so diverse. To see the South Island properly you would need nearly a month.

The best way to see the SI is to start at Christchurch, travel north to Kiakoura, go whale watching, can also see many seal colony's along the coast.

Then to Blenhiem and the Marlborough Sounds, visit the wineries, Picton, over to Nelson, if have a chance goto Tahaka, Collingwood, some magnificent coastal scenery.

Down through the Upper Buller Gorge, and this point, its very confusing in which way to go, goto Westport and down to Greymouth, visiting the Pancake Rocks on the way (pray for bad weather so the blowholes are roaring). I would stay here for a few days then travel upto Reefton, very old gold and coal mining town, can still see some of the old mines. Explore around the area.

Goto Shantytown, a replica tourist site which looks at the early West Coast, goto Kumara, and see where the Chinese mined for gold over 150 years ago, visit the lakes Moana and Brunner.

A must is to visit Arthurs Pass, fantastic scenery, I used to travel from Greymouth to Christchurch for a days drive just for the scenery.

Down to Hokitika, visit the greenstone factories, then further south to Hari Hari, Whataroa and you step back into the past, in some places. There are still pubs here that were built over 120 years ago, with lots of history.

Down to Franz and Fox Glacier, stopping at Lake Matheson, plenty of detours here to see history at Bruce Bay, Knights Point, then on to Haast.

Then to Central Otago, Wanaka, Queenstown, Milford Sound, to Dunedin, Invercargill, then upto Christchurch.

Some detours here would be to see the Waitaki River and the hydroelectric dams and the lakes made by these dams. My Grandfather, Father and Uncles worked on these dams in the 60's and 70's.

Dunedin is so diverse, you can still see the old castles on the hills that protect the city, the scottish settled here.

As you can see the South Island is so diverse, a little of everything for everyone.

So if you plan to go back again, think about what you want to see and also Wiki the South Island.

The pictures bring back alot of memories and yes I am biased for the West Coast, Greymouth, as I lived there for 15 years.

Cheers ...

Status
Not open for further replies.