NTU CAC peeps

Status
Not open for further replies.
ah, really that jialat ah??

btw, tkbonz, remember to get ur fren to contact me. I haven't heard anything from anybody yet.

Hi there. I am that friend that Tun Kai is toking about. HEE HEE...... So sorry for the late reply. Was busy with Photshopping and Tun KAi's NTU Band Mnemonic photos.
Andrew here. PLeasure.

1322052672_c7d0a9daa9.jpg

Ok...I have one...the most "jing4 bao4" one. The rest on my flickr!

how is the response so far?

i might have volunteered my lousy services if i dont have other commitments :)

perhaps its good to let people know how the workload would be, the challenges of the job, i.e. the potential lighting conditions, the usual places where shooting is done, etc where by people can then evaluate whether they feel they are up to the job or not.

similarly would there be more than one person covering per event etc? heh

btw with regards to XHXC.... i gave up waiting and left at 3.30. but i guess that few hrs wait wasnt a waste of time cuz i caught 2 abstract shots along the way and like them pretty much.

only caught one of them long before the event started.. was being interviewed when i shot him
91b801d8.jpg

manual focus/50mm 1.4

how is the response so far?

i might have volunteered my lousy services if i dont have other commitments :)

perhaps its good to let people know how the workload would be, the challenges of the job, i.e. the potential lighting conditions, the usual places where shooting is done, etc where by people can then evaluate whether they feel they are up to the job or not.

similarly would there be more than one person covering per event etc? heh

Response has been quite good.

The questions you raised are very valid questions, but I prefer to answer them offline rather than via a forum. It's more effective. That's why I request for meetup for every photog who signed up.

But briefly, the biggest technical challenge comes when it's an indoor concert. No flash allowed, yet it's low light (or even changing light) conditions, with movement/action. The places will really vary. It can be in mild conditions akin to what you guys encountered for XHXC, or at extreme. If you take a look at the 21 member clubs of CAC, most of them will organize concert-based events. This is a very good chance for people to gain experience in concert photography because opportunities like these usually require a media pass or an official pass of some sorts.

Response has been quite good.

The questions you raised are very valid questions, but I prefer to answer them offline rather than via a forum. It's more effective. That's why I request for meetup for every photog who signed up.

But briefly, the biggest technical challenge comes when it's an indoor concert. No flash allowed, yet it's low light (or even changing light) conditions, with movement/action. The places will really vary. It can be in mild conditions akin to what you guys encountered for XHXC, or at extreme. If you take a look at the 21 member clubs of CAC, most of them will organize concert-based events. This is a very good chance for people to gain experience in concert photography because opportunities like these usually require a media pass or an official pass of some sorts.

Low light then need prime lens and the latest DSLRs which have low noise at high ISO... And M Mode to avoide overexpose. But sometimes even the shutter sound is also a problem, like concerts at Esplanade. The staff working there check and make sure your camera is not too loud before allowing you to go in.

I covered Cheerobics in early 2006 and was told that no flash was allowed so not to affect the performers. But I was almost blinded by the flash from the audience... :sweat:

Low light then need prime lens and the latest DSLRs which have low noise at high ISO... And M Mode to avoide overexpose. But sometimes even the shutter sound is also a problem, like concerts at Esplanade. The staff working there check and make sure your camera is not too loud before allowing you to go in.

I covered Cheerobics in early 2006 and was told that no flash was allowed so not to affect the performers. But I was almost blinded by the flash from the audience... :sweat:

Eh? I covered impresario finals and Artist & Repertoire Challenge with only D70 & 18-200Vr or 18-55 kit. M mode to avoid overexpose??? But if you get your settings wrong, u're still gonna get overexposure or underexposure.

Eh? I covered impresario finals and Artist & Repertoire Challenge with only D70 & 18-200Vr or 18-55 kit. M mode to avoid overexpose??? But if you get your settings wrong, u're still gonna get overexposure or underexposure.

It's very good now that the 18-200 came out.

I covered the previous Impresario and need to keep on swapping between 18-70 and 70-200... :sweat:

http://www.ntu.edu.sg/chronicle/archives/vol12no9.pdf

I was a D70 user too, but noticed the noise level is lower on new DSLRs like D40.

Does CAC have any DSLR of its own now? I remember there was an old 300D.. :think:

Wah so zai, F/1.4 also can MF.

I use my F/1.8 no patience already, but no choice D40 doesn't support AF-D.

Btw a bit underexposed arh, matrix metering? :embrass:

yah a tack under exposed, esp the shadow towards the right

very conservative matrix metering

yah a tack under exposed, esp the shadow towards the right

very conservative matrix metering

I'm organizing a non-profitable D40 MO for my own friends, lemme know if any of your friends are interested. D40 Kit + 2G SD + Camera Bag @ 800, shop warranty, closing this Friday.

Yup...manual only works only if the lighting conditions are constant throughout the whole event...which i doubt so. For me, as I don't own fast lenses, I use A mode first and make test shots b4 event start so that I know wat approx wat iso to use to maintain high enough shutter speed to prevent subject motion blur. I also use either matrix or centre metering (see which one easier to control depending on the type of event lighting), then adjust the exposure conpensation if required...

Bottom line, there is no such thing as a fix rule for shooting events, you have to be adaptable and experienced...UNLESS you can afford fast lens with VR. LOL

by the way, the photo (manual focus : f1.4).

ummmm.. got CA.. take a good look at the borders of the t-shirt.. the CA is so obvious it cannot be used for an A4 size pic.. :(

the contrast, not enough...

usually we dont use f/1.4 for half-body potrait, f1.8 will have better results :)

sorry, i prefer to be critical

by the way, the photo (manual focus : f1.4).

ummmm.. got CA.. take a good look at the borders of the t-shirt.. the CA is so obvious it cannot be used for an A4 size pic..

the contrast, not enough...

usually we dont use f/1.4 for half-body potrait, f1.8 will have better results

sorry, i prefer to be critical

haha chill, its just a snapshot not a portrait :bsmilie: if you have met TK, we were just joking abt my manual AF-Continous mode on a thin depth of field i.e. widest, of which this is a test shot (and my only shot of that event because i left in impatience). you should have seen how TK moved forward and backwards it was pretty funny but i actually have a couple of sharp shots of him at f1.4 (not to be posted for his privacy)

This picture is a crop with 1/3 of the original picture removed, and it fails terribly to be a portrait, firstly originally it wasnt properly framed,
secondly i had to removed his left shoulder because one of the mediacorp artistes had his hand on the shoulder but hidden behind him, so it becomes ghostly..
thirdly lighting wasnt optimal, neither was background, half of him was in the shade,
forthly is the exposure, shouldnt be matrix for portraits in such lighting
fifthly, is the lack of eye contact
sixthly, wrong expression, there's no feel to the portrait.
seventhly, there is an overlap of that mediacorp guy and him, you can see the hair overlap at the right part of his head, this area is distracting
eightly, disturbing shadow under his right arm
ninthly, posture is too stiff
tenthly -> blahblahblahblahblah.

i normally critique myself pretty well i suppose. its a bad picture (not even qualified to be on my flickr), but unfortunately my only shot for that day. the rest are abstracts :bsmilie:

as per the CA, i'll have to check the original shot might have deleted it, not too sure whether the CA is excessive for a 8R print, i print my own photos though.

contrast issue is definitely due to the under exposure in this picture. i am a contrast freak, and have changed my gear/lenses many times over the past couple of months when i came back to sg, selected all my lense choices for colors and contrast.
i dont think i should blame the lens, its the user :)

however i maintain that there is no hard and fast rule as to which aperture to use for half body portraits, i.e. F1.8 feel free to discuss under the techniques subforum as i'm a little curious, perhaps its some trade secret? :confused:

from F1.4 to 1.8, working distance of 6.5 feet to a half body portrait, the Depth of field difference is at 2.3cm, i.e. 8.8cm vs 11.1cm. given my working distance in the actual shot, it was approx over 8 feet, and thus i had almost more than the amt of depth of field as per F1.8 at 6.5 feet.

i'm in midst of contemplating to add a ZF 85mm F1.4 to my collection, and i intend to use it wide open for half-body shots too, do you have any advice as to how i should stop this lens down in usage and working distance?

cheers,
ws

Wah so technical. But technicalities don't matter if you don't get your compositions right. I believe what's important for event coverage is having the guts and initiative to get the necessary shots at the necessary angles, and be varied about it. Sometimes, that can mean going up-front and close, and even getting the attention of your subjects to look in your direction.

Recess week almost over. Half the semester has passed by. Hope those who joined CAC had fun so far, covering events, the campus concert or even photographing one of the top photographers in Singapore for feature (hehe, I believe it was a stressful yet insightful experience, shooting the big guy in his own studio).

The team is still open to photographers who are interested to join us. Just drop me a PM.

yeah i had fun. haha, thanks for the opportunity again. can't wait for the next issue of art jam to be out.;)

Can outsiders go in to take photos? I mean non NTU students?

Status
Not open for further replies.