novice macro: please comment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nov 3, 2005
CCK
www.bigstockphoto.com
a novice in photography. did some macro shots at MOG this morning. would like to get some expert opinion as how i can improve. thx.

orchid_full.jpg

orchid1.jpg

I'm a novice too....:D Here is a novice's suggestion to another novice....:bsmilie:

Think about how you want to frame the subject before u starts shooting.
The 2 shots gives the impression that they're taken in a hurry.
Dun worry, I was like u.:bsmilie: Were the shots cropped?

Look at this macro forum and see how the "advance" shooters ;p frame or compose their shots.

Good luck!

kross said:
I'm a novice too....:D Here is a novice's suggestion to another novice...

Think about how you want to frame the subject before u starts shooting.
The 2 shots gives the impression that they're taken in a hurry.
Dun worry, I was like u. Were the shots cropped?

Look at this macro forum and see how the "advance" shooters ;p frame or compose their shots.

Good luck!

mmh, i don't really get it, maybe u have to be more specific. what is wrong with the composition? is it the background? or... :confused: and no, these 2 shots were not cropped, and they are what i would like to frame them.

the advanced shooters here seem to only shoot insects. i have not seen any shots of flowers, plants, etc in this forum. do u know of any master in photographing orchids? i hv been looking around but it seems not many ppl interested in shooting orchids. :dunno:

anyway, thanks for your comment. it is great to have someone pointing out your mistakes. :sweat:

for #1 there is a petal that looks funny, also check your bg and try to make it clean or at least the same colour, the white areas are distracting.

There is not enough DOF, try to get the whold orchid sharp or just focus on one area, right now it is neither here nor there. Lighting wise, you might want to try reflecting some light onto the orchid.

#2 does not work for me.

ortega said:
for #1 there is a petal that looks funny, also check your bg and try to make it clean or at least the same colour, the white areas are distracting.

There is not enough DOF, try to get the whold orchid sharp or just focus on one area, right now it is neither here nor there. Lighting wise, you might want to try reflecting some light onto the orchid.

#2 does not work for me.

thanks for your comments, really appreciate it. will go and do more homework before posting here again. :embrass:

1911 said:
thanks for your comments, really appreciate it. will go and do more homework before posting here again. :embrass:

Don't worry about it.
Part of the homework is posting here and get feedbacks on how to improve.......:)

Status
Not open for further replies.