Northern Europe - Sweden Norway Denmark

Status
Not open for further replies.
The weather was horrible when i was there. Stayed there for 3 days 2 nights, and it was raining and sleeting for 2 1/2 days :(

I was there during Easter, which is around March. I do have photos, but i'm too embarrased to show them haha :p I think they're all amateurish and pale in comparison to yours! :)

Good for you! Travel is always more memorable when you spend quality time with some local people....
I'll want the best of both worlds though... ;) ;p

Thanks for the links.... not likely to go anytime soon :(

behyx said:
However the only night i was there, it's snowing and i couldn't even see a star in the sky. So i gave up hopes in viewing the northern lights. Instead, i enjoyed the warmth and hospitality of a Swedish family (whom i met on the 18hr train ride) who invited me for a night stay in their home, chit chat and appreciate some rare swedish beer. Thinking back, the experiences i've got was way better than viewing northern lights ;)

FYI, this site have a lot of real time info about aurora phenomenon. They have data plots and shows approximately where aurora activity is the highest..

love all the photos, keep up the good work:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

wow your photos are lovely! love the way you present your photos too! i have the sudden urge to book a tix to go backpack around the globe :D

behyx said:
Do you have any pictures of Lofoten Islands to show? Which season did you chose to visit it?

Lofoten Island in June, 10.30pm ish... boating to an ideal location to witness the mid-night sun:

retirement.jpg

Did you go to any glacier or cruise along the floyds?

jasphotography said:
Lofoten Island in June, 10.30pm ish... boating to an ideal location to witness the mid-night sun:

retirement.jpg

Did you go to any glacier or cruise along the floyds?

nice pic you got there!

the glacier was closed during the time i went.. I actually wanted to take the cruise from Flåm to somewhere then hop on a bus to Bergen. However i booked my flaambana return ticket already, so no choice...

Just sharing my opinion for your consideration in making a good
coffee table book.:)
Hv u got a theme for each page of the coffee bk or rather the entire bk?
Some questions you would like to ask...
How would each page relate with one another??
the airplane pix with those of bicycle??
Lifestyle in Sweden and the landscape?
Coffee & plane window to the building structures...etc.

...all I can say is, 'Wow'!

A stunning collection of breathtaking photography. Very tastefully done, and the first few scenic pictures in the series are so picture-perfect that they looked like something from a dreamscape. Great job!

Hosea said:
Just sharing my opinion for your consideration in making a good
coffee table book.:)
Hv u got a theme for each page of the coffee bk or rather the entire bk?
Some questions you would like to ask...
How would each page relate with one another??
the airplane pix with those of bicycle??
Lifestyle in Sweden and the landscape?
Coffee & plane window to the building structures...etc.

Hmm good question. Kept me pondering.

I guess i don't have a very rigid theme for the entire book. This is usually the case for (my) travel photos, unless i choose to specialize the photos in one area such as food, or architecture, etc. So the range of pictures is very wide, but i strive to maintain my style as constant as possible across the pages.

In fact, each pair of pictures speaks for itself individually. For example why i chose to include bicycles and dedicated cycling tracks was because cycling is part of Danish lifestyle.

So Hosea, i'd love to hear in your opinion, what could be done to the book to make it much better? :)

behyx said:
Hmm good question. Kept me pondering.

I guess i don't have a very rigid theme for the entire book. This is usually the case for (my) travel photos, unless i choose to specialize the photos in one area such as food, or architecture, etc. So the range of pictures is very wide, but i strive to maintain my style as constant as possible across the pages.

In fact, each pair of pictures speaks for itself individually. For example why i chose to include bicycles and dedicated cycling tracks was because cycling is part of Danish lifestyle.

So Hosea, i'd love to hear in your opinion, what could be done to the book to make it much better? :)
Just sharing my opinion..:)
What is that message you wish other to know about your trip to Sweden?
That would be the theme...
I would think this is a good coffee-table book if I can feel a good flow
in the photos presentation. I will continue to sip my coffee when reading it.

You have color and B&E photos... matching those pages of color against the B&W is
Crucial.

If this is "A journey to Sweden”... includes those pix of airplane and food at plane.

Your photos show a "slow pace” impression... with no rush of life at this place.
Is this the msg. you wish to convey or the feeling you had when you were there?

There are many nice cake & bread cafes.....if u have one, include that next
To the Bread shot.( A good time to have B&W next to a color café photo).

As for the nice people you met, do you have one or two pix to convey this msg.??

End your book with a “lone” nice WA sunset landscape photo.

Words should be kept to minimal .Let the pix convey all that you want to tell.

Include a few real good "full frame" pix without montage to enhance the book.
You have one here... the guy cycling.

Hehe, thanks so much.

Too bad i didn't snap any outstanding pictures of the nice people i met. The only one i got is a picture of their cat though. hehehe ;p Yesterday, a good friend told me this series lack some human touch - i seriously agree. Perhaps it's because Scandinavian people tends to be more shy than i thought, and the gloomy early winter sky is very very depressing, i didn't snap much locals.

I'm glad you sensed a slow pace of life in my series. It's the truth! Most of the places other than the capitals are slow pace and i wanted to portray the feeling in my photos. In fact, after i'm back in SG, I started to realize that everyone eat very fast. :bsmilie:

I appreciate the idea about having a WA sunset photo.. Sad to say, there isn't much outstanding pics of it.. However i do have a sunrise pic taken in Copenhagen using film, the foreground is a river and some newly constructed buildings. Maybe i will use that photo to end off? It's hard to tell the differences between a sunrise and sunset. :bsmilie:

Hosea said:
Just sharing my opinion..:)
What is that message you wish other to know about your trip to Sweden?
That would be the theme...
I would think this is a good coffee-table book if I can feel a good flow
in the photos presentation. I will continue to sip my coffee when reading it.

You have color and B&E photos... matching those pages of color against the B&W is
Crucial.

If this is "A journey to Sweden”... includes those pix of airplane and food at plane.

Your photos show a "slow pace” impression... with no rush of life at this place.
Is this the msg. you wish to convey or the feeling you had when you were there?

There are many nice cake & bread cafes.....if u have one, include that next
To the Bread shot.( A good time to have B&W next to a color café photo).

As for the nice people you met, do you have one or two pix to convey this msg.??

End your book with a “lone” nice WA sunset landscape photo.

Words should be kept to minimal .Let the pix convey all that you want to tell.

Include a few real good "full frame" pix without montage to enhance the book.
You have one here... the guy cycling.

Excellent work! May I know what gears you brought up there?

centuryegg said:
Excellent work! May I know what gears you brought up there?

These are the gears:

Digital
Nikon D100
18-35mm f3.5-4.5
50mm f1.8
2 x 1GB lexar

Film
Mamiya RB67
50mm and 90mm
2 x mag.

and some ND filters and Cir Pol (spoiled during the 1st few days).. So all my pics are shot without polarizer.

Yes many people will think i'm insane to lug that Mamiya around.. Initially i thought the weight is alright, until around the 2nd week, i felt i'm stupid. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: Nevertheless, it didn't spoil my backpacking mood ;)

behyx said:
the glacier was closed during the time i went..
ya, just I thought it would during winter. thanks for confirming that... ;)

behyx said:
I actually wanted to take the cruise from Flåm to somewhere then hop on a bus to Bergen. However i booked my flaambana return ticket already, so no choice...

ok, Summer Floyds Cruise was great but short of my expectation being impressive. Thought winter would be spectacular and that you can confirm that for me also ;p

Great series, I like your shooting style, esp when u said its most shot with the 50mm.. Its perfect proof that its person behind the lens that count the most!

jasphotography said:
ya, just I thought it would during winter. thanks for confirming that... ;)
ok, Summer Floyds Cruise was great but short of my expectation being impressive. Thought winter would be spectacular and that you can confirm that for me also ;p

Seriously, i really regretted not hopping on the fjord cruise. When i was at Flåm, it's one of those few days when there is no cloud in the sky, and almost everywhere you point your camera, it'll turn out picture perfect! Moreover, as the fjords are so damn steep and high, you can see 2 seasons, autumn and winter, because the top half is usually coated with snow.. oh my so beautiful.

To me, the flaambana is not really that worth it. But for people who like tech specs, it tops the chart.

Crash n Burn said:
Great series, I like your shooting style, esp when u said its most shot with the 50mm.. Its perfect proof that its person behind the lens that count the most!

Thanks! Actually 50mm is a very useful lens for travel. I also have a habit of taking photos of everything i eat when i'm travelling. So this <S$200 lens took the role of a macro, portrait and street lens. All-in-one. What's even better? this lens is so small and light! :thumbsup:

Just browsed through some of my photos and i have 2 interesting ones to share with everybody..

This is Angler fish, the deep sea fish with the light bulb on top of it's head. (Yes! It can be eaten!) I first tried it in Bergen, Norway with a Russian guy in the YMCA hostel. It's considered a local delicacy and it doesn't comes cheap - around S$20 for a small piece that weighs like 80g! When chewing, it's like chicken and fish mix together, very tender, very much like crab meat. And the taste by itself (no other artificial seasoning except salt and pepper) is like no other fish i've tried.. So special it's a class of it's own. And it's huge, approx 17in wide, quite rare they have such a big catch too! hehe :)

angler.jpg

And this is the seafood soup from Göteborg's fish church. (they call it fish church because it's appearance is like a small cathedral). There're salmon, crayfish, squid, clams, and an 'unknown white fish', in tomato soup. At ~S$11, this has got to be the most generous serving of seafood soup i ever tried, as 3/4 is filled with seafood and only 1/4 is soup. haha!

fishsoup.jpg

Excellent pictures.....:thumbsup:

Beautiful!!! Tks for sharing.

I'm in Amsterdam now..but no inspiration for photography.....:cry:

Petf69 said:
Beautiful!!! Tks for sharing.

I'm in Amsterdam now..but no inspiration for photography.....:cry:

oh my oh my Amsterdam! If you have spare time to spare, restrict yourself by using a 50mm only.. who knows? You may just come out with some awesome photos! :)

Or if really don't feel like picking up the camera, simply just go cafe hopping. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.