Noob Seeking Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackCloud

Sep 1, 2008
Central
Dear Seniors !

I am a noob who just venture into DSLR and got some noob questions that seek the seniors help. Hope you guys dun mind.:bsmilie:

Is the kit lens EF-S 18-55 IS able to take a close shot of an ant?

I tried using the function CloseUp, and shift my lens to be as close to the ant as possible. However, I am still unable to focus and depress the Shutter Button.

Is it something I din do or is it due to the limitation of the lens? :bsmilie:

Thanks !

By the way, I am using a Canon EOS 450D. :bsmilie:

How close is close?

This close:
2480755244_861c0491da.jpg

or this close:
2840186260_f39d5c78b5.jpg

They are both about the same size btw. The first shot was my taken by a friend with his 450D + 18-55IS while the second shot is reverse-macro with my 85mm and 50mm.

To get something similar to the second shot, you'd need a dedicated macro lens that can go to 1:1, meaning the size of the object is the size of the image on the sensor, giving a larger image, making the ant look closer.

Dear Seniors !

I am a noob who just venture into DSLR and got some noob questions that seek the seniors help. Hope you guys dun mind.:bsmilie:

Is the kit lens EF-S 18-55 IS able to take a close shot of an ant?

I tried using the function CloseUp, and shift my lens to be as close to the ant as possible. However, I am still unable to focus and depress the Shutter Button.

Is it something I din do or is it due to the limitation of the lens? :bsmilie:

Thanks !

Do a google search for "MFD", or "minimum focus distance"

Hahahaha !! Thanks Headshotzx ! I was just reading your thread on reverse-marco just now. It is amazing ! Hehehehe... :bsmilie:

First shot seems pretty good enuff for me at the moment.
How did your friend achieve that? I was not not able get a focus on the ants. :dunno:

Do a google search for "MFD", or "minimum focus distance"

Thanks Rashkae. Seems like I need to maintain a minimum distance of 0.28m.
Hmmm.. That is like a ruler's length ! :(

0.28 metres always, set at max 55 mm focal length, and just crop if needed. 0.28 is actually pretty near already, many other lenses have further min focusing distances...

Thanks Rashkae. Seems like I need to maintain a minimum distance of 0.28m.
Hmmm.. That is like a ruler's length ! :(

Minimum focus distance is distance from object to sensor plane.

Minimum working distance is distance from object to front of lens.

Worth noting when you're shopping for a macro lens.

One way to figure out how big an object can be in your image with a certain lens is this:

1. Go to longest focal length

2. Switch to manual focus

3. Turn focus to closest distance (whatever it is - the other end from infinity :) )

4. Move camera forward / backwards until viewfinder shows subject in closest focus.

You won't be able to get a bigger view of subject with that lens.

As you discovered, the close up dial setting does not do much. Most macro photographers never used it. Macro is a huge topic - books have been written about it.

Thanks ! You guys have given me a very valuable insight. :thumbsup:
I will try out again, and hope I can seek your guidance later :bsmilie:

Hehehehe.. Headshotzx, I just noticed that the ant I was "chasing" with my kit lens was much smaller than the red ants from your 1st shot. Hehehehe... Its those small black kitchen ants. Hahhaha.. I will try again and hope to get a better shot. Thanks !

Status
Not open for further replies.