noob question..couldn't find thread abt it..help ya..thx!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireZ

Deregistered
Sep 21, 2008
hi peeps...sorry to ask noob questions..but somehow..i couldn't find e thread regardin wat i wanna ask..so..i gonna create 1 of this..
Q1) how to determine whether my camera is full frame or not?..jus got myself a canon 450D
Q2) so wat's available..as in..other than full frame..still got wat? also..450D is wat frame?..lol
Q3)is this.."Canon EF 28-105 USM f/3.5-4.5" a ok purchase?..coz i actually tot of buying 2nd hand EF-S 18-55 IS...but..some more..can't find a deal..whereas..e len i mentioned is sellin for $130 by cs-er...
my intention of buyin 18-55 IS is because, i wanna shoot portrait (spell wrongly?!)..so..if i got wif e EF28-105...will it effect?...as in..the zoom length between the 18 & 28 mm..will it differ a lot?

hope ur can help ya...n of coz, if any1 dun mind sellin 18-55 IS for $100+/- a bit..do let me know too...
cheers

I don't understand what you're trying to say.

No 450D is not FF. it's has a 1.6x crop factor. The rest i can't help i'm sorry. Really don't get what you mean.

Cheers!

1) Guess the only way is to lift up your mirror to measure the sensor. Below is the relative size comparison of the sensor size.

http://gallery.clubsnap.com/showphoto.php/photo/124403

2) 1.6 crop sensor. All lenses' focal length attached has to be mulitply by 1.6 to get the 35mm equiv focal length.

3) No comments but may not be wide enough for your appilcation.

If you are only interested in potrait, get the 50mm F1.4 instead. Look out in the market place to look for the 18-55 lens.

Cheers

Last edited:
Ok...so..is not a full frame camer for 450D...hm...as u mention..450D is 1.6x crop factor....other than havin 1.6x crop factor...wat else available(eg 1.3x? 0.8x? etc)?..coz i couldn't find info from canon webby..lol..
wish to understand more about the different between full frame n 1.6x crop factor or even more..haha..
cheers

ya....found le...some1 sellin me the 18-55.....
as for..."50mm F1.4"...is it those len which ppl call it as prime?

btw....does "Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III" fit 450D?....coz i tink i jus nid a short range n far range len..2 lens will do ...
but e prob..i dunno how to determine which r e lens tat can fit 450D....
or even 3rd party len...

*btw: thx benetay, KY1977 n jlkk76(pm-ed me) for answering my questions!

cheers!

Er, can see that you are really new to photog here. No worries, just read more about it in reviews webbie and of course CS.

1) Full Frame (FF) cam means the photo sensor is 35mm big, as big as the film should be. 450D is NOT a FF cam, it has a crop factor of 1.6x. This means the photo sensor of a FF is 1.6 times bigger than the sensor of 450D

2) There is NOTHING call what frame, either it's a full frame, or it's not. SIMPLE AS THAT.

3) EF-S 18-55 IS is the kit lens of 450D, so i suppose you got the body only. Bear in mind the 1.6x crop factor of 450D, hence what ever lens you have, the effective focal length is the num on the lens x1.6. Means if you buy a 28-105, effective focal length is 44.8-168, it's not the 28mm as you read. This will be too narrow if you were to take landscapes.

4) seldom there will be people that will use kit lens as a specified portrait lens as the lens with a f/5.6 @ the longest end will not produce nice bokeh (subject in focus, background blur) effect.

5) recommended portrait lens will be EF 50mm f/1.4 and EF 85mm f/1.8, prices varies around 450. however if you are only interested in portraits, a budget option will be EF 50mm f/1.8 (cost around 120).

6) please do not post such funny questions again, many could be answered by self reading either by google or browsing through CS forum. if you are looking to buy something, go the the respective section and post a new WTB thread, NOT HERE.

please do not post such funny questions again, many could be answered by self reading either by google or browsing through CS forum. if you are looking to buy something, go the the respective section and post a new WTB thread, NOT HERE.

:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

btw....does "Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III" fit 450D?....coz i tink i jus nid a short range n far range len..2 lens will do ...
but e prob..i dunno how to determine which r e lens tat can fit 450D....
or even 3rd party len...

*btw: thx benetay, KY1977 n jlkk76(pm-ed me) for answering my questions!

cheers!

for newbie like u hor..

best to go with 18-55 plus 55-250 plus 50 mm f1.8. total shld be ard $600 bah.

okok..noted...
did try to search online..but e end research..very confusing..tat's y i ended up askin here..
anyway...most questioned answered le..
thx to all
cheers

okok..noted...
did try to search online..but e end research..very confusing..tat's y i ended up askin here..
anyway...most questioned answered le..
thx to all
cheers

if u want, u can join us for shooting dis sat..

we can show u...

to the Thread Starter(TS): you might want to bring this questions up at the newbiews corner. there are some kind souls there who would love to help you.

gosh...can't...got band practise...
hopefully some other day..
thx for e invitation..
anyway..gonna slp..
niteZ peeps!

hi peeps...sorry to ask noob questions..but somehow..i couldn't find e thread regardin wat i wanna ask..so..i gonna create 1 of this..
Q1) how to determine whether my camera is full frame or not?..jus got myself a canon 450D
Q2) so wat's available..as in..other than full frame..still got wat? also..450D is wat frame?..lol
Q3)is this.."Canon EF 28-105 USM f/3.5-4.5" a ok purchase?..coz i actually tot of buying 2nd hand EF-S 18-55 IS...but..some more..can't find a deal..whereas..e len i mentioned is sellin for $130 by cs-er...
my intention of buyin 18-55 IS is because, i wanna shoot portrait (spell wrongly?!)..so..if i got wif e EF28-105...will it effect?...as in..the zoom length between the 18 & 28 mm..will it differ a lot?

hope ur can help ya...n of coz, if any1 dun mind sellin 18-55 IS for $100+/- a bit..do let me know too...
cheers

1) Full-frame - 5D, 5D MK II, 1Ds, 1Ds MK II and 1Ds MK III. APS-H (1.3x FOV) - 1D, 1D MK II and 1D MK III. APS-C (1.6x FOV) - D30, D60, 10D, 20D, 30D, 40D, 50D, 300D 350D, 400D and 450D.

2) As above.

3) The 28-105 is a basic lens and image quality not that impressive. If want to do portraits, get a prime lens such as 50mm, 85mm and 135mm for example. Zoom wise will be any 70-200 series or 24-70 f/2.8 or 24-105 f/4. For wide angles, a difference of even 5mm is quite significant but in telephoto end, not significant.

once again..thx thx for responding..
jus got myself the 18-55mm IS len...perhaps i'll jus stick wif it for learning first...after all..i only started off from prosumer..not DSLR...
thx peeps...

Enjoy yr 18-55 IS... If u need a longer reach, maybe u can consider EF S55-250 f/4-5.6IS...

Take note that for prime lens (example 50mm ,85mm), you cant zoom nearer or further, thus u need to move with yr legs... Since you just start up, i dont recommend you getting a prime lens unless u really know what kind of effects you wan in the photo.. If you really wish to try out, u can consider 50mm 1.8...

Status
Not open for further replies.