Noise even at ISO 800 for FF

Joshelerry

Apr 5, 2013
Singapore
Hi, I am using a 5D3 and recently got to shoot some evening shots. Setting at ISO 800, when I go back usnig LR to edit the raw, I can still see noticeable noise.

I understand that one way to tackle to expose for the brighter side because the dark side when using software to expose brighter will reveal noise. But other than this technique .. I am not quite sure on how to get a good quality photo at conditions of ISO 800 - 1600 at night shots.

Anyone experience or who have come across this please advise. Thanks!!

Sounds like your images were likely significantly underexposed?

If you are able to post any out-of-camera examples, that'll help people to advise you accordingly.

But other than this technique ..

That is the only technique I'm aware of. An underexposed image can end up with as much (or even more) noise as shooting at higher ISOs if you push them too hard in post.

As far as I know, shooting at high ISO will result in noise. The only question is your tolerance to noise. I have no issues with the noise at ISO 800 or 1600 (heck, even 500D's ISO1600 is acceptable to me). You may want to upload a sample picture of how noisy it is.

The "best" quality for such ISO for a sensor is to ETTR as you have already stated.

As far as I know, shooting at high ISO will result in noise. The only question is your tolerance to noise. I have no issues with the noise at ISO 800 or 1600 (heck, even 500D's ISO1600 is acceptable to me). You may want to upload a sample picture of how noisy it is.

The "best" quality for such ISO for a sensor is to ETTR as you have already stated.

Here is the sample ... notice the noise even at ISO 800 on a FF. Yes, there are some slight underexposure (- 2/3 stop) in order to retain details...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/joeltanyh/13619354334/

Canon sensors are not known to be good in shadow performance. When you start to push your underexposed photos, you will see noise in the shadow areas.

I always lean towards exposing to the right(side of the histogram), by blowing a bit of highlight(which can be pulled back to a certain extent when in post if you shoot raw) and lift the shadow areas.

In this way the file will not be stressed out too much and keeping the noise to a tolerable level. With the 5d3, I have no qualms shooting at ISO 12800 for web viewing. I guess it also depends on your noise threshold.

Hi, I am using a 5D3 and recently got to shoot some evening shots. Setting at ISO 800, when I go back usnig LR to edit the raw, I can still see noticeable noise.

I understand that one way to tackle to expose for the brighter side because the dark side when using software to expose brighter will reveal noise. But other than this technique .. I am not quite sure on how to get a good quality photo at conditions of ISO 800 - 1600 at night shots.

Anyone experience or who have come across this please advise. Thanks!!

is the noise presence when u tried to brighten the shadow area or viewing at 100% cropped in original image?

Here is the sample ... notice the noise even at ISO 800 on a FF. Yes, there are some slight underexposure (- 2/3 stop) in order to retain details...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/joeltanyh/13619354334/

I would suppose that this is a 100% crop, the noise level looks about right (compared it against another of my ISO800 shot). And as noted by tecnica, Canon sensors aren't really that good in recovering shadow details (esp so when underexposed severely).

If image quality is of absolute importance, you may really want to consider using a lower ISO and coupled with some blending techniques.

Get a good NR program. Easily solved and I doubt you will lose much detail as a result.

Lower noise doesn't mean no noise, same as low crime doesn't mean no crime. If you are going to pixel peep, there will always be noise, even at base ISO, at the shadow areas. Don't take my word for it, just scan the whole image at 100%. :)

That is nothing la. If you are shooting landscapes it does not matter much. Once you start shooting small wildlife with the need to crop, you will know that even with a 1DX you will only shoot at max ISO 2000.

I had just seen the photo and it looks like 100% cropped and probably with shadow being brighten?
I would say it is normal for such standard.
FF has better noise control but the noise presence is still there even at ISO 400 or ISO 100.
I agree with DD technically,on a 1Dx for night landscapes,I had shot it at 12,800 and it looks very clean without crop but for shooting birds,I try not to go beyond ISO 800.

Last edited: