No0bie question and thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
Planet Nikon
I have a CP5700 and since it's 8x zoom my mentality when coming to take macro shots is to

1) Zoom out to max 8x
2) Attach a Hoya +4 macro filter

The problem is that the subject is always blur, I have to zoom out to get a clear pic... then move near to get a shot... I scared away a few dragonflies last sat at BG... wonder if that's the way to use macro filters.

Attached them then move near, not attached and zoom ?

Another problem I have is with the aperture values.

The larger the aperture the more light? Or smaller the aperture the more light?

Smaller aperture blur-er background, larger aperture clear-er background.

Anybody can explain?

Normally on bright days I set my aperture to abt 2.9-4.1f.

Originally posted by espn
I have a CP5700 and since it's 8x zoom my mentality when coming to take macro shots is to

1) Zoom out to max 8x
2) Attach a Hoya +4 macro filter

The problem is that the subject is always blur, I have to zoom out to get a clear pic... then move near to get a shot... I scared away a few dragonflies last sat at BG... wonder if that's the way to use macro filters.

Anybody can explain?

Normally on bright days I set my aperture to abt 2.9-4.1f.

cool... aperture means hole, so extrapolate the larger/smaller ;)
larger hole means more light means come from more directions means blurrer.

when using big zoom, and closeup the DOF will be very short, so reduce the aperture lor...

I presume DOF = Distance of Focus?

Okie, will roger that, but sometimes I'm unable to change the aperture, funny, when it's at 1/60, the aperture rests at 4.1f. which is funny and sometimes I can get 2.9f.

Maybe I should read the manual more ? :)

Okie, will roger that, but sometimes I'm unable to change the aperture, funny, when it's at 1/60, the aperture rests at 4.1f. which is funny and sometimes I can get 2.9f.

Sound like Shutter Prority to mi....

DOF = Depth of Field

http://www.clubsnap.org/display.php?file=articles/glossary/index.htm#D

I was using M priority for all my shots.

yo BS can we like have a beginner's FAQ to stickies and then everytime someone register the link is included in the welcome mail?

Kewl... but there are too many questions for a newbie like me that needs to be answered... I'm really new until cannot new that kind of new... :)

How far away is your camera lens to the dragonfly ? Post a shot with settings to let us see. Using a closeup filter , the focusing distance is always fixed .. ( different camera got different focusing distance ). Try to position your camera ( set to 8x zoom , macro mode off ) with closeup filter for a distance from 20cm - 25cm to focus ...

????? What are "them" ???

smaller aperture value e.g. f2.8 is BIGGER HOLE .. of course allow more light ( more blur background )

bigger aperture value e.g. f8 is SMALLER HOLE .. allow lesser light ( less blur background )

Originally posted by megaweb

How far away is your camera lens to the dragonfly ? Post a shot with settings to let us see. Using a closeup filter , the focusing distance is always fixed .. ( different camera got different focusing distance ). Try to position your camera ( set to 8x zoom , macro mode off ) with closeup filter for a distance from 20cm - 25cm to focus ...

http://www.pbase.com/image/10222673
http://www.pbase.com/image/10222676
http://www.pbase.com/image/10224577

????? What are "them" ???

The filters :)

smaller aperture value e.g. f2.8 is BIGGER HOLE .. of course allow more light ( more blur background )

bigger aperture value e.g. f8 is SMALLER HOLE .. allow lesser light ( less blur background )

Okie, I get the aperture thingie now, thanks for explaining.

Ok, will try again soon. I can't stand the colours and the details... I take a look at other's pic, I find them so much sharper and vibrant, really need to improve man :)

Status
Not open for further replies.