No matter how I clean the filter, there is always stains

Status
Not open for further replies.
What alcohol you used? Try misting up the filter with your breath and try again...
this method works best for me on hoya filters actually :p

have to wipe real fast and at high speed in circular motion with kim wipes

this method works best for me on hoya filters actually :p

have to wipe real fast and at high speed in circular motion with kim wipes

Yup.. works best for me too.. Except there was once, I used so much of my mist until I got a bit dizzy.. ;p

Fart, I think I scratch the filter liao. Basket its hoya but its still $30 for 62mm. I can't believe I spend 5 hours on it.

That's it. I am buying a lenspen, plus microfibre cloth, and sadly, a new filter.

Is B+W really better than Hoya? I though the Hoya coating is one of the best?

doesn't matter what brand as long as u use it with care and also a filter doesn't need to be sparkling clean, as long as its reasonable clean, it sld nt affect the image.

Fart, I think I scratch the filter liao. Basket its hoya but its still $30 for 62mm. I can't believe I spend 5 hours on it.

That's it. I am buying a lenspen, plus microfibre cloth, and sadly, a new filter.

Is B+W really better than Hoya? I though the Hoya coating is one of the best?

Yes, B+W is better than hoya IMO. However if ur lens is not very expensive, there is no point spending on a filter which will cost maybe 1/3 of the price of the lens or even more. Hoya is fine if u clean it gently. (we both learn now :p)

I use scotch brite lens cleaning cloth so if u r interested, u can get it at any home-fix store. :)

Yes, B+W is better than hoya IMO. However if ur lens is not very expensive, there is no point spending on a filter which will cost maybe 1/3 of the price of the lens or even more. Hoya is fine if u clean it gently. (we both learn now :p)

I use scotch brite lens cleaning cloth so if u r interested, u can get it at any home-fix store. :)

My lens is a Sigma 30mm f1.4 I not sure if worth spending much on filter.

Scrotch brite lens cleaning cloth is microfibre?

If I want to buy more lens paper, is there a particular brand to get?

As for cleaning solution, pure alcohol from pharmacy best right?

IMO, lenspen is enough..
I trust it to clean my rear element when it gets smudges =D

i also encounter such a thing with my protection filter. however the lenspen i bought on clubsnap really works wonder.. or rather i think after cleaning with such strong solution most prob the coating is gone already, and this is affect your photos in a one way or another.

i suggest you start all over again and buy a better brand of filter. b+w, good quality...

The time you spend is already worth investing on a good filter......hahaha.......

Got to admire you bro!! You got patience!:bigeyes:!! 5 hrs on cleaning a filter!!! You damn free man!! :bsmilie:

Hoya not that hard to clean la... all my filters are either hoyas of kenko (only have 1 kenko).... each take me 5 mins at most. Main thing is to get the right tools to clean it with...

i usually use my shirt to clean the lens/filter from finger prints.
works wonders.

See #15
Are you using rubbing alcohol? Some brands of rubbing alcohol include small amounts of vaseline in them. ie oil.....
Do you wear specs? You can use the cloth you use to clean your specs to clean your filter. If you don't, go to a specs shop and buy one. Ask for microfibre cloth.
I use 100% alcohol to clean. I got it from a lab. If you don't have access to 100% alcohol, then vodka works well also.

Use a proper lens cleaning cloth/tissue which doesn't scratch.... and use proper lens cleaning solution.......... :sweat:

I use this....http://www.edmundoptics.com/onlinecatalog/displayproduct.cfm?productID=2520
and this...http://www.edmundoptics.com/onlinecatalog/displayproduct.cfm?productID=1954

Last edited:
Funny thing is that after I switch to B&W, I never need to clean my filters. Just blow with a blower and the dust is gone.

Lenspen works all the time for me, so far (that's coming to two years of using lenspen).

Can it be bought locally? If can, could you please let me know where can I get it? Thanks.

Sorry.. try this link first then click the product link again. It's supposed to give you the price in SGD and there is a contact number at the top right. The top left box should say Edmund Optics Singapore.

http://www.edmundoptics.com/sg/

Contacts are all there.

i juz tried something today...the reason y yu have smudges as yu clean ur lens is because you have sweaty palms(at least for me), the cloth absorbs the sweat from your fingers and then yu clean ur "sweat" over the lens surface...so my advice?

Wear a glove (disposable or rubber), and use your cloth to wipe :) you won't have any smudges on your lens or filter anymore*

*results may vary :p

OT a bit since talking about lenspen. What did you use the lenspen brush for?

OT a bit since talking about lenspen. What did you use the lenspen brush for?

To brush away obvious dust/dirt that will otherwise scratch the optical surface should you use the regular tip for cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.