no internet connection ? Absurd

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreaming

Oct 22, 2006
when you shop for a laptop at funan IT mall. Very often that the sales will tell you no wifi no internet connection. Since i getting a laptop primarily for surfing, i would need to ensure the wifi, loading capability is satisfatory. What are they trying to hide?
Ps. I could easily connect to wireless@sg using my own laptop. why can't they?

when you shop for a laptop at funan IT mall. Very often that the sales will tell you no wifi no internet connection. Since i getting a laptop primarily for surfing, i would need to ensure the wifi, loading capability is satisfatory. What are they trying to hide?
Ps. I could easily connect to wireless@sg using my own laptop. why can't they?
Maybe they never sign up for a wireless@sg a/c? :dunno:

Although wireless@sg is available in funan, it is really very slow. Not sure if situation has improved in recent times. That was my experience with wireless@sg.

From what I know, some shops over at funan are on corperate broadband plan which are quite slow compared to what we have at home. Slow, as in 1/2 a dozen computers sharing on a 1mbps line. If they let you try their slow slow internet connection, do you honestly think you will still buy the computer?

In any case, most, if not all modern laptops should not be that different in wifi capability and webpage loading speed, isn't it? Even netbooks should be fine too.

have tried surfing at Funan IT mall. the webpage downloading is fast compared to my home broaddband. they could just pay a monthly subscription and beam thru the hall or shop to let us try out. FYI, my netbook surfing experience is not good.

pretty much the same? that is we assume, at the end of the day, if it is not the same, we are at the losing end. so better to verify it than assume lor.

There will not be any significant difference in web browsing time between different computers.

It's always the browser add-ons and junk accumulated over time that slows things down.

how about booting in safe mode with networking to ensure that it's not those programs slowing down your web browsing?

have tried surfing at Funan IT mall. the webpage downloading is fast compared to my home broaddband. they could just pay a monthly subscription and beam thru the hall or shop to let us try out. FYI, my netbook surfing experience is not good.

pretty much the same? that is we assume, at the end of the day, if it is not the same, we are at the losing end. so better to verify it than assume lor.

You got broadband speed for wireless@sg in funan? I only got like old 56k speed when I tried...in fact my download was more like 3.5kb/s. Mind sharing which spot I have to go to?

BTW, what netbook are you having problem with? I used two atom netbooks for 3 months+ and both don't seem to be any slower than my notebook or pc for websurfing. Only had problem with the netbook lagging when I had too many crap opened. The AMD single core one that I used for a week+ was quite slow though, in fact very slow. I have used 6 different brands of notebooks that my company loaned me/personal notebook, all were similar for my daily forum surfing and file downloading. End of the day, the limiting factor is still my router(for network file transfer) and broadband speed.

i think wireless@sg bandwidth has been upgraded up to 1 Mbps. :)

But still have to depend the no. of users at the moment of time.

don't think there is much to hide. what you need is to know which of the wifi you need , 802.11a/b/g/n etc

True that the shop could have used it's own wifi to allow the test. i wonder however if there is a clause in the contract preventing this from happening, as if they are seen as using this for 'sub-rent' purpose. besides, like the others said, the perceived performance depends so much on the network performance and the environment, it would mislead the customer thinking the notebook wifi is crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.