[nitewalk] Central Europe 2014

nitewalk

May 31, 2010
Singapore
I went on a packaged tour in Central Europe touring six countries (Germany, Austria, Hungary, Slovakia, Poland and Czech Republic) for 13 days. As you would expect, it was a rush-rush affair and most of the time, so the shooting has to be fast. Ironically, I mostly did long exposures aside from the usual touristy snaps. Some buildings weren't photographed due to rush or I was simply lazy. I think I may have enough shots for a thread so here goes, and I've kind of invented a new genre of grab'n'go long exposures. Haha. Most of the time, it was just a matter of ready-set-go and I will run off to the spot I have thought of then park and shoot. Christmas season, most of the spots are tourist attractions anyway so there were many people walking around hence making long exposures more necessary and besides, the skies were meh all the way with some wind to make the cloud not appear static.

Budapest, Hungary.

16095424465_30b6322b2a_b.jpg

Kutna Hora, Czech Republic.

16175873599_736d7704b6_b.jpg

Documenting my visit to Auschwitz, which was part of the trip to Central Europe (separately documented with long exposure shots). Personally, this was a highlight of the trip (as much as it shouldn't be knowing the horrible history of these concentration camps) as I had read about it when I studied History. My intention was to bring this history to many who may never visit these concentration camps but have had heard or read about it.

I jumped at the opportunity to go on this trip as I wanted to see how it is like inside these camps. I have to admit the place is very museum, very tourist-friendly, so possibly losing the authencity of the original. Pity, I must have lost some shots somehow, I have a shot of the hair left behind by some of the prisoners as well as a few other shots. This album will be a collection of what I have left.

Yesterday, 27th January is Holocaust Remembrance Day. This is dedicated to those innocent who had lost their lives as a result of their faith. This serves as a reminder to us who remain in this world that hatred brings more sufferings and discrimination based on race, religion or any other artificial classification of humans must be stopped. Here's to a better and peaceful world, free from hate and discrimination.

Shot of the glasses left behind by the innocent prisoners. Will follow up with more posts of other belongings and scenes.

16200801750_8125540977_b.jpg

Hall full of shoes

16201966939_42d3a7daf7_b.jpg

Bags

16388175345_46a832a29d_b.jpg

Bunks

16388157415_746b0dc063_b.jpg