Nissin i40 flash

i always have the impression to avoid flash photography cause the subject will look flat and flushed out.. in fact i have never once used my in body flash on my E-P5

can someone please share what are the end results of taking pics with one of these professional flash units? really curious and interested to know..

For one when doing studio or group portraits. :)

A senior once told me jokingly : if someone says he only shoots in natural light it's because he doesn't know how to use lighting. Humbling moment , ouch but I learnt.

Last edited:

A senior once told me jokingly : if someone says he only shoots in natural light it's because he doesn't know how to use lighting. Humbling moment , ouch but I learnt.
Well what he said is true.

Hence why there's a reason for flash units. Key is whether is one clear in how to use it.

It's true, but the one I read somewhere is different. "People who said I prefer to shoot in natural light only have no idea how to use flash". I was guilty of that until I decided to learn, and now I prefer flash so much more than kicking my ISO into overdrive, but sadly... Sometimes cannot use flash at all lol

i always have the impression to avoid flash photography cause the subject will look flat and flushed out.. in fact i have never once used my in body flash on my E-P5

can someone please share what are the end results of taking pics with one of these professional flash units? really curious and interested to know..

Just a simple two flash snapshot:

10484781_10152882975593556_1118727277035444410_n.jpg

those professional flash with umbrella etc etc at studio no need to say lah, sure look good.

I'm talking about those single powerful flash you hook up to your hot shoe. will they still appear as nice when used indoors with pooor lighting?

those professional flash with umbrella etc etc at studio no need to say lah, sure look good.

I'm talking about those single powerful flash you hook up to your hot shoe. will they still appear as nice when used indoors with pooor lighting?
U can still get very good results, it just whether u know how much flash to use to balance the light of ur subject and the ambient light.

These are some shots taken with hotshoe camera flashes using Nikon D3

12206953824_50d885a29f_b.jpg

12207167916_8f87080f74_b.jpg

This one is shoe with FL36R and E-P5
15034201824_7d78c5336d_b.jpg

When you are doing on location event photography, often the photographer need to deal with poor or sometime overpower ambient lighting. And learning how to deal with with what they have on hand.it is often part of the trade.

Below are some simple shots taken indoor, with flash on hot shoe to balance the light of my subject and the ambient lights:

Hotshoe camera flash on a 5DMII
291938_10151161042828556_1334328642_n.jpg

Hotshoe camera flash on a 5DMII
35733_405844943555_5388989_n.jpg

Hotshoe camera flash on a OMD EM-5
1977318_10152893506898556_5972301542155648209_n.jpg

Last edited:
1012972_10152843894291138_4817463128172321436_n.jpg

Installed scotch tape on top of the markings to prevent them from being rubbed off

FYI, a lot of people use those 'single powerful flash you hook up to your hot shoe' (aka speedlights) with umbrellas too, as well as use them off camera (NOT mounted to the hotshoe), to create a studio anywhere :)

strobist.jpg

flash-flashes-strobist-paraguas-Favim.com-475418.jpg

beach-wedding-strobist-2-strobe-setup-don-cesar.jpg

(images found via google, not mine)

When used mounted on the camera (as most do for indoor events), you have fewer creative options, but there's still the option of bouncing the light off the ceiling or a wall for diffused light – which you usually can't do with the built-in flash. Whether the results 'appear nice' depends on how you use it.

See: http://strobist.blogspot.sg/2006/03/lighting-101-bouncing-off-of-walls-and.html

If you mount the flash and just whack direct, it will look quite similar to the built-in flash.

Here's a simple comparison I found:

Direct on-camera flash will give us harsh shadows and unflattering results. We need soft, flattering light. By turning the flash’s head around and bouncing the flash off the wall and ceiling behind you, you just created a much larger light source. This will give you softer, more diffuse light that looks so much better.

Here is the comparison between hard direct on-camera flash, and the bounce flash with softer light:

D24G1715-sq-2x500px.jpg

Source: Neil van Niekerk / http://neilvn.com/tangents/new-to-flash-photography-where-to-even-start/

------

If you're free this Saturday, consider attending this talk by Matthew Wong (CS mod spidey89) on the subject of on/off camera flash.

<Basic on & off camera flash> Tips and Techniques by Matthew Wong, Sat 29th Nov 1-3pm

Topics:
On-camera flash
One light off -camera flash
Multiple wireless flash

During his time in NS, Matthew was the main photographer covering most events at the Ministry of Home Affairs. His photos have been published in Home Team NS magazine, minister's Facebook page and was specifically requested to cover certain big events.

Time: 29th November, Saturday, 2014, 1-3pm (2 Hour).

Register here:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1471627

Last edited:
wah lao eh jin fugly la hahaha

Less fugly than yours when the text rubs off halfway lol! Anyway in real use the scotch tape isn't that visible

10501819_10152844009326138_4318805273662917359_n.jpg

More importantly, the functionality (of a slightly flawed product) is preserved. How else to see the settings if the text is gone?

Not sure if this is a problem isolated to the early batch or if its still an issue. Where did you get the photo you previously posted?

Last edited:
Less fugly than yours when the text rubs off halfway lol! Anyway in real use the scotch tape isn't that visible

More importantly, the functionality (of a slightly flawed product) is preserved. How else to see the settings if the text is gone?

Not sure if this is a problem isolated to the early batch or if its still an issue. Where did you get the photo you previously posted?

ok i agree lol :D but did u consider using nail polish?

Last edited:
mine (one good look before text rubs off) lol

2014_11_27_17_52.jpg

ok i agree lol :D but did u consider using nail polish?

Ya I did, but not sure if the nail polish will dissolve the fragile ink.. And if the nail polish needs to be removed, the nail polish remover confirm strip out the ink too.

At least the scotch tape is easily removable/replaceable. I guess if you are really anal you can measure the diameter of the circle and cut exactly out of those fat packing tape, should look neater than my ghetto DIY fix.

ok if mine gets rubbed off, I will go rma and see how it goes.