Nintendo DS: Should I or Shouldnt I?

Status
Not open for further replies.
DS Owner

BBTM (Game : Golf, Mario Kart, EBA, Yoshi Island, Super Mario)
Andy Ang (Nintendog - Dalmations, TS Golf, PrinceOPersia, Brain Age, Monkey Ball, Cooking Mama, Yggdra Union [GBA], 3 more coming in]
aaron80 (Castlemania: DOS, Castlemania:pOR, looking to get New Super Mario Bros once stock arrived)

DS is a real addictive hobby man..;)

Wooo.. i dunno this tread still going on.
I got my DS finally :D:D And its a gift from my GF :D:D:D
So when can we have DS session?

are there different version ds avaliable? been reading about "local version" meaning?:dunno:

are there different version ds avaliable? been reading about "local version" meaning?:dunno:

In terms of hardware, there are currently two versions of DS... the older DS (some call them DS Phat) and the newer DS Lite.

In terms of versions, it refer to who distributed the hardware. The so called "local version" refer to DS made for Asian and Australian region (excluding Japan and China), and are distributed by the local distributor, Maxsoft. They come with 3 months warranty. Back in the middle of 2006, lots of gamers complained that the local distributor forced people into buying DS Lite bundled with certain titles at "special price". Incidentally, these games were games that were basically stockpiling in the warehouses. The local distributor also played a number of stunts on the local community... like releasing only the light blue version of DS Phat, instead of the standard 4 colours JP versions.

The local community has spoken out against Maxsoft though. Refer to this petition stating the grievances of the community. http://www.petitiononline.com/WiiSg/petition.html

Apart from local version, JP version of DS are widely available in Singapore. Mine is a JP version of DS Phat, bought when the 4 colours (Graphite Black, Pink, Light Blue and White) were announced. It was considerably more visible pleasant than the original DS which only comes in Silver.

For DS Lite, the JP versions so far has Pink, White and Black (grey).

There's European versions of DS Lite as well, with White and Black (real black apparently).

The US version so far is only White.

Is there any differences in getting whichever version? As far as I know, apart from the 3 months warranty (which is inconsequential anyway!), nothing at all! Games are not region specific and whichever version would come in built with different languages anyway. The packaging may be different as well, for instance, mine come with a japanese manual. The pricing may be a bit different too, for instance the EU version of DS is slightly more expensive.

Frankly, I won't support the local DS version at all... Local Wii on the other hand is a separate matter. Still pissed of the non-commitment of Maxsoft on Wii though. When is it coming?

In terms of hardware, there are currently two versions of DS... the older DS (some call them DS Phat) and the newer DS Lite.

In terms of versions, it refer to who distributed the hardware. The so called "local version" refer to DS made for Asian and Australian region (excluding Japan and China), and are distributed by the local distributor, Maxsoft. They come with 3 months warranty. Back in the middle of 2006, lots of gamers complained that the local distributor forced people into buying DS Lite bundled with certain titles at "special price". Incidentally, these games were games that were basically stockpiling in the warehouses. The local distributor also played a number of stunts on the local community... like releasing only the light blue version of DS Phat, instead of the standard 4 colours JP versions.

The local community has spoken out against Maxsoft though. Refer to this petition stating the grievances of the community. http://www.petitiononline.com/WiiSg/petition.html

Apart from local version, JP version of DS are widely available in Singapore. Mine is a JP version of DS Phat, bought when the 4 colours (Graphite Black, Pink, Light Blue and White) were announced. It was considerably more visible pleasant than the original DS which only comes in Silver.

For DS Lite, the JP versions so far has Pink, White and Black (grey).

There's European versions of DS Lite as well, with White and Black (real black apparently).

The US version so far is only White.

Is there any differences in getting whichever version? As far as I know, apart from the 3 months warranty (which is inconsequential anyway!), nothing at all! Games are not region specific and whichever version would come in built with different languages anyway. The packaging may be different as well, for instance, mine come with a japanese manual. The pricing may be a bit different too, for instance the EU version of DS is slightly more expensive.

Frankly, I won't support the local DS version at all... Local Wii on the other hand is a separate matter. Still pissed of the non-commitment of Maxsoft on Wii though. When is it coming?

i see. for the non-local version, how long was the warranty?

i see. for the non-local version, how long was the warranty?

zero :bsmilie:

Don't be too concerned though, cos if you find a reputable retailer, you can immediately check to see if there's any dead pixel on the screen. Most of the reputable retailer will change the DS one for one regardless of version of DS. They don't earn much from hardware sales anyway! :D

hah, i also looking for a 2nd hand copy. BTW anyone knows where and how much for a DS charger? Mine seems to stop functioning...:(

Please check that the set is Covered by Nintendo Asia.

btw, how do we know if the set is covered by nintendo asia?
I just went to check out the prices at a "large mega mall in the east", was stated $299 with 1 game + 3yrs extended warranty. worth it?

That's a very good catch. For the 3 yrs extended. However, if HN extended warranty then is good. But if Best, then read the fine prints.

DS Owner

BBTM (Game : Golf, Mario Kart, EBA, Yoshi Island, Super Mario)
Andy Ang (Nintendog - Dalmations, TS Golf, PrinceOPersia, Brain Age, Monkey Ball, Cooking Mama, Yggdra Union [GBA], 3 more coming in]
aaron80 (Castlemania: DOS, Castlemania:pOR, looking to get New Super Mario Bros once stock arrived)
Swatch-(Mario Kart,Phoenix Wright:AA,Animal Crossing,Brain Age,Shogun Warriors(sux),Harvest Moon,Castlevania:pOR)

I just went to check out the prices at a "large mega mall in the east", was stated $299 with 1 game + 3yrs extended warranty. worth it?

Can share which store is it? :)

I really don't see the point of getting extended warranty for the DS Lite. Warranty usually covers only manufacturing fault and not user mishandling. So far, the only genuine manufacture problem that Nintendo USA faced for DS Lite was cracked hinge of DS Lite, which they repaired for a nominal fee. Nothing of such happened for the Asia set, and most people who do face such problem live with them anyway.

The real problem with DS is the ability to run games and the presence of dead pixel, both of which should be tested thoroughly at a reputable gamestore before purchase. Some stores are even willing to exchange any fault you discover one-for-one for a certain period of time. Note, exchanging one-for-one is out of the good-will of the store, and is not part of the warranty.

While there's no confirmation yet, there are some rumours swirling about on new version of DS. So, if your product is spoilt when the newer product come out, would the store still honour the warranty?

Anyway to me, the chances of DS being spoilt or lost under my own negligence is more likely than discovering manufacturing problems months or years after the purchase. The DS, like any compact digicam, is probably not worth the effort to repair it, if it does get faulty. So, just save the $30 and get a good LCD-protector plus a cup of kopi lah! Scratches are definitely not covered under warranty! :D

But if you really think warranty is really that important, then by all means. $299 for DS + 1 game + 3 yr warranty sounds good... But after getting the accessories, you will be spending to about $350 though.

I really don't see the point of getting extended warranty for the DS Lite. Warranty usually covers only manufacturing fault and not user mishandling. So far, the only genuine manufacture problem that Nintendo USA faced for DS Lite was cracked hinge of DS Lite, which they repaired for a nominal fee. Nothing of such happened for the Asia set, and most people who do face such problem live with them anyway.

The real problem with DS is the ability to run games and the presence of dead pixel, both of which should be tested thoroughly at a reputable gamestore before purchase. Some stores are even willing to exchange any fault you discover one-for-one for a certain period of time. Note, exchanging one-for-one is out of the good-will of the store, and is not part of the warranty.

While there's no confirmation yet, there are some rumours swirling about on new version of DS. So, if your product is spoilt when the newer product come out, would the store still honour the warranty?

Anyway to me, the chances of DS being spoilt or lost under my own negligence is more likely than discovering manufacturing problems months or years after the purchase. The DS, like any compact digicam, is probably not worth the effort to repair it, if it does get faulty. So, just save the $30 and get a good LCD-protector plus a cup of kopi lah! Scratches are definitely not covered under warranty! :D

But if you really think warranty is really that important, then by all means. $299 for DS + 1 game + 3 yr warranty sounds good... But after getting the accessories, you will be spending to about $350 though.

true also, 3 yrs can be such a long time. And I didnt get to ask into details for the extended warranty, maybe it could be limited coverage.

Has anyone tried using DS to surf net at any of the wireless@sg hotspots?

Ya I was thinking about this question too.. But I know u will need an internet browser too and the current one available is a Japanese one.. Does that means we can only surf net in Japanese and not English?

Has anyone tried using DS to surf net at any of the wireless@sg hotspots?

Ya I was thinking about this question too.. But I know u will need an internet browser too and the current one available is a Japanese one.. Does that means we can only surf net in Japanese and not English?

I think it can be done already. Someone posted a pic of the google site using ds.

Status
Not open for further replies.