[Nikonzen] - APAW 2015 Challenge Myself

Nikonzen

Nov 3, 2014
Oklahoma, USA
Ok for my new thread here I shall try to challenge myself by shooting outside my box. For week 1 a sunrise shot inspired by the many beautiful gorgeous sunrise/sunset shots I see here on CS. I hardly ever get out of bed for sunrise so this is totally foreign to me...LOL

Here is my first...Nikon D5000 with Series E 50mm lens...need advice here as you can see bros...:embrass:

There's an advice section in CS. Here, you just journal your photographic journey. Good bright start!

Thank you for the information and kind comment Senior. :)

Hello Nikonzen, subscribed and waiting to see different views from what we see daily !

Hi Nikonzen, I seconded wonglp. Nice to have a different view from nature point of view. I like it too. :)

Thank you so much gentlemen. I will try my best. :)

Gee I wish I would have done APWP now. :embrass: Maybe I can catch up??

Here is #2. Camera Phone

While I have shot my fair share of camera phone shots I never really think about them when I make them. I have seen many of the bros here in CS using their phones to make great pictures so this is how I challenged my self for this segment.

Went on a family outing today for lunch and a trip to the mall. I came up with this idea while eating and immediately absconded with my son's iphone5 which is better than my phone.

Another thing I think I have been sorting of picking up on from looking at all the great photography here is the use of leading lines and lines in general and perspective.

So with out further adieu here is the snap (actually two). This is the last old school film camera repair type shop that I know of left in my city. Amazing stuff. When the old man retires it is gone. And he is old.

I have made a short thread with some snaps from this trip... http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1496948

Last edited:
Gee I wish I would have done APWP now. :embrass: Maybe I can catch up??

Here is #2. Camera Phone

While I have shot my fair share of camera phone shots I never really think about them when I make them. I have seen many of the bros here in CS using their phones to make great pictures so this is how I challenged my self for this segment.

Went on a family outing today for lunch and a trip to the mall. I came up with this idea while eating and immediately absconded with my son's iphone5 which is better than my phone.

Another thing I think I have been sorting of picking up on from looking at all the great photography here is the use of leading lines and lines in general and perspective.

So with out further adieu here is the snap (actually two). This is the last old school film camera repair type shop that I know of left in my city. Amazing stuff. When the old man retires it is gone. And he is old.

I have made a short thread with some snaps from this trip... http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1496948

That is sad...
Yeah, when I say picts of the store, its so different from the ones here.
A lot more breathing space. :D

Thank you gentlemen. :)

For 3. I have decided to use a wide angle (which I do not do very often) and shoot some old houses. The objective is to see if I can use Lightzone HDR to enhance my snaps without overcooking them. I am consciously trying to get away from crazy colors and un natural looking stuff like this. I like the look I just want to get to somewhere more vintage raw analog looking.

So first shot is straight out of camera 2nd shot would be the HDR sample. I am going to provide three examples...all shots D5K with 28/3.5 non Ai. Used Lally Cap for WB.

Last edited:
Friends the challenge has changed much as challenges tend to do. So for 4. we shall contemplate the challenges ahead and the challenges at hand...a new camera and a new lens (D7K 35-70/2.8)...very challenging!

Last edited:
Friends the challenge has changed much as challenges tend to do. So for 4. we shall contemplate the challenges ahead and the challenges at hand...a new camera and a new lens (D7K 35-70/2.8)...very challenging!

Congrats on the new camera :)

Wow...
Secret Wars lunchbox....

They should make a movie.
But the plot would probably be hard to follow for non comics readers.

Thanks for your kindness senior.

A little bonus image made with new camera and lens.

Last edited:
5. I just wimp out on the challenge all together. To frigging cold bros...sorry...haha

OK so for Challenge #6...one of my favorite CSer's is ortega. This bro has style and first rate class photography. He can make some mean snaps of food and cuisine. So I am keen to try some food photography. As you can see my effort leaves a little to be desired...I shall try again though when I am more comfortable with my camera and after I have studied ortega some! Any rate D7K 35-70/2.8 Catfish and Buttered Corn and Hushpuppies also came with a side order of french fries not shown $8.99

OK so for Challenge #6...one of my favorite CSer's is ortega. This bro has style and first rate class photography. He can make some mean snaps of food and cuisine. So I am keen to try some food photography. As you can see my effort leaves a little to be desired...I shall try again though when I am more comfortable with my camera and after I have studied ortega some! Any rate D7K 35-70/2.8 Catfish and Buttered Corn and Hushpuppies also came with a side order of french fries not shown $8.99 http://s118.photobucket.com/user/runwhatyoubrung/media/catfishcorn.png.html

Good deal haha, bro Ortega has almost on a daily basis posted food shots , also peep at them once a while

Challenge #7 I am catching up!

It is somewhat to difficult to try to think of things you do not do much of. For this one I am trying out some wildlife/bird photography. I seldom do much wildlife and birds even more rarely. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact I don't really own a long tele. I go to 135. I have always wanted to do this type of shooting however because I am very fortunate to live on a farm where there is an abundance of wildlife and animals are cool in my eyes. I will be going after a lot of that this year and maybe at some point I might try and pick up an old 300 lens.

OK to set this one up. We have the Killdeer. Lots of these on the farm. The flock sorts of shares the place with the crows, hawks, owls, vultures, and songbirds. They are skittish super fast and hard to get close too unless you happen on one of their nest in which case you will get close to one but it may try to peck the front element out your lens! haha. :) They are ground nesters! Here is a wiki link for you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killdeer

On the way home, pulling down my long driveway to the house I spotted this Killdeer moving off the roadway. They like the gravel drive but the bird didn't want to get ran over I guess so he went for field. haha Smart bird! Anyways, I shot this from my car with the D7K and 35-70 (on Auto didn't have time to diddle). This is a subject where I have significant room to grow and throughout the challenge this year I will try to accomplish some of that growth and hopefully provide you bros with something.

100% crop