Nikon rumours/previews??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Ian

I've never heard that the 300/4 AFS is slow in AF, and the couple of examples I've seen have been more than fast enough. Where did you hear this alleged 'fact'. It may be that quite a few of the review sites like photographyrewiew.com etc have cross posted and misposted reviews. Also people expect what is essentially an amateur grade 300 to be as fast as the 300/2.8 which costs nearly 5x as much.

The tripod collar problem is well enough known and I can tell you for a fact that Nikon Japan is aware of the problem, however it's a minor problem in reality and I have little doubt it will be sorted out at some point in time.

Hi Ian,
I read the slow AF of the AFS 300mm f/4 lens at Thom Hogan website. He expect more from the AFS 300mm f/4 lens as an S lens.

I agree with Jed that F6 is very unlikely to come out this year, so does the AFS 300mm lens. However, how about the D2?

Ok, the original post of mine is to state that rumors will still remain as rumors, and nobody is 100% sure what's going to come out soon unless he/she has definite answer from Nikon, and can show to us. Thus, no point hearing rumors here and there and everybody can make guesses here and there, although some might seems like a poor guess...and you can give 1000 reasons it is a poor guess...still...you are not Nikon, you don't have a definite answer.

Originally posted by YSLee

Eh, take a basic lesson in camera industry history and economics, thank you. Your arguments are starting to look very painful to read. Hope you don't mind.

i also find it had to understand

Originally posted by nicholas1986

i also find it had to understand

No, what you really need is comprehension lessons.

Do you understand what's a development cycle to begin with?

Nikon doesn't start working on their cameras only after Canon releases them. It's an ongoing process, the moment F5 comes out, they start on the F6 , and so on and so forth. In the meantime, the EOS1V might have been released, which puts Canon ahead in terms of product releases . HOWEVER, the product development cycle goes on.

NOWHERE in this thread, has it been stated that Nikon's resting on their butt, but that the product development cycle isn't up yet, and there is no reason to panic on Nikon's side due to the fact that the EOS1V and F5 are about equivialent.

Look, Nicholas, no offence meant, but if you can't comprehend what I'm saying or what anyone here is saying, feel free to message me, and I'll be happy to translate this post into the language of your choice, and dumb it down too, if it's too complicated.

Originally posted by Kho King
Time to close this thread? :)
There's no need to close this thread as we are all mature (or maturing) adults discussing a relevant topic, albeit with differing points of opinions and experiences.

As there is no MAJOR flaming going on, this thread will have a chance to live out its useful lifespan.

And as long as we all contribute WITHOUT disparaging, flaming, badmouthing other posters, ultimately our collective experience and knowledge will increase....

... or am i just spouting rubbish? ;p

FWIW, to Kho King, I have a 300f/4 AFS and I have absolutely no complaints about its focusing speed. And since I have never had a chance to use a 300f/2.8 AFS/AFS-II, I cannot comment as to its focusing speed vis-a-vis those lenses, suffice to say, that MY lens performs to MY expectations and I am still getting the shots I want. The tripod collar situation is far improved from what the websites state, and with proper handholding technique (ie, hand is placed over the lens) I have not had a problem with shake attributed to the tripod collar (whatever shake there is, is due to my own tardiness).

And with regards to product development cycles, being in product marketing, here is my 4 cents worth (and bearing in mind that I DO HAVE working experience of product development from concept to eventual launch/sales). In a great majority of products, the SUCCESSOR is already in concept/planning even as the CURRENT product is nearing launch (eg Prod B is being designed while Prod A is being announced). BUT!! that does not mean that Prod B WILL BE ANNOUNCED/LAUNCHED as the market for it may not evolve or some other market event may happen - goodness knows how many products have been killed even in the last few stages of the development cycle because of this...

So, w.r.t. to Nikon specific products - Nikon F6 - suffice to say that concept/planning for this would have started around the time the F5 was launched, and undoubtedly when the EOS1v was made available. BUT! questions remain as to the market viability given that pros nowadays use digital more than film (National Geo pros notwithstanding) and the F5 is still more than capable of providing great pics.

Originally posted by Kho King

Hi Ian,
I read the slow AF of the AFS 300mm f/4 lens at Thom Hogan website. He expect more from the AFS 300mm f/4 lens as an S lens.

I agree with Jed that F6 is very unlikely to come out this year, so does the AFS 300mm lens. However, how about the D2?

Ok, the original post of mine is to state that rumors will still remain as rumors, and nobody is 100% sure what's going to come out soon unless he/she has definite answer from Nikon, and can show to us. Thus, no point hearing rumors here and there and everybody can make guesses here and there, although some might seems like a poor guess...and you can give 1000 reasons it is a poor guess...still...you are not Nikon, you don't have a definite answer.

Thom Brewer, that explains it, hardly a font of reliable information IMHO and about on par with "Mr Accuracy" a well known wildlife photographer whom a lot of people see as a demi god because he wrote a system guide about Nikon that is riddled with factual errors.

You'll have to take my word for this Khoking. Nikon will NEVER tell anyone not on their international product test teams just what they are up to, and getting a place on the test teams is very difficult. All test team members are required to sign legally binding documents that preclude the signatory photographer from disclosing any information to any 3rd party until Nikon make a formal announcement. This is to not only protect Nikon products from commercial theft by other manufacturers but also to keep the amount of rumours doing the rounds to a minimum. Such contracts are standard in most industries by the way.

As for the D2 well what can I say but keep an eye out at what is released at Photokina. ;)

Originally posted by nicholas1986

so is nikon only going to start inventing from nothing only after canon comes out with a better model?? that would take years and that would give canon an advantage

and what makes you think nikon does not want to rush

and so if nikon is waiting for canon. does this mean that canon is also waiting for nikon. if this is so who would then make the 1st step
Nicholas, as Richard, Darren and Jed have pointed out there's a thing called a development cycle where new products are concerned.

All camera manufacturers have their own development cycle times, Nikon have had an 8 year cycle for the past 30 years in film cameras and Canon have a 5-6 year cycle. This doesn't give either manufacturer a great edge as each is working on the assumption that their products will be leapfrogging each other with no great movement from one brand to another amongst established photographers. The real aim is to capture new photographers at the start of their purchasing life.

The cost of developing a top end camera is horrific, with costs running in to tens of millions of dollars as there's a massive investment in such areas as;

Dies for plastic parts
Metal casting technology for the chassis
Custom made microprocessors and software
CNC programming for milling machines used to finish the metal components (and some plastic components).
Staff training and development.
Conversion of a production line to build the new camera, or in some cases the addition of a new manufacturing plant.

These physical requirements take a long time to put in place, for example a precision plastic injection dye for the camera back can take weeks to make as it's a complex shape and has to be very accurately manufactured.

Professional Digital cameras (D1, D1x etc) on the other hand have a much faster development cycle, typically around 18 months in the case of Nikon. This is because the pace of CCD technology and other technologies associated with digital imaging are still changing at a very fast pace and will continue to do so for quite a few years yet.

However the camera manufacturer also has the added luxury of being able to base digital cameras on existing film bodies which means they re-use a lot of film camera production parts, thus saving a lot of time and more importantly signficantly reducing development and production costs.

So there you have it Nicholas.

Status
Not open for further replies.