Nikon lens warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.

dslang

Jul 14, 2005
Hi. Looking to buy an 80-200 f2.8. There's a 2nd hand one I'm interested in.

Thing is, the guy's saying there's only a 1 year warranty on the lens, he bought it last year. But I know for sure that if I get it in North America, Nikon gives a 5 year warranty on their lenses, and not only that, the 80-200 is going for pretty cheap in www.bhphotovideo.com

What should I do? Is it really true that nikon lenses bought in Singapore only come with a 1 year warranty?

IIRC not all glasses 5 years when purchased in NA.

Glasses purchased locally is limited to 1 year worldwide warranty coverage.

well the 80-200 in NA definately has 5 yr warranty.

maybe i should buy there then...5 yr warranty v.s. a few months left for an extra 300$

erm...

just to clarify..

yes, the lenses purchased from North Ang morica is 5 yrs.. BUT it's only 1 yr international and 4 yrs extended coverage LIMITED to within Ang Mor Land.. not international. So, *touch wood* if kena something after the first year, you would have to ship the lens back to USA to get it fixed. Which i suppose can be both bad or good...

more or less, the "extended 4yrs" warranty will benefit the local residents there rather than overseas one.

to me, i feel that the rebates and pricing are abit more attractive than the warranty... :bsmilie:

and of course, the most important thing of all, the availablity of lenses...

dslang said:
Hi. Looking to buy an 80-200 f2.8. There's a 2nd hand one I'm interested in.

Thing is, the guy's saying there's only a 1 year warranty on the lens ...

Doesn't really matter what the term of the warranty is, because it is NOT transferrable to a second owner. Nikon warranties are only valid for the ORIGINAL owner.

When you buy a used lens, you get ZERO manufacturers warranty coverage. Doesn't matter if there is six months or four years left on the original warranty - you get ZERO.

mikerfns said:
Doesn't really matter what the term of the warranty is, because it is NOT transferrable to a second owner. Nikon warranties are only valid for the ORIGINAL owner.

When you buy a used lens, you get ZERO manufacturers warranty coverage. Doesn't matter if there is six months or four years left on the original warranty - you get ZERO.
How true it is?

Regards,
Arto.

I tawt they look at purchase receipt plus warranty card :dunno:

mikerfns said:

If the warranty card is unfilled and you have a receipt, how does Nikon know whether you are the original owner???:dunno:

Canada has such a strict (read: B***s**t) warranty policy?

Also, my receipts that I keep are usually not the original ones... Not that I throw them away, but I usually xerox a few copies first... As some shops issue receipts on lousy flimsy pieces of paper with the printing fading away after time (not sure what you call those... fax paper?)

Tofu_man said:
Canada has such a strict (read: B***s**t) warranty policy?

Not only Canada - you will find the same proviso on any Nikon warranty.

My point is not to assign any monetary value to the unused portion of a warranty on a second hand Nikon product. Unless you have both the receipt (in your name or with no name) and the unfilled warranty cards it is worthless to you as a purchaser, as the warranty is not transferrable. If the previous owner purchased with a credit card, chances are good that the receipt will have *their name* on it. In that case you would need them to send the item in for you for any warranty repairs.

See below if you don't want to believe ...

Nikon_warranty.jpg

as long as your name is on the warranty card its fine I guess... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.