Nikon lens for photo shooting infant/baby

You seem have not seen others using 600mm or 800mm telephone lenses shooting small birds.:bsmilie::bsmilie:

I know, I saw people shot birds with bazooka lens 600mm f/4 or 800mm f/5.6.
Also people shot XMM model with bazooka lens 200mm f/2.

IMHO, just not practical to shoot with 70-200 f/2.8 for a little baby.

If I was TS, I would use prime lens 35mm f/1.4, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4 with FX camera to shoot.

50mm good enough. All sorts of lenses can be used really, just how you used it.

mount your camera and lens on a tripod. Use a wireless or wired remote shutter release and trigger - while you go off the camera and play with the baby.

Alternatively mount a teddy bear on the lens. Try some low shots shooting upwards. The common mistake is to take too many top-down - as thats how most adults see babies. These angles are too common. The really good shots could require you to become a baby hehe, ie you crawl or even lie down together with the baby to take.

A kit lens 18-55mm kit lens would be nice along with some flash if its really too dark. Simply point the flash head to bounce roof or 45 degrees behind. If ambient light is good, use ambient as well for variety. Watch out for AF-Illuminator. Turn it off to avoid blinding the baby. Also avoid using too strong flash

Angle, lighting, posing and playing are more impt than what lens you use.
100% Agreed.
but most people rather go with the easy route and think that is the answer. Buying a new lens.

50mm good enough. All sorts of lenses can be used really, just how you used it.

agreed. juz use 2 feet ( or 2 knees :bsmilie: ) to zoom in & out. I'm fond of fast-focus, short minimum distance 50s. Still missed my 50USM since I moved to Nikon.

50mm f1.4 on a crop body.
3513525205_3d78ddfd5e_z.jpg

2487429861_7da8c3317e_z.jpg

Last edited:
agreed. juz use 2 feet ( or 2 knees :bsmilie: ) to zoom in & out. I'm fond of fast-focus, short minimum distance 50s. Still missed my 50USM since I moved to Nikon.

50mm f1.4 on a crop body.

He is such a cute boy :)

He is such a cute boy
:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:
i'll tell her she looks like a boy. all 50mm f1.4 on a crop body

wrinkling her toes
2487420671_0b94ae9568_z.jpg

as they grow, the 50mm grows with them too.

1796922769_f1e878b9d2_z.jpg

:bsmilie:
i'll tell her she looks like a boy. all 50mm f1.4 on a crop body

wrinkling her toes
2487420671_0b94ae9568_z.jpg

as they grow, the 50mm grows with them too.

1796922769_f1e878b9d2_z.jpg

Thats nice.. :heart:

50 shd be the way to go..

I intend to shoot my baby with 50 AIS f1.2 :)

AFD35 f2 and AFD50 f1.4... forget about AFS50 or manual unless u only want to take them while sleeping.... u need almost instant like AF, baby will never pose for you, you have to anticipate them, and their expression is always changing every sec... u see they smile, u AF and release shutter, often the smile gone liao...u wait half a sec the key moment is gone... its the candid moments that is really precious... and no flash can beat nice ambient lighting for baby shots... also dun want to flash too many times on my baby girl....

setup ur ambient lighting, play with them and be always ready to shoot at the candid moments...

Thats nice.. :heart:

50 shd be the way to go..

I intend to shoot my baby with 50 AIS f1.2 :)

I tried :) Almost 9 out of 10 OOF on crop body. Zero DOF at close distance, plus super low contrast, plus baby movements random.

Later re-tried on FX body. Same same cos electronic RF not precise enuf for f1.2 @ close distance.

this one 50mm @f1.2. On-camera flash "bounced" off small white card to the left, reflected on curtains and back onto the face. Even while asleep, cannot lock focus cos baby's details too small for in focus brackets

4963073038_c3fe11c7ae_o.jpg

50mm also good for squeezing, contorting yourself into tight painful toilet spaces to take pics of bath & FUN time !!! I believe a 35mm here on full frame would saved me backache

@f2
4963086570_8cb14d6bf1_o.jpg

Last edited:
I have a DX body and a 50mm 1.4, been thinking whether buying a 35mm f1.8 or 30mm 1.4 sigma would help too. I have an 18-55 kit lens too. My baby coming soon and been thinking what's a good lens combo. 35mm & 50mm or upgrade the kit Lens to a 17-55 2.8 or tamron 17-50mm 2.8

I tried :) Almost 9 out of 10 OOF on crop body. Zero DOF at close distance, plus super low contrast, plus baby movements random.

Later re-tried on FX body. Same same cos electronic RF not precise enuf for f1.2 @ close distance.

i intend to use it on my FX, and with practice i hope to achieve some decent shots for my baby from the day he/she's born to 6-8 months.. if not got to fall back on my AF lens..

In child phoography you got to interact with the kid physically. Like tickle their chin, hold their hands to get their attention.
Thus I suggest a 30-35mm prime lens.
Moreover for infant you wouldn't want to use the flash to blow off infront of their sensitive eyes.

Cheap, good, sharp. What else do u need to consider?

If you already have the kit 18-whatever, why not use it first and see which length is most helpful for your situation? If space is too tight, which can be quite common esp when they are in the crib, 35mm might be useful. Using a 50mm sometimes requires super flexible limbs and joints in tight confines. Can always crop anyway

If you already have the kit 18-whatever, why not use it first and see which length is most helpful for your situation? If space is too tight, which can be quite common esp when they are in the crib, 35mm might be useful. Using a 50mm sometimes requires super flexible limbs and joints in tight confines. Can always crop anyway

just did a test shot over the weekend shooting inside the bedroom. 50mm was too tight for some angle but useful from shoulder to headshots.did switch to using the kit lens and at some point, help me on getting the shot i want at a focal length between 30-35mm.

having said this, i might end up getting the 35mm 1.8 too while i keep the 50mm 1.4 as well.
alternatively, save up for the 17-55 f/2.8 ;)

For me, 35mm works better lar... 50mm a bit too tight for me.... ya, chasing and making them post for you is a pain in the bottom.... :bsmilie:

You can always install a split prism focusing screen..

Super accurate after I have that.

i intend to use it on my FX, and with practice i hope to achieve some decent shots for my baby from the day he/she's born to 6-8 months.. if not got to fall back on my AF lens..

Bro, definitely can. But for 50/1.2 best to shoot at widest F1.4. No need to go wide open... DoF too thin..