nikon equivalent lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

harvestnow

May 29, 2002
i'm actually lookin for 3rd party zoom lenses which would be more or less give equivalent quality to which of nikon's, any recommendations? =)

Hmmm... a loaded question .... more or less equivalent quality to Nikons .... hmmm....

Well, 3rd party makes that are quite highly rated are Tokina and Sigma, so I would say these 2 manufacturers would list at the top of anyone's recommendations.

In particular, Sigma's range seem to be more technically advanced with their HSM (AFS/USM equivalent) motors - some highly rated lenses are the Sigma 70-200f/2.8; 50-500f/4.5-6.3; 15-30f/3.5-4.5.

Zoom on down to www.sigmaphoto.com or www.thkphoto.com for more details.

Hi,

I don't think any of the 3rd party lenses can actually match the OEM lenses (Nikon or otherwise), especially for the pro zooms. Maybe the primes can come close, but for the zooms, probably not.

The better ones are from the likes of Tokina and some selected Sigma lenses. Tokina is famous for their AF 28-70mm f/2.6-2.8 ATX Pro/II, which is supposed based on the legendary Angenieux lens of the same range. The originals supposedly cost more than a AFS 28-70/2.8 back then. Compared to the Sigma of the same zoom range, it feels a lot better, and the zoom ring isn't as stiff.

Sigma has a supposed pretty good 70-200/2.8 HSM, but the build quality is so-so, and for that price, I'd rather sacrifice the HSM and pay a bit more to get the non-AFS Nikkor AF 80-200mm f/2.8D ED.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang
.......Tokina is famous for their AF 28-70mm f/2.6-2.8 ATX Pro/II, which is supposed based on the legendary Angenieux lens of the same range. ......

is this the one you are referring to?

atx270afpro2.jpg

http://www.thkphoto.com/catalog/t/atx270afpro2.html

Status
Not open for further replies.