nikon d80 or canon 400d

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all...

I have been thinking to buy a dslr. The thing is I am a newbie and would like to explore photography. Thinking to get a dslr. However, I am wondering between this 2 products: nikon d80 or canon 400d.

What I know, canon is cheaper than nikon. But I am not sure whether I go with the price or any other quality.

How about buying second hand? Actually I have been reading sell/ buy column, but I realised that the second hand price is not that good. It is better to buy new sets.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Go for a new camera body and 2nd hand lenses... ;)

As for which system, you yourself have to consider hard and think about the whole build in terms of flash, lenses, accessories, etc... If you can find a Dec 2006 copy of the Practical Photography, I believe that they have done up a nice side by side comparision on these 2 cameras. ;) ;)

If you have checked the prices of lenses for Nikon or Canon & realize you can't afford them, why not consider the Pentax K100D or K10D. Pentax lenses should be cheaper & they are good too. Sometimes people buy into brands, then realize that they still end up with 3rd-party lenses because of cost.

I could have switched to Pentax myself. But i just don't like the weight n handling of the K10D, so i end up with D80. ;p

Something to think about. ;)

Canon hv very very good :thumbsup: L lens and very very very expensive when compare to nikon ED which are more worth the money, unless going for 3rd party len.

there have been numerous threads before about which mount has more expensive lenses.. all that i can conclude is taht its not true that canon Lenses are generally more expensive than nikon ones.. individual lenses from each stable may be more expensive. on the whole, theres no much differene either way.

I'll choose the 400D definitely. :thumbsup:

not 30D...:embrass:

Just get the canon one...its better...they got L lens that is choosen by pro worldwide...even not a pro also better to have a L lens...

Canon is the best,go for 5D.:thumbsup:

look at how easily you can access features in the menu. one has an interface similar to a P&S, the other is more appropriate for a DSLR. Perhaps that's why they are designed differently.

What I know, canon is cheaper than nikon. But I am not sure whether I go with the price or any other quality.

I would say both cam are as capable but Canon is more expensive - you need to factor in the cost of replacing the 400D kit lens with a better one, which can cost quite a lot more while the D80 plus its better than average kit lens will be sufficient for most beginners and enthusiasts.

I would say both cam are as capable but Canon is more expensive - you need to factor in the cost of replacing the 400D kit lens with a better one, which can cost quite a lot more while the D80 plus its better than average kit lens will be sufficient for most beginners and enthusiasts.

canon cheaper when compare apple to apple...

If you have checked the prices of lenses for Nikon or Canon & realize you can't afford them, why not consider the Pentax K100D or K10D. Pentax lenses should be cheaper & they are good too. Sometimes people buy into brands, then realize that they still end up with 3rd-party lenses because of cost.

I could have switched to Pentax myself. But i just don't like the weight n handling of the K10D, so i end up with D80. ;p

Something to think about. ;)

Yeah, I never checked pentax camera. Their prices is affordable. I am a newbie, may be I should just go with pentax. hmmm

Does pentax has the kit lens? What kind of lense should I consider as newbie? Thank you.

Yeah, I never checked pentax camera. Their prices is affordable. I am a newbie, may be I should just go with pentax. hmmm

Does pentax has the kit lens? What kind of lense should I consider as newbie? Thank you.

Yes, the K100D & K10D comes with kit lens. K10D comes in body alone too.
Best for you is to go to Pentax subforum & read n ask around. For a start >>> http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=247326

For in-depth review of both cameras, go to www.dpreview.com The Pentax SLR forum in dpreview is also a good place to do research. :)

For a newbie, i think just use the kit lens 1st. Or u can try the Sigma 17-70 Macro which i'm using now! ;p

DO remember to consider the WHOLE package...

Not just the initial costing... ;) Subsequent purchases later on need to be factored in.

Yes, the K100D & K10D comes with kit lens. K10D comes in body alone too.
Best for you is to go to Pentax subforum & read n ask around. For a start >>> http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=247326

For in-depth review of both cameras, go to www.dpreview.com The Pentax SLR forum in dpreview is also a good place to do research. :)

For a newbie, i think just use the kit lens 1st. Or u can try the Sigma 17-70 Macro which i'm using now! ;p

You are forgetting an important point. Pentax equipment availability quite bad in Singapore, so don't expect to walk into Lords Camera or something and think you'll be able to get a particular lens or flash without hunting around.

Once you find the item, the price also another thing, specially for the Ltd primes...:sweat: Just know your market price and you'll be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.