Nikon D7000 or D700

Actually a some measurement sites say D7000 has higher dynamic range. I have tested both before and I think the dynamic range is very similar. maybe D7000 is a bit better.

Interesting to know that. In that case i'm very keen to know what the new replacement model for D300s has to offer! I'm not saying D700/D800 is not as good. It's just that when I'm shooting motor sports, 1.5x crop factor does a greater deal for me than an FF body.

i am having the same problems in choosing between this two bodies...
the d700 has a very good high iso capability being a FF. Since it was release back in 2008..don't get me wrong is a good camera but its screaming for more features,updates and new sensor technology which is on the d7000.
read on nikonrumors that most country are "discontinuing" their stock on the d700 as the new "replacement" the d800 is coming out soon by this year. even the D4 the d3x/s replacement. this might not be true thus the name rumors.

so what i decided was to sell off all of my canon gear. yes i was a canon fanboy until i had my hands on both the d700 and d7000. the reason for the jump is also that nikon has a very good range of optics. so i'm getting the d7000 and investing on a sigma70-200 f2.8 and some nikkor primes. so when the new replacement of d700 comes in i sell off my d7000 and i won't have any issues on the lens side or prolly keep it as a back up body depending on my income.

If I am you I will avoid the sigma 70-200. Just get a N80-200/2.8 or just bite the bullet for a N70-200VR2. You will not regret it. I went through the same thought process, deciding between the Sigma 70-200, tamron 70-200, tokina 50-135/2.8 and sigma 50-150/2.8. In the end a 80-200/2.8 fell into my lap at a very good price and I am glad it did.

I have some sample shots of the the 80-200/2.8D push pull here.

Last edited:
Dynamic range of D7000 at ISO 200 may be better (I can't tell you for sure) but I can be sure D700 is superior at high ISO performance. Same lighting, same ISO, pictures produced by D700 is cleaner in terms of noise. At 3200 and above noise in D700 picures are quite visible. Before I got my D700 I was wondering why one would pay 3k if D7000 is as good (or better) @ only 1700. The answer is clear now. Yes, D700 is better in term of ISO performance. Other pros/cons subject to individual preferences. Maybe new incoming cameras will be better(but we don't know for sure)

Dynamic range of D7000 at ISO 200 may be better (I can't tell you for sure) but I can be sure D700 is superior at high ISO performance. Same lighting, same ISO, pictures produced by D700 is cleaner in terms of noise. At 3200 and above noise in D700 picures are quite visible. Before I got my D700 I was wondering why one would pay 3k if D7000 is as good (or better) @ only 1700. The answer is clear now. Yes, D700 is better in term of ISO performance. Other pros/cons subject to individual preferences. Maybe new incoming cameras will be better(but we don't know for sure)

Oh please don't bring up the ISO performances... you sounded like my inner devil at work... :bsmilie:

if D7000's dynamic range is indeed superior to D700, then it must be a heck of a lot better than D90.

I do have my doubts about this though, but no concrete evidence to back me up.

if D7000's dynamic range is indeed superior to D700, then it must be a heck of a lot better than D90.

I do have my doubts about this though, but no concrete evidence to back me up.

not exactly 'concrete', but DxOMark marks d7000 dynamic range performance very highly, even better than d3x. However, whether we can notice these minute differences is another thing..

not exactly 'concrete', but DxOMark marks d7000 dynamic range performance very highly, even better than d3x. However, whether we can notice these minute differences is another thing..

Yeah I saw that too... in a state of disbelief that's all.
But don't know if it will be worth the while to do any real-world comparison.

1 point dominate to D700/D3S/D3X..
lmao.

I can't believe that!

Actually when you say buy a camera because it has higher dynamic range. I'm wondering if you are able to see the difference from the photos.
However, for a high ISO performance camera, you will be able to see the real difference when you shoot at night or under low light situation.

The following is a link to the NikonRumors site where there is a discussion in the comments section on the DxOMark's analysis of the D7000's dynamic range:

http://nikonrumors.com/2010/11/08/dxomark-tests-the-nikon-d7000.aspx

I had tried both..
Man, no way to compare with FX at the moment.

Even the lower end FX D700 overall are so much better in practical.

Last edited:
i understand that the d7000's noise performance is overrated and is suppressed through a noise removal prog in the RAW files, making the details softer. anyone can advice?

i understand that the d7000's noise performance is overrated and is suppressed through a noise removal prog in the RAW files, making the details softer. anyone can advice?

What's there to advice? Just get a D700 loh. Great pricing and value nowadays. Only cost a few hundred more than a D7k, if you know where to get it, that is.

Last edited:
If I am you I will avoid the sigma 70-200. Just get a N80-200/2.8 or just bite the bullet for a N70-200VR2. You will not regret it. I went through the same thought process, deciding between the Sigma 70-200, tamron 70-200, tokina 50-135/2.8 and sigma 50-150/2.8. In the end a 80-200/2.8 fell into my lap at a very good price and I am glad it did. [/URL][/B][/U].

don't get me wrong 80-200 is a good lens... its definitely sharper than the sigma but my purpose for a 70-200 f2.8 is for sports use. the af motor on the 80-200 just couldn't do it for me. i had a pretty good offer for the 80-200 but i preferred the sigma cause of the HSM focusing. as for the 70-200vr2 haha absolutely the best the and price tag too haha.

What's there to advice? Just get a D700 loh. Great pricing and value nowadays. Only cost a few hundred more than a D7k, if you know where to get it, that is.

can advice where to find this price? can pm me if not good to say out. Thanks!

Even it is a few more hundred of dollars, the price that quoted without any lens.
I think Daredevil is referring between D7000 + Kits vs D700.

The costs will still more than S$500..

a new D7000 body only selling in Singapore - around SGD1700 (1-year-warranty covered by Nikon Singapore)
a new D700 body only selling in Singapore - around SGD3100 (1-year-warranty covered by Nikon Singapore)
a new D700 body only selling in Malaysia - around SGD2550 (1-year-warranty not covered by Nikon Singapore)

Last edited:
bornwild4 said:
Even it is a few more hundred of dollars, the price that quoted without any lens.
I think Daredevil is referring between D7000 + Kits vs D700.

The costs will still more than S$500..

D700 in Malaysia with Nikon Malaysia warranty is selling for 5990RM. Around 2550SGD. but not everyone wants to deal with Malaysia warranty.

D700 in SG is around 3050.

Last edited:
yea.. still too painful to consider..