Nikon D600 - Quick and dirty hands on

Yups, you're right about changing settings while still looking into viewfinder. may just stick with d800 as i'm more used to the setup.

Oh yar, even though it's a 'quick and dirty' test - how's autoWB? very much like d800? or somewhat inferior?

from the limited images that i have it looks good

quite interesting that they squeezed a full frame 100% coverage viewfinder into the D7000 one. What is the feel like looking through the VF compared to the D800?

good question, but sorry i did not notice, too many distractions in the viewfinder

ricleo said:
quite interesting that they squeezed a full frame 100% coverage viewfinder into the D7000 one. What is the feel like looking through the VF compared to the D800?

D7000 VF only slightly smaller of viewing display.

Just for example the rear LCD display.
2.5" via 3" got different?
But still can see of the full picture preview.

If compare from viewing 95% via 100% that's lot of different.

Last edited:
actually i disagree. 95% vs 100% is for coverage, what gets cut off, which is important.

relative viewfinder size is important as well because it determines how big the view is. I was surprised that the full frame prism, and a 100% one (compared to d700) can be squeezed into a DX size VF.

D7000 VF only slightly smaller of viewing display.

Just for example the rear LCD display.
2.5" via 3" got different?
But still can see of the full picture preview.

If compare from viewing 95% via 100% that's lot of different.

ricleo said:
actually i disagree. 95% vs 100% is for coverage, what gets cut off, which is important.

relative viewfinder size is important as well because it determines how big the view is. I was surprised that the full frame prism, and a 100% one (compared to d700) can be squeezed into a DX size VF.

Yes I agree with you.

I get your point, if viewing from FX at 100% should be no problem and the viewing just like D7000.
If switch to DX lens would be remain the full view and added DX smaller of DX box right..

That's I wanna find it up.. He he

the 1st FF camera made outside japan, nice budget cam :)

I am testing the d600 with the 24-120 f4, 24-85 and the 28-300. Will start to post this weekend. Bad news or good news is that it rains everyday. So you can really see what the combinations can do in bad light.

ortega said:
I am testing the d600 with the 24-120 f4, 24-85 and the 28-300. Will start to post this weekend. Bad news or good news is that it rains everyday. So you can really see what the combinations can do in bad light.

can't wait!!!

btw can take the opportunity to test its weather sealing capabilities :)

ortega said:
like pour water on it?
no lah cannot do that.. no money to pay if spoil

Yup, I can't recommend testing that on purpose. Why would you do that if you're not a teenager anymore? :)

ortega said:
like pour water on it?
no lah cannot do that.. no money to pay if spoil

cos u mentioned raining these few days ma...hence my suggestion lol

3_lenses.jpg

this is the 3 lenses that i tested with the D600 from left to right

• AF-S NIKKOR 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
• AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR
• AF-S NIKKOR 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR

will they perform on the D600? lets have a look

shot with the 24-85, this is the full image

key_full.jpg

F8 1/250s ISO1600

key_100.jpg

and the same image with 100% crop, notice the holes in the leather

key_dynamic_range.jpg

this is the same file with a little editing to pull up the shadow details from the floor of the car, you can even see how dirty it is

Last edited:
120_key_100.jpg

the same key but this time shot with the 24-120 f4
f8 1/200s ISO1600

key_28_100.jpg

and this with the 28-300
f8 1/250s ISO1600