Nikon D60 or Canon EOS1000?

Status
Not open for further replies.
a shooter i know here, has 2 L's with a 350D;p

well, if you are doing landscape, i believe you would like UWA lenses? 12-24 for nikon, 10-22 for canon and the 7-14 for the olympus, and i would believe the canon is the cheapest for 16mm FOV:D

thats why i am getting a canon.....soon...:D

Thing is, if everybody agrees with Nikon with this reasoning, then why did Canon not handicap the range of lens available for the 3 and 4 EOS series?
And having a cheap body dosent means that the buyer wont use expensive lens..in the Canon subforum there's people who use 3 series with the 70-200mm L series,though it's kinda rare as better body is preferred for their features. But at the end of the day it's the lens that show the WOW factor in photos most of the time

Why not? I use L lenses on my 300D :bsmilie:

I've seen people using 350D with 70-200L F4 and 24-105L IS F4.

A comparison of live view vs no live view for starters, the Canon would seem to be a better deal. But really. I would not think the lack of live view is a handicap for D60. The viewfinder will still make the shots

As for the lightweight, I actually find the D60 to be a breeze to hand carry when shooting. My D80 is getting too heavy on my neck when traveling :bsmilie:

Ryan

I've seen people using 350D with 70-200L F4 and 24-105L IS F4.

but i have yet to see a 1DM3 with a 18-55 kit lens..... hahahaha :bsmilie:

Why not? I use L lenses on my 300D :bsmilie:

The physical capabilities of the body is what they need too. For example, the 3 series do not have a high fps burst mode which limit it's appeal in sports. Plus ergonomics count too.

Of course, this is whether the shooter need this capabilties. For everyday users who shoot a wide variety of subjects and is less-demanding , a L lens combo with a 3 series body can do fine :D

Last edited:
Not true. Haven't you seen people mounting 24-70L on a 350D?
Agree...Nowadays camers have so many pixels that lenses are more important than body in terms of IQ.
Even I am considering a $2200 nikon 24-70mm f2.8 for my $1k D200.
To TS:Just try both out at the shop.IMHO I would buy the D60 for the better grip.1000D is like a tiny camera.And i personally would not buy a cam just cause it has live view.

ok let's get it straight to the point.
I'm getting my very 1st DSLR, i love to take landscape n night shot.

Hmm Landscape - both kit lenses are 18-55 VR/IS and relatively wide enough
NightShot - I'd go with Canon on this one. 1000D is using the same sensor from the 400D, which was known then for good high ISO on a low budget.

Weight with battery: D60 - 522g vs 1000D - 502g. Don't think 20g makes a difference.

Actually, there's another advantage of choosing EOS 1000D over the D60.

The latter does not have a battery grip option, while the former has.
A battery grip is very useful as it greatly up the ergonomics factor and also aids you in taking vertical shots with it's vertical shutter button.

Last edited:
TS - as been repeated many times over, get down to the shop and hold hug squeeze [dont throw, yet] both cameras; better still if the shop's selling both. Its the camera's body, egronomics that will favour your little lady's fingers, it matters for me, at least. Go get the Canon, if it doesnt make you feel like holding a real life Canon. GO get the Nikon if it grabs you. Live view or not, the smaller extra functions are / will only be useful after we learnt to use them. Pictures will still come out good, with or without the feature.

Ok, lets say that the shopkeeper is quite kind and recommand stuff, but not all stuff recommanded are good especially if they know ur a starter. I won't recommand you to get liveview to abuse early if you are starting DSLR as you have to learn how to use the viewfinder. Secondly the liveview of 1kD is quite patatic might as well get a 450D(+ 300 more if you can afford). Thirdly the 1kD grip is quite poor,visit the shop and try requesting for a 450D or 400D to hold on and try to shoot something and hold a 1kD and try to shoot, holding the camera personally to test that its comfortable to shoot and hold for long is very important. Forth is do your research properly, for a starter I serious recommand users to get something like a 400D and learn to pratice on the basic with manual for better understanding of a DSLR system before advancing to something bigger. Lastly do get something like a drybox or dry cabinet to store your equipment before even getting the DSLR.(I forgot to advice my friend this when he get his DSLR and he beg me to store his gears in my dry cabinet after his kit lens grew fungus -_-") Hope it helps :D

aw man.. im soo lost... i think i need to get the basic about camera first, before purchasing... lol...

aw man.. im soo lost... i think i need to get the basic about camera first, before purchasing... lol...

Well said. I used a Oly 770 before recent purchase of 1000D. In process of extensive reading, found that Oly 770 is actually very good for P&S. Only trouble is low ISO and no VR/IS. Imagine its focal length is 38-380mm equivalent! My 55-250mm is only up to 400mm equivalent. Ironically, the more I read about my 1000D, the more impress I am with my Oly 770:bigeyes:

I would suggest looking beyond the C & N camps.

Well said. I used a Oly 770 before recent purchase of 1000D. In process of extensive reading, found that Oly 770 is actually very good for P&S. Only trouble is low ISO and no VR/IS. Imagine its focal length is 38-380mm equivalent! My 55-250mm is only up to 400mm equivalent. Ironically, the more I read about my 1000D, the more impress I am with my Oly 770:bigeyes:

Hahaha true...

But comparing Oly770 vs 1000D just based on specs and features is like:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I tot oly 770 FL is from 38-114... the rest is digital zoom.

Nope. Its actually the discontinued C770 ultra zoom :cry:here

C-770-UZ-silver-front_m.jpg

lol... =D when i mean im lost.. i mean, TOTALLY lost... i dont even understand what the numbers (38-100) means, what's the use of ISO and stuff... im a real NEWB here... i just love snapping pictures... =D using my phone.. lol... can someone give me a lecture.. on the basic.. hahaha

cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.