Nikon D40x Overexposure problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

aq12345

Nov 19, 2006
Hello everyone,

My friend's D40x seems to have a problem that always causes overexposure (somehow) in the picture. This problem surfaced only recently.

These are the settings he use:

- Aperture Priority
- 0 EV
- 3D-matrix metering
- Aperture of 2.8

I'll post examples later.

Here; the floor seems very washed out with white, and many other pictures have this problem. Most of the time, he has to reduce the EV by 1.

I find that both the D40 and the D40X tends to overexpose by default. When I was still using a D40, i set exposure to -0.7 as default. I think Nikon tweaked the cam this way to ensure that newbies will not end up with underexposed pictures.

Here; the floor seems very washed out with white, and many other pictures have this problem. Most of the time, he has to reduce the EV by 1.

It's the system. My D40 under the harsh sun tends to overexposed if not set to -1 ev and a higher f-number. I believe this is the case with many others.

If you are going to shoot at 2.8 during those time, without exposure compensation, blow highlights are unaviodable.

The user is aiming at the wrong thing, resulting bad metering. You need to meter the ground around the shades closest to the strongest light source. Always seek a neutral area to lock the metering then AE lock the config. Aim back at the subject and take a pic.

Status
Not open for further replies.