Nikon D3000 vs Canon 1000D. For a beginner

even more value for money than the pentax k-x ?

I thought the k-x is by far the most value for money liao?? :dunno: so mind boggling....

As a brand in general. They are one of the most value for money. Their higher models also cheaper than canon and nikon equivelants

Plus the ability to use a range of carl zeiss lenses and zooms... I can see why people choosing sony.

Also considering the fact that almost all of nikon's lower end models use the same sony 12mp sensor...its a testament to sony's capability. Don't write off sony so easily. They have a lot of potential. More than pentax. Not that pentax no potential though. They're excellent in their own way. Its just that once you buy a camera, you are buying into a brand. So before buying into a brand, you have to consider what that brand has to offer in terms of lens selection and higher level bodies for your future upgrades.

Just something for you to consider...

Last edited:
As a brand in general. They are one of the most value for money. Their higher models also cheaper than canon and nikon equivelants

Yes. But they lack a complete line-up. no FF especially.

They only chose to compete in a specific slice of the market. Nothing wrong actually. But people who want to take their hobby above and beyond (i.e. FF) need to take note.

They only chose to compete in a specific slice of the market. Nothing wrong actually. But people who want to take their hobby above and beyond (i.e. FF) need to take note.

on another note, some are content with APSC and would not want to venture into FF. If TS is one of them, no worries then.;)

A850. 24mp sensor. Same as the d3x sensor but nikon definitely did their magic on the sensor they got from sony. There are rumours that sony discontinuing ff though...:(

But if ts not intending to venture too high up sony is definitely worth considering. They have the potential to make it big. Just that for some reason they haven't done so. They're nowhere the big 2 at the moment...and they're losing sales ti m4/3. Hmmm

Last edited:
nope I won't venture into FF because no money. Honestly my hubby will never ever ever let me buy a lens that costs for than $300. If it's $100 plus, chances are I can get approval, $200 plus need to negotiate terms and conditions. How many massages etc ( I already owe him 20 massages for the baby bjorn I wanted to get ). Anything more than $300, I start crying also no use already.

Budget wise I have to remain below $800 for a camera with one kit lens. Pentax kit II has 2 lenses for $899, and I managed to convince him that it is good value for money.

Another option is

Canon 1000D + EF 50mm f1.8 II = $709 + $125 = $834
The cheapest zoom lens from canon is EF 55-200mm f4.5-5.6 II USM for $390 , which means cannot get.

Plus I intend to get a flash too.

I know its crazy to want to start such an expensive hobby with such a small budget. Besides finding it interesting and fun, I dream that my hubby will take an interest in it too, so he can take photos of me !! All our photos don't have me in it... coz I'm the one taking the photo. So sad right.

nope I won't venture into FF because no money. Honestly my hubby will never ever ever let me buy a lens that costs for than $300. If it's $100 plus, chances are I can get approval, $200 plus need to negotiate terms and conditions. How many massages etc ( I already owe him 20 massages for the baby bjorn I wanted to get ). Anything more than $300, I start crying also no use already.

Budget wise I have to remain below $800 for a camera with one kit lens. Pentax kit II has 2 lenses for $899, and I managed to convince him that it is good value for money.

Another option is

The cheapest zoom lens from canon is EF 55-200mm f4.5-5.6 II USM for $390 , which means cannot get.

I know its crazy to want to start such an expensive hobby with such a small budget. Besides finding it interesting and fun, I dream that my hubby will take an interest in it too, so he can take photos of me !! All our photos don't have me in it... coz I'm the one taking the photo. So sad right.

Go with k-x.

A850. 24mp sensor. Same as the d3x sensor but nikon definitely did their magic on the sensor they got from sony. There are rumours that sony discontinuing ff though...:(

But if ts not intending to venture too high up sony is definitely worth considering. They have the potential to make it big. Just that for some reason they haven't done so. They're nowhere the big 2 at the moment...and they're losing sales ti m4/3. Hmmm

That's Sony not Pentax. I though you were talking about Pentax.

Of course, one can skip the FF step and go straight for the Pentax 645D ;)

Another option is

If u r on a budget, I really recommend u to consider either k-x or any of the Sony entry levels. if u wanna get Canon, get the 500D or 550D. The 1000D is simply not worth the money to be honest.

For the price of the 1000D, u can get a k-x or a A330, both are superior to the 1000D.

There's one advantage of Sony dslr, they can buy minolta lens at dirt cheap price 2nd hand, for example the minolta 70-210 F4 for just $300. It's a metal body full frame autofocus lens, possibly one of the best budget lens u can ever get. I bought a minolta 75-300 for $100 as well.

Last edited:

Nope. Nikon used a different AA filter. The Nikon filter produces finer high ISO grain, but the sony filter provides much better color separation for prints. Also, they're updating their FF line soon, not dropping it.

Because they're "new". They bought Minolta, and within 3 years took close to 20% of the DSLR market. That's quite impressive actually. As for "losing sales to m4/3" you could say C and N have suffered the same problem. But now m4/3 is facing a challenge from the sony NEX.

You're very pessimistic and need a few more facts.

Another option is

To save money, you could also buy 2nd hand from CS's B&S section.
1000d + 18-55 IS kit : $550
EF 50mm/1.8 : $100
55-250 IS : $300
Flash : $150

Total: $1100

That will give you an excellent starter DSLR system that allows you to take indoor shots, shots at the zoo, flash photography etc. Hubby will not object, I'm sure. :)

Nope. Nikon used a different AA filter. The Nikon filter produces finer high ISO grain, but the sony filter provides much better color separation for prints. Also, they're updating their FF line soon, not dropping it.

Because they're "new". They bought Minolta, and within 3 years took close to 20% of the DSLR market. That's quite impressive actually. As for "losing sales to m4/3" you could say C and N have suffered the same problem. But now m4/3 is facing a challenge from the sony NEX.

You're very pessimistic and need a few more facts.

Din know about the AA filter. :D I'm actually hoping they update their ff line. Sony has great potential imo. Considering that around half of nikon's lineup use sony sensors. That's pretty impressive. And their 24mp ff sensor is pretty impressive, especially the dr. And with a few tweaks, it can be a pretty good high iso performer. (d3x?)

Nex is probably the best thing that sony came up with this year. About time somebody put a decent aps-c chip in a mirrorless. Heard nikon is doing the same.

Pessimistic? Nah. Not to that extent yet. I'm not being anti sony, its just that i think that sony still has quite some way to go to be able to challenge C and N.

Din know about the AA filter. :D I'm actually hoping they update their ff line. Sony has great potential imo. Considering that around half of nikon's lineup use sony sensors. That's pretty impressive. And their 24mp ff sensor is pretty impressive, especially the dr. And with a few tweaks, it can be a pretty good high iso performer. (d3x?)

Nex is probably the best thing that sony came up with this year. About time somebody put a decent aps-c chip in a mirrorless. Heard nikon is doing the same.

Pessimistic? Nah. Not to that extent yet. I'm not being anti sony, its just that i think that sony still has quite some way to go to be able to challenge C and N.

The best thing that came out from sony this year isnt the nex. Check out the sony forum here on the new sony dslr coming out in sep

Last edited:
The best thing that came out from sony this year isnt the nex. Check out the sony forum here on the new sony dslr coming out in sep

:eek: cool. Shall check it out:cool:

To save money, you could also buy 2nd hand from CS's B&S section.
1000d + 18-55 IS kit : $550
EF 50mm/1.8 : $100
55-250 IS : $300
Flash : $150

Total: $1100

That will give you an excellent starter DSLR system that allows you to take indoor shots, shots at the zoo, flash photography etc. Hubby will not object, I'm sure. :)

Great suggestion ! :thumbsup:

However $550 is for something older than a year with no warranty right? And without a receipt I can't claim :(
So have to be retail, which is why I am waiting till Sept to buy my camera so that I can claim $400 from the purchase.

Is it worth it to buy something that has been used for over a year for $150 cheaper than retail ? Might as well get a new one with warranty. no?

I am considering, however will only get second hand if it's alot cheaper than new, as I can claim $400 if I have a proper receipt. So second hand means cannot claim. The B&S here the prices aren't really low, been hoping to get a good deal but yet to find one.

Actually I see alot of 2nd hands asking for more than retail price. How puzzling...

sure sounds u research alot on the used pricing.. lol...
electronics i personally believe getting new is better than getting use...
at least got 12 mth warranty...
as for D3000 or 1000D... i will take a newer model any time...
iregardless of the brands...

sure sounds u research alot on the used pricing.. lol...
electronics i personally believe getting new is better than getting use...
at least got 12 mth warranty...
as for D3000 or 1000D... i will take a newer model any time...
iregardless of the brands...

hahaha that is because I am hoping someone will sell their 1month old camera for like $550 then I can go and run to my hubby and tell him what a great deal that is not to be missed, that even if cannot claim the $400 also great deal !

But no leh, I see a 1000D for sale at $550 that is 2 years old. New one is $709. So sad :(

Of course my gain is people's loss, seller of course want to sell higher and not lose so much money for changing a camera. So no good deal for me.

hahaha that is because I am hoping someone will sell their 1month old camera for like $550 then I can go and run to my hubby and tell him what a great deal that is not to be missed, that even if cannot claim the $400 also great deal !

But no leh, I see a 1000D for sale at $550 that is 2 years old. New one is $709. So sad :(

Of course my gain is people's loss, seller of course want to sell higher and not lose so much money for changing a camera. So no good deal for me.

a brand new 1000D = 709 ??? which shop, best denki have ???
do u have smiles point (esso mobil)... 3000 points = 100 bucks off best denki retail price...
buy new is my recommendations for electronics..
alto i always sell my used stuff here... lol...

here u go...still got 5 months warranty left :)

I sold a 1 month old DSLR for $200+ lesser than the price i bought when I upgraded my camera.

I think to save $150, u buy 2nd hand is not worth it.