Nikon D2H DSLR launched today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Darren said:
Note lens used -> Nikkor AIS 50mm f/1.4 - my oldest lens @ > 15yrs old. Full Matrix metering and flash modes available.
sigh... Darren you are a evil evil man... temptation incarnate... :nono: :D

How accurate do you find the TTL? Are you using an SB 800? Do you need any compensation for bounce flash compared to direct flash?

How are the results out of the camera compared to D100/S2Pro. Are the JPGs sharp and any colour casts?

Any ISO 800 and 1600 tests done? We would love to see the results of the so called 'noise'.

Thanks for posting the shots.

Larry said:
sigh... Darren you are a evil evil man... temptation incarnate... :nono: :D

:) Larry, I thought you are the KING OF THE DARK SIDE...

pcman said:
:) Larry, I thought you are the KING OF THE DARK SIDE...
Hahahaha........ :bsmilie:
Time to throw your camera, get the new one....
BUY...BUY...BUY.....

scanner said:
Hahahaha........ :bsmilie:
Time to throw your camera, get the new one....
BUY...BUY...BUY.....
hey no prob, if i can find some kind soul to top up a few thousand bucks for me, i'll gladly swap my cam now. :D

Larry said:
hey no prob, if i can find some kind soul to top up a few thousand bucks for me, i'll gladly swap my cam now. :D

Larry, no need to top up lah, just go

BUY BUY BUY.

CP or AP might be able to squeeze a set for you :D

He He He ... Here's mine. S$5,999.00 from CP

3fc0ca1a047cb5aa.jpg

3fc0ca6a074cbb46.jpg

Lens used: 70-200mm VR, AWB, Natural lighting.

Vincent

Just a mini test shooting at the Cityhall at night. Pics might be a bit soft though.

Handheld, aperture priority, with AF 35mm f/2 lense. Open wide, shutter speed all @ 1/60 except for ISO800 @ 1/40 and ISO3200 @ 1/200. Using colour mode 1 (sRGB) and w/o any processing.

ISO800
ISO1000
ISO1250
ISO1600
ISO3200

Warning: Full size pics, each around 2mb.

edit: paiseh, links updated. :embrass:

AJ23 said:
Just a mini test shooting at the Cityhall at night. Pics might be a bit soft though.

Handheld, aperture priority, with AF 35mm f/2 lense. Open wide, shutter speed all @ 1/60 except for ISO800 @ 1/40 and ISO3200 @ 1/200. Using colour mode 1 (sRGB) and w/o any processing.

ISO800
ISO1000
ISO1250
ISO1600
ISO3200

Warning: Full size pics, each around 2mb.
Eh brother, don't do this leh, tempt us but all 404

running.jpg

AF 105 f/2 DC ::: 105mm ::: ISO320 ::: 1/1000s @ f/2.8
Cloudy WB

ISO 1600 example

DSC_0363.jpg

AF 105mm f/2DC ::: 105mm ::: ISO 1600 ::: 1/40 @ f/2.8
Additional Color Adjustment - applied Cooling Filter 80a via Photo Filter command in Photoshop CS as Auto WB did not fully correct for orange cast.

Large image available here for your download and additional perusal ->
http://darren.clubsnap.org/D2H/DSC_0363-large.jpg

finkster said:
What and why are there differences between the D1X/D1H/D100 NEF's compared to the D2H? Any improvements in the image itself or just so that the NC4 software can enhance the newer NEF type with better editing features?

What about reverse compatibility? This could pose a problem with users who now work with a D2H and perhaps a D1X or D100 as a backup. My guess is that NC4 and NV6.1+ can do it, but just want to be sure.

The difference in the NEF is in the sensor module.

the D1/D1X/D1H/D100 do not have Nikon's LBCAST CCD. the D2H is the first.

So the image processor and the sensor module saved the RAW difference differently. Just as Fuji's SuperCCD sensor has a Diff RAW file from Nikon's D100.

Hence the need for a newer version, Capture 4, to edit it.

For JPEG, All the cameras can be edited since they all have been compressed and converted to a standard format, Joint Picture Expert Group.

wah Darren you very evil, so young only must force to read difficult Nikon manuals. at least give them the Magic Lantern guide lah... more pictures. :D

If you want to try out the D2H, there is a unit roaming around Sitex. Its not at the main counters but one of the Nikon guys (Max) got it and roams around.

I got to try it today at Sitex. Wow it was fantastic. The shutter response was so fast I almost did not notice the shutter move. Tried out the iTTL flash and I must say it it more accurate than the S2Pro's in TTL and A modes. Bounce or no bounce, close or far, gave pretty consistent exposures.

The viewfinder was alot larger than the S2 and the LCD was great with its large 2.5 inch vs 1.8 inch LCD. Felt like a F5, nice grip, easy to hold.

One thing I did not like was the the LCD could not zoom all the way to 1:1. Seems to make out at 4 x magnification. Maybe there is a way to do it, but could not manage there.

Huh? I was under the impression you could, but it might just be me. Some of the CSers who already have one can probably shed more light. Personally, I'm not a fan of the zooming system, I think it's too cumbersome. But there you go.

I'll get used to it in time I suppose.

StreetShooter said:
Not meaning to troll, but what does the D2H have which the 1D didn't have (besides a Nikon mount... OK and the WiFi thingy)?

SS,

To answer your question and other than the plain specs diff one can see, here are some features that are present in the D2H over what can be found in the 1D:

(1) Step zooming and customizable capability. Non available on the 1D, a complete joke IMO, I guess Canon must have thought photogs have microscopic eyesights. This is just like the missing light on the D30 and the secondary wheel on the vertical grip on the D1 series, I wonder what are these manufacturers thinking ... ;

(2) Customizable front FUNC button, just below our DOF preview button, useful for disabling flash, lock flash value or spring into a one off spot/cw/matrix metering mode, etc. Darn useful on a truly photographic POV ;

(3) An additional ambient sensor, logically placed above the camera. This iteration works really well, and handles Auto WB with style in mixed lighting condition, unlike other offerings ;

(4) Intelligent Li-Ion batt that is both powerful (1k - 2k shots per batt depending on file quality) and useful (features a complete set of battery meter in the CSM) ;

(5) Really confident AF tracking capability. This is one thing I noticed about the 1D vs original D1H, though the 1D locks noticably faster, its ability to keep the target tracked is IMO less satisfactory than the D1H. The D2H's CAM2000 AF module now does it even better ;

(6) *removed*

(7) A complete flash system to boot. The SB-80DX lifted the famous Nikon flash system up by a notch, and completed it with an innovative quck flash release system. The new SB-800, the much touted "mate" made for the D2H, took it to another level with its truly workable wireless capability, a practical fifth battery quick-refresh pack that makes it able to keep up with the D2H, etc ... You shoot with the Canon system, I am sure you are aware of the nitty "details" of what is going on in there.

There are lots of other discernible differences, mostly concentrated in the "cameraness" department like power up time, shutter lag, mirror blackout, etc that makes up the overall feel and handling of a camera but I think the above will suffice for now.

Hope it helps! :)

*PS. Amended. Thanks oeyvind, I think I did miss point 6 out.

Status
Not open for further replies.