Nikon Capture 4.1 crash on run

Status
Not open for further replies.

terryking

Jun 7, 2004
As soon as I run Nikon Capture Editor or Nikon Capture Control my computer instantly gives the blue screen error (STOP error). Haven't found any mention of anyone having any problems like this and I haven't had any problems with any other software on my system. It's a good spec machine, XP Pro, 1gig ram, gigs of hard drive space, Athlon 3200+. The only unusual thing I can think of is it's a pure SATA system, no IDE hard drives. I've tried closing down all other running apps such as virus programs while installing and running, tried different bios settings (as recommended by the blue screen error) and made sure I've got the latest version of the software.

What on Earth can the software be doing that it should instantly crash my system ??? Can anyone think of anything I can try ?

Thanks,
Terry

did u overclock your pc?

It is overclocked, 2800+ to a 3200+. Went back to defaults but exactly the same problem. Even though overclocked it has been rock solid for several months.

Might be your graphics card, did you overclock it as well? Try to stablise your system by running everything at normal speed and upgrade your video card drivers.

Got that too the first time I tried running NC4.1. Try this:

1. Make sure the D70 is set to PTP and NOT Mass Storage in the setup menu

2. Plug in D70 to the USB cable

3. Turn on the D70 (should get some notification of hardware detected, let it finish)

4. Open NC4.1

The first time when I had it at Mass Storage and turned on the D70 and opened NC4.1 the comp did a reboot.. after doing this it was OK. See if it works for you

GYR

Thanks, already tried, still no luck :(

You can try running Prime95 in torture mode to see if it finds any errors. I had my overclocked PC running stable for 1.5 years, no problems at all. And I tried this program and it said that there were calculations that were not done correctly. Found out that my memory needed slightly more voltage. After that, it was stable testing for 24 hours.

You can get the program here: No need to register, just unzip it and run it using torture test.
http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm#download

Aaron

Nikon Capture 4.x has a problem is DEP (Data Execution Prevention) and I have no idea why Nikon designed it that way. DEP generally is a function built in your CPU to prevent illegal execution of data that will corrupt the system. This function is not selectable in XP Pro SP1 but will be available in SP2 which will be launched in 1 month time (keep your fingers crossed). By the time, hopefully you can try some solution like changing your memory (eg, use 1 module first before putting in second one, etc etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.