Nikon Announced D5100

Actually I think Nikon is smart in doing that. You start adding this and that, and in the end, the d5100 will look like the d90 with a new sensor. And that will cannibalize the market for the d7000.

Market segmentation bro.

Can't expect much from an amateur body. It limits itself so that nikon will get more sales for higher end bodies.

The D5100 is meant to rival the Canon 600D. You'll get your money's worth of features within that price range of dslrs. The specs look better compared to the 600D but I'm mainly interested in video so it'll be interesting to see the head to head comparisons for both cameras.

Well, as i said with the new sensor & the 3" LCD display these are already enough for me to get this to replace my aging D5K at a small fraction as compare to getting a D7K which is S$1K dearer. The rest will be added bonus.
Every brand have their pros & cons similar to Nikon & Canon or even Sony in that aspect, never ending if start to compare. main thing is what do you want & feel comfortable with. Just my personal views....

D5100 can record movies 1080p @ 30fps...

NANI!? D7000 can only record @ 24 (23.976 to be precise) fps only max O_O

That's y I said this is a video cam DSLR :p

I'm very excited what kind of godmode features are they going to squeeze inside the D400. ^_^

That's y I said this is a video cam DSLR :p

I'm very excited what kind of godmode features are they going to squeeze inside the D400. ^_^

Nikon designed sensor and return to the D2X form factor?

But it has the same sensor as a D7000... why it can't have the same 1080p 30fps?

Well, as i said with the new sensor & the 3" LCD display these are already enough for me to get this to replace my aging D5K at a small fraction as compare to getting a D7K which is S$1K dearer. The rest will be added bonus.
Every brand have their pros & cons similar to Nikon & Canon or even Sony in that aspect, never ending if start to compare. main thing is what do you want & feel comfortable with. Just my personal views....

Im using a D5K and going for this D5100 is not a upgrade for me. Why go for another same body? Next upgrade for D5K should be around 60D/D300s/D7000 type of cam. Why still go back to motorless body??? :)

ragnarok95 said:
Im using a D5K and going for this D5100 is not a upgrade for me. Why go for another same body? Next upgrade for D5K should be around 60D/D300s/D7000 type of cam. Why still go back to motorless body??? :)

It's a good upgrade if one is not planning to get any non-afs lens

ragnarok95 said:

Already have collection of lens with my D5k, why do I need a body with motor . :)

Actually can u all use easy iso on the d5100?. Becoz on my d7k i use easy iso, means in Av mode my rear dial adjusts the iso with a scroll of the wheel. much faster than even the stinky iso button on the d7k. The iso button on the d7k i need to use my left hand and press and spin the wheel, its very leh chey when u need quick adjustments.

skyhawk88 said:
Actually can u all use easy iso on the d5100?. Becoz on my d7k i use easy iso, means in Av mode my rear dial adjusts the iso with a scroll of the wheel. much faster than even the stinky iso button on the d7k. The iso button on the d7k i need to use my left hand and press and spin the wheel, its very leh chey when u need quick adjustments.

Pardon me if I'm wrong as I'm a D90 user. In A mode, isn't the rear dial for EV compensation?

Since the D5100 has only 1 dial, it doesn't even make sense to have easy ISO. If there is such a setitng, you won't be able to change your aperture in aperture priority mode :bsmilie:
Pardon me if I'm wrong as I'm a D90 user. In A mode, isn't the rear dial for EV compensation?
You can set either easy ISO or easy EV compensation. I personally use it for easy ISO, as the Nikon's EV compensation dial turning works counter-intuitively (left to overexpose, right to underexpose). I prefer to see +/- EV compensation, which is only visible when you hold the EV compensation button.

Nikon D5100 brochure is out.
PDF File

Thanks for the clarification brapodam. Although I find that I change ISO much less often than shutter speed or aperture.

I was hoping Nikon will incorporate the D60 eye sensor into the D5100. Too bad this did not happen.