Nikon AF 80-200 f/2.8D problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

2.8photography

Jul 19, 2007
As mentioned in this thread: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=383117&page=4
my nikon AF 80-200 f/2.8D seems to have a problem. Shots at longer focal lengths and f/2.8 turn out unusually blur, as if there were camera shake.

Examples are here: (very fast shutter speed, f/2.8, long focal length and 100% centre crops)
2655720174_efaafefdc0_o.jpg

2635673859_e335218e45_o.jpg

Please advise what can be done. Will calibration at NSC be helpful? If so at what cost? I would really like to know if not it is kind of a waste to have this lens which cannot be used at long focal lengths.

At f2.8, the dof is very small. did u focus at the centre of the pic? I like my 80-200mm lens, dun seem to have that kind of problem. And what is "very fast shutter speed"?

Were u focusing at very close distance/at min focusing distance? I noticed that the lens would tend to exhibit such behavior in those scenarios as the lens is made for long range shots.

Aric,
I think you should try NSC for calibrating as my 80-200mm DOES NOT do this at all.It should be tack sharp even at F2.8.Doesn't look like motion blur.

Why are you shooting grass like that? Or is it a crop?
Tell the whole story man :)

Is it in all your photos btw?

Why are you shooting grass like that? Or is it a crop?
Tell the whole story man :)

Is it in all your photos btw?

it is a crop as mentioned, and there was a main subject (person). however the person seems to be similarly blurred. i would like to show that my lens is not facing the problem of back focusing (only) but also this unusual softness by showing the entire range of DOF

the shots were taken at moderate focal distances (at least 3m), so not the closest but not infinity either.

the first shot was taken at 1/400s and the second at 1/1000s

reign of computer: how much will it cost to service this lens at nsc?

it is a crop as mentioned, and there was a main subject (person). however the person seems to be similarly blurred. i would like to show that my lens is not facing the problem of back focusing (only) but also this unusual softness by showing the entire range of DOF

the shots were taken at moderate focal distances (at least 3m), so not the closest but not infinity either.

the first shot was taken at 1/400s and the second at 1/1000s

reign of computer: how much will it cost to service this lens at nsc?
since the person is ur main subject(i assume it sld be ur point of focus), its better to post it up instead of posting a crop area which ain't ur focus point... kinda meaningless...
well if its not convenient to post up, at least post up a crop which u are focusing on...

since the person is ur main subject(i assume it sld be ur point of focus), its better to post it up instead of posting a crop area which ain't ur focus point... kinda meaningless...
well if its not convenient to post up, at least post up a crop which u are focusing on...

2679793976_25b28289d8_b.jpg

anyway this is the picture, and what i focused on. btw there are other things in the pic (but oof) and the rest of the person's body is not included in the pic

not a 100% crop, since you want to see the subject, though

I already sold mine.

I already sold mine.

i dont intend to sell my 80-200, just get it repaired.

ive seen the potential this lens has - it can be extremely sharp, and build is :thumbsup:

however, before i do anything, id like to know if this lens has a problem, and how (if i can) it can be solved or corrected.

its a wonderful lens. Shot at ISO640, f2.8, 185mm 1/80 at very near to close focusing distance.

Missed his eye though...he didnt really quite like a big lens pointing at him. hehehe.
2680630132_889c192f17.jpg

However, smaller objects posed more of a problem.

its a wonderful lens. Shot at ISO640, f2.8, 185mm 1/80 at very near to close focusing distance.

Missed his eye though...he didnt really quite like a big lens pointing at him. hehehe.
2680630132_889c192f17.jpg

However, smaller objects posed more of a problem.

see what i mean? the lens is really good and it would be quite a waste to sell it away.

thanks tltan for the shot:) i just need to find out how to get my lens as sharp as yours

well best thing to get someone else to test it out for you to confirm for you. The pic above looks like some handshake to me.

D300 can correct it.. save up and change to D300~

got fine tune..

as long as the lens is sharp..

no worries bout back and front focus issue!

D300 can correct it.. save up and change to D300~

got fine tune..

as long as the lens is sharp..

no worries bout back and front focus issue!

This feature doesnt work that well if the lens is miscalibrated at such a level, it just makes it worse.

In my experience anyway.

Just take it to Nikon, if theres a problem, they will fix it, simple.

This feature doesnt work that well if the lens is miscalibrated at such a level, it just makes it worse.

In my experience anyway.

Just take it to Nikon, if theres a problem, they will fix it, simple.

good advise. If its new, u get warranty, just send to nikon and ask them to do something about it. Bring your camera for them to test. The thing is that you are shooting at extreme lighting condition already...so it shouldnt be handshake I presume....

If u got it second hand, get the person that sold the lens to test it for you. Or view his pictures using it.

Anyway, it DOES have a problem of forward-focusing at the 185mm-200mm region (f2.8) at closest focusing distance. So, the picture will be soft. So, u can increase to f4 or 5.6. Otherwise, use a camera of fine-tuning property (although I havent tried it).

Good luck, hope you enjoy this gem.

Here is another picture taken about the same time as the above. =p

185mm f2.8 1/30 (camera handheld, prone to the floor with hand supporting lens on the floor to gain stability. Focus is on the eye).
2680630664_47043718e1.jpg

You should try to shoot on tripod to see if its handshake. Shoot a stable object and non-moving one to test. the lens needs training to handhold.

Regards,
tltan

for me, i get something like having a softener on when i shoot at minimum focus and f2.8.
here is one i took very long time back

details is there, but with a touch of soft focus. :embrass: it get eliminated once i move further back

mine is back focus issue at 200mm..
about 1.5m to 4m...
crazy~

for me, i get something like having a softener on when i shoot at minimum focus and f2.8.
here is one i took very long time back

details is there, but with a touch of soft focus. :embrass: it get eliminated once i move further back

hmmm pretty nice effect actually....

Status
Not open for further replies.