Nikon AF 50mm f/1.8D Accessories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aldrick

Aug 22, 2005
Singapore
Hi all,

Need some advice here.

After purchasing this lens Nikon AF 50mm f/1.8D for my Nikon D50. What other accessories I need to buy? I look through some threads and it mentioned something about filter, hoods and reversal ring. I don't know exactly the terms used nor the items parts. Please advice me. :)

Thanks in advance.

You don't need anything actually. Can just use the glass direct. There's no front element so you don't have to worry about getting a filter, although you could if you want.

Aldrick said:
Hi all,

Need some advice here.

After purchasing this lens Nikon AF 50mm f/1.8D for my Nikon D50. What other accessories I need to buy? I look through some threads and it mentioned something about filter, hoods and reversal ring. I don't know exactly the terms used nor the items parts. Please advice me. :)

Thanks in advance.

When you buy 50mm, it doesn't come with a hood but the front glass is deep enough that the lens already got a "built-in" hood.

Filter, as espn said, is not necessary since its a "cheap" lens, the glass so deep, and the filter will seem expensive compared to the cost of the lens itself.

Normally you can't focus too closely to your subject, i.e. small items like rings or micro-machines, but with reversal ring, you can flip your lens and attach it upside down, this will help focus closer and gives u cheap macro function. But the downside is that focusing is manual and the lens needs to be very close to your subject. So if you focus on translucent things like wedding rings, its quite difficult n time consuming. So far, the only use I got is to bring it around and talk about it over beer but not for photography.

So my advice, after purchasing this lens Nikon AF 50mm f/1.8D, start shooting and save your money for other things.

would be nice to get a hood for it :bsmilie: have one for mine and loving it. protects so well.

TMC said:
would be nice to get a hood for it :bsmilie: have one for mine and loving it. protects so well.

Is your hood from Nikon? Or some other brand? How much it costs? Got picture to show me? Thanks.

espn said:
You don't need anything actually. Can just use the glass direct. There's no front element so you don't have to worry about getting a filter, although you could if you want.

What do you mean by front element?

dawgbyte77 said:
When you buy 50mm, it doesn't come with a hood but the front glass is deep enough that the lens already got a "built-in" hood.

Filter, as espn said, is not necessary since its a "cheap" lens, the glass so deep, and the filter will seem expensive compared to the cost of the lens itself.

Normally you can't focus too closely to your subject, i.e. small items like rings or micro-machines, but with reversal ring, you can flip your lens and attach it upside down, this will help focus closer and gives u cheap macro function. But the downside is that focusing is manual and the lens needs to be very close to your subject. So if you focus on translucent things like wedding rings, its quite difficult n time consuming. So far, the only use I got is to bring it around and talk about it over beer but not for photography.

So my advice, after purchasing this lens Nikon AF 50mm f/1.8D, start shooting and save your money for other things.

What actually does the filter is used for? How does it look like?

How much does a reversal ring cost? It's from other brands or can purchase original from Nikon?

Aldrick said:
What actually does the filter is used for? How does it look like?

How much does a reversal ring cost? It's from other brands or can purchase original from Nikon?

The filter is just a piece of glass. Suppose to protect from UV (which is not really useful for digital) but main use is actually to protect your lens (i.e., you touch lens, got oily, you rub cloth on it. Imagine filter instead of lens. Filter cost $10-20 so still okay. Just but good quality, cheap lens degrade your contrast.

Reversal ring, I bought mine from Parker. Check from him. I'm not sure Nikon got but since its a solid piece of alloy, the only precision you need is the threading. No burrs or loss-thread, then can already.

My hood and filter is free with the purchase of my lens. from the local 2H store. Its a totally round metal filter. You can ask ParkerTR for the petal hood for hte 50mm, think he was selling them.

Reversal rings are only by nikon. no 3rd party.

Aldrick said:
What do you mean by front element?
The front area where the len cap covers, has no element (glass).

The hood for 50mm is the HB-12 IIRC.

espn said:
:think:
ur implying theres no elements at all. the element tt collects light at the very front is called the front element right?

i think wat u meant is that since the glass is so deep inside the lens, its unlikely tt it'll get scratched or sth :dunno:

roti_prata said:
:think:
ur implying theres no elements at all. the element tt collects light at the very front is called the front element right?

i think wat u meant is that since the glass is so deep inside the lens, its unlikely tt it'll get scratched or sth :dunno:
If you want to be extremely technically correct, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.