nikon 85mm f1.8d

sin77

Nov 28, 2004
Do you shoot this lens wide open? Do you find it too soft or having too much CA? Whats the widest aperture you would on this lens? Or would you be even bothered by these?

Would I be better off with afs g version or the macro f3.5vr at its widest aperture? Worth the upgrade?

Last edited:
It is a great lens. Sharp and good build quality.
I used it 80% of the time.
Not even bothered by the CA.

I have shot with all 3.

AF 85mm f/1.8 D. Sharp enough to count see eye brow hair at wide open if the focus is spot on . Stopped down it even gets sharper. No issues with CA on mine. Caveat is focus accuracy at wide open. Some samples back focus. If you can find one that focuses well & reasonably priced, it's a good buy.

The AF-S 85mm f/1.8 G version is more sharper, definitely can count eye brow hair, has better bokeh. You will be better off with the AFS version if you are looking best $ value vs image quality.

The AF-S 85mm f/3.5 G VR, is also very sharp & has VR. Caveat DX lens & max slow aperture of f/3.5, about the price range of the AF-S 85mm f/1.8G.

Last edited:
Roughly how much is a used afs f1.8g?

Used AFS 85/1.8G should be in the range of $450-500. New one costs around $600.

Is it a better deal getting f1.8d at $350?

Now that I have 85mm. What other cheap and good options do I have for longer focal length fixed prime? Around 140 to 180 mm would be ideal.

Hmm...I tested all 3 & kept the AF-D version

Nikkor 180mm f/2.8 ED AI. Mid price & sharp when stopped down.

AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8 IF-ED (Non D version, without distance data for flash)

AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D IF-ED (current design but the finishing & design is still looks very dated), CA on bright high lights & mild softness wide open, razor sharp when stopped down by 2/3 to 1 full stop from f/2.8.