Nikon 80-200 f2.8 or Nikon 70-200 f2.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
If want fast AF & save money, get the AFS 80-200 if you can find a used set.
Price <$2K.
I just gotten 1 and Love It..:sweatsm:

espn said:
Serious, mpenza, you should really hold the 1-touch and use it. :sweat: It's very much heavier than the newer two touches. :sweat:

No lah, the 1-touch is the same weight as the 2-touch, 1300g. The 80-200 AFS lens is heavier at 1550g, the VR is 1430g.

reflecx said:
No lah, the 1-touch is the same weight as the 2-touch, 1300g. The 80-200 AFS lens is heavier at 1550g, the VR is 1430g.
The 250g weight difference is the main reason I choose the AFD80-200...

espn said:
80-200 has 16 elements in 11 groups, and the 70-200VR 21 elements in 15 groups.

80-200 is a AF, while 70-200VR is a AF-S.

80-200 is a D type glass, while 70-200VR is a G type glass.

there's an AFS 80-200, ya?

what do u mean by D n G type glass??
never heard of these b4.. :think:
onli heard of ED glass. :sweatsm:
i onli noe 70-200 is a G type cos no aperture ring..
D as in Distance Info? then both lenses have this technology

reflecx said:
I know, but the push/pull design & build makes it feel very heavy over the other two AFD/AFS glasses.

I also surprised to see the weight listed as lighter, but the design made it feel very heavy and uncomfortable on use :sweat:

hackie said:
there's an AFS 80-200, ya?

what do u mean by D n G type glass??
never heard of these b4.. :think:
onli heard of ED glass. :sweatsm:
i onli noe 70-200 is a G type cos no aperture ring..
D as in Distance Info? then both lenses have this technology

Ya, but if you read the threadstarter's query, he was comparing the AF-D 80-200 f/2.8 against the AF-S 70-200VR f/2.8G, so I don't know where the world you want to bring the AF-S 80-200 f/2.8 in, ya?

Simply put, I use the D and G to seperate the aperture ring difference between the two, some might find it a concern for FM bodies which require the aperture ring. Maybe, yes, using D to segregate the glass from G type is wrong, but oh well, it's easier for me to understand (yes, myself) regarding the aperture ring difference.

As for D/G glass, I was referring to the 70-200 entirely as a glass (aka len) as G type. I didn't mean to say it uses G glasses. Thanks for nitpicking.

espn said:
Ya, but if you read the threadstarter's query, he was comparing the AF-D 80-200 f/2.8 against the AF-S 70-200VR f/2.8G, so I don't know where the world you want to bring the AF-S 80-200 f/2.8 in, ya?

Simply put, I use the D and G to seperate the aperture ring difference between the two, some might find it a concern for FM bodies which require the aperture ring. Maybe, yes, using D to segregate the glass from G type is wrong, but oh well, it's easier for me to understand (yes, myself) regarding the aperture ring difference.

As for D/G glass, I was referring to the 70-200 entirely as a glass (aka len) as G type. I didn't mean to say it uses G glasses. Thanks for nitpicking.

if clarifying is nitpicking, then wat's nitpicking?? :bigeyes:

juz clearing my doubts abt the D n G type u mentioned.

hackie said:
if clarifying is nitpicking, then wat's nitpicking?? :bigeyes:

juz clearing my doubts abt the D n G type u mentioned.
Yes sirrrr, sorry I made you blur about D and G types that I mentioned.

Seriously without the weight, the CG on the bodies + glass won't be affected? Esp if say 80-200DX on a D2X mounted, where would the tripod mount be? On the glass or on the body?

espn said:
Seriously without the weight, the CG on the bodies + glass won't be affected? Esp if say 80-200DX on a D2X mounted, where would the tripod mount be? On the glass or on the body?

The one-touch doesn't have a tripod mount. It's a great lens, but I never liked using it on a tripod - always wondered if the strain would damage the mount.

HN31 said:
The one-touch doesn't have a tripod mount. It's a great lens, but I never liked using it on a tripod - always wondered if the strain would damage the mount.
Eh, the 80-200s have all been great glasses. :D

I was talking about vapourware 80-200DX... :D

espn said:
I know, but the push/pull design & build makes it feel very heavy over the other two AFD/AFS glasses.

I also surprised to see the weight listed as lighter, but the design made it feel very heavy and uncomfortable on use :sweat:

i totally agree with this. i used to use the push/pull extensively in sch. its ok as long as u dont hand hold it. the push/pull zoom design is oso not meant for handholding IMO. with zoom rings i juz hav to twist it with my index finger and thumb while my palm still holds the lens steady. with push/pull i've got to use my entire hand to zoom causing the lens to jerk. after getting the zoom i want i hav to reaccquire and stabilize b4 i shoot:angry: verry troublesome.

i think for thread-starter, if ur not a very [mobile] fotographer, i.e move around alot, get the afd and a good tripod. vr is more of a convinence at least to me, so is afs(when im not shooting sports that is)

hijack abit, as espn was talking about cg, is it possible to get tripod collars for mid range zooms like the tokina 28-80? coz its so heavy that when my d70s is mounted on tripod the whole thing tends to tilt 5deg down after i twisted tight the axles

go for 80-200 w/o vr
its a very good lens indeed...

vr is expensive and heavy too but the quality in daylight will have no difference.
based on my experience vr is needed in low light condition...

Status
Not open for further replies.