Nikon 24-70mm Problem with Barrel Rubbing

stpaul

Dec 13, 2008
hi fellow Csers last night when im in the middle of the shoot i noticed my 24-70mm is tight to zoom in and out its like someone rubbing in side the barrel i heard this is the common problem of this lens,any idea if how much will it cost me for the repair?any idea if where should i bring this for repair except for NCS?pls i need your advice..by the way my lens is no warranty already,thanks!

hi fellow Csers last night when im in the middle of the shoot i noticed my 24-70mm is tight to zoom in and out its like someone rubbing in side the barrel i heard this is the common problem of this lens,any idea if how much will it cost me for the repair?any idea if where should i bring this for repair except for NCS?pls i need your advice..by the way my lens is no warranty already,thanks!

In what condition do u find the zoom ring hard to turn? while shooting normal or pointing up or down? its harder to zoom when pointing up/down normally as the lens is heavy to push up or pull back.

the last 20mm (from 50-70mm) the zoom is normal to be a little tighter than the zoom from 24-50mm this is due to the helicol design.

its unless something came loose inside and jam up the helicol, or your lens body was hit and the there is a deformity on the lens that jam up the zoom ring.

Not sure how much it will cost you if its a loose cable or screw inside that cause the problem but FYI (personal exp) if u need a change on the barrel assembly which is the other body that you hold, the cost is 1K+ including service charge at NSC.

If your lens still under warranty, go get NSC to check it. else third party repair u got camera hospital, camera workshop and fatigue(CS member) but pls be know that its a 2K+++ lens you have and are u comfortable with third party. but end of the day its your choice.

Thank you sir nixontkl for your reply..the problem of my lens is when i zoom in and out at
around 35-24mm is a tight already i know yhis is not normal as i use this almost everyday,i think theres something rubbing inside coz i heard an unusual sound..my lens is no warranty already,if u think this will cost me for 1k+ repair would you think its worth the money i pay for the repair?if i send this i will go for NCS..

Thank you sir nixontkl for your reply..the problem of my lens is when i zoom in and out at
around 35-24mm is a tight already i know yhis is not normal as i use this almost everyday,i think theres something rubbing inside coz i heard an unusual sound..my lens is no warranty already,if u think this will cost me for 1k+ repair would you think its worth the money i pay for the repair?if i send this i will go for NCS..

if its a damage parts inside that is causing the problem, then i would think that NSC is a better option as they have the parts. but if its just a loose screw then NSC will be expensive, but u can have a safe mind that if anything happen while their diagnosing your lens u can get them to pay, as for third party its a risk u have to take.

just to ask have u knock your lens anywhere just before it became tight? (mine was a drop and the zoom ring jam at 50mm) examine the body of your lens around the zoom ring to see if there any deformity even the slightest can cause a zoom jam as the 24-70 magnesium alloy body is precision engineering part, thou the body is tough and can take a few knock but just not tooo hard a knock against anything that is harder than Mg alloy.

advise is not to try to zoom anymore until u need to show it to the repair person. have a feeling it maybe a loose screw or part inside that is causing the problem.

u can consult 'Fatigue' our friendly CS free lance repairman, he have repair alot of nikon and some other brands of lens for ppl in CS. he might be able to give u a better troubleshooting base on your description.

end of the day who u choose to fix your lens is your choice cos its your $. NSC to be safe but expensive of cheaper third party but with some risk. its all up to u. its a expensive piece of equipment.

i never knock or drop my lens bro as i most takig care of all my nikon gears,the 2nd barrel when i zoom out the lens i notice this lika a hair line some of it maybe causing for the rubbing inside..may i know where can i contact "Fatiuge"? i hope this is only a loose screw inside..

i never knock or drop my lens bro as i most takig care of all my nikon gears,the 2nd barrel when i zoom out the lens i notice this lika a hair line some of it maybe causing for the rubbing inside..may i know where can i contact "Fatiuge"? i hope this is only a loose screw inside..

search for his nick 'fatigue' and PM him, he stay in bedok area near the famous bedok 85 'bah chor mee' so if u stay near it will be convenient for u.

if its a loose screw, dont go turning your zoom anymore as the rubbing may do more damage inside.

thanks for the help bro..i try to contact also David Hillos he's my freind also..

just bring it down to NSC, let them examine it and give u a quote.
then if the price is too high / not worth, get quotes from 3rd party.
like what nixontkl had mentioned, unless it's something loose, else the repair would be quite costly especially if you have to replace the whole barrel.

Last edited:
Do a seach & you will find lots of answer for the zoom barrel problem. If your lens have no more warranty, it will be a very costly problem. repair bill can be around $600-$800.

thanks for all the advice wdEvA & sammedia..i will bring first to NSC and let them examine first the deffect atleast i have an idea if how much and whats the cause of the rubbing,if its high for me the repair then i think im going to my second option which is the 3rd party..cause they say if the barrel is the main problem NSC will change it but it doesen't mean its permanent ok already..

I had this problem with my lens Nikon Malaysia got it replaced with new barrel, my lens was on warranty then,with new serial number its like replacing brand new lens.

Its a common problem, read this thread you will see its worldwide:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/nikkor_24_70/discuss/72157615300077438/

Which is really a pity coz this is a great lens. Too bad we don't have a sharper choice.

My first copy makes intermittent 'metal grinding' noise problem too. 2nd copy now is great (please please stay great). But this fact had me now having a cheaper midrange zoom on standby for backup just in case.

Good luck.

Thanks sjackal for the info.. in my own opinion specially for all the Nikonians out there i think its unfair for us specially if you encounter this kind of problem beacause where talking about here is $$$ just to get one of the trinity lens but the quality is not worth it,this is a factory diffault from Nikkor Lens Corp. which is i think they should solve or have a solution from it.. im a solid Nikonians since i start from photography but felt bad and dissapointed when this thing happen to me,if only we can appeal to this problem but i know its impossible..

What's fair? You think you spent a lot? Tell that to Toyota owners.

Nobody can gurantee defect free products, no matter how much people cry about it.

I think TS/people is not asking for defect free products, but a free out of warranty repair if it is the zoom/barrel issues.

A lot of companies do that if they find it is a inherent design problem that causes an unacceptable rate of failures, example Microsoft for xbox 360, or toyota owners, etc.

@ alantkh-Thanks for your concern sir..

@ Kit- i dont want to wait and happen for me to spent a lot money for this sir specially i TRUST that Nikon have a good quality thats why i choose Nikon..i spent money to buy this expensive piece of glass cause it will serve me well and i do know that this is one of the trinity lens that Nikon have,but im not expecting this to happen for me specially that i never drop or bang my lens as i taking good care of all my Nikon gears..and i think i have a right to say my opinion here cause this is what i feel right now,we pay for thier stuffs although expensive cause we all know Nikon is good when its comes to quality..and FYI sir kit im not the only one who experience this,its a WORLDWIDE problem already..for me its an alarming already to all the consumers specially who devoted to Nikon,i show you some thread for you to beleive..and by the way are you a Nikonian also sir kit?is this happen to you also?

1.) http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/niko...s-ed/for-nikon

2.) http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=637503

3.) http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=635242

Watch also this video as for sir sjackal.. you judge by yourslef...

1.) http://www.flickr.com/groups/nikkor_...7615300077438/

Wah dont call people sir here and there leh. Or else I gotta call you Saint liao.

Anyway the link you post is broken.

I did a brief read on the other thread, well seems like they will commonly say you knocked the lens.

I don't mean to be mean or wicked or harsh but this is a pro spec-ed lens for hard working professionals relying their ricebowls on it no? Or for collectors shooting brick wall and then keeping it safe in the vault? Should the company strive to inspires confidence on their product and should the company stands behind its product or should they point finger at their customers?

Seriously I love the Nikon brand, but I hope its not a one way love. :bsmilie:

What's fair? You think you spent a lot? Tell that to Toyota owners.

Sir, I think there is no need to add salt to the TS's wounds. If the music is not right, just change the station, no need to hate the DJ.

Just saying...

:)