Nikon 24-70 buzzing sound at focus ring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately this student has to suffer not spending a single cent for 7 months before he can afford it. Not fun yknow.

Sometimes it is smarter to spend within one's means. And buying something is not just the purchase price, but must also factor in maintenance and operational costs... Total Cost of Ownership.

Tamron 28-75 2.8 cost below $500 pre owned.

24-70 is a working pro workhorse lens. The ROI is infinite and fast, it is probably the single most worthwhile lens to buy.

If you have no budget, the Tamron 28-75 2.8 gets you there faster.

I used the tamron 28-75 for some paid work in the past before I got the 24-70. The 28-75 is definitely no slouch and is worth its (light) weight in gold. And it only cost $560 brand new.

You sure? the 28-75 IQ is not easy to beat...

Just for fun... see these 2 pics (100% crop)... One is shot with Tamron 28-75 wide open, the other shot with Nikon 24-70 wide open..
Can you tell which is which? And is the IQ difference that apparent?

7171214497_7f6913e23c_b.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all. i just would like to check if any of the bros here have any experience with a buzzing sound coming from the focus ring of the nikkor 24-70 f2.8? The sound is like a very rapid clicking/buzzing sound when the focus ring is turned manually.

What i found out from David at P&G when i sent the lens for servicing was that the sound originated from the focus switch under the focus ring. It's just a minor cosmetic issue but i feel uneasy when i hear the sound. Is it supposed to be there?

Further David told me that the AFS motor had some carbon built up and that i should recondition the motor. He offered to do it for me for $380 which i felt was okay since he assured me that it will work like new once again and also it was much cheaper than fixing it at NSC (labour alone will cost $400 =O) I have no experience with the term "recondition" thus is there anyone here who can explain the process to me? =O

My first copy had the high pitch (but low volume) screeching sound sometimes during focus, like it got stuck somewhere inside, focusing sometimes gets locked up and dead, it is probably the famous barrel problem. Bought new from MS Color, and it was more than the usual 7 day return norm, but MS Color Florence still exchanged a copy for me and its great. That was several years ago before we have the new lemon law. Other people who problems had to replace the barrel at NSC which costed $600+ IIRC. Am surprised to learn that it cost $900+ now.

I'm happy and I know it mah. How? XD

Good lor. That is why you are so pro.

But why so post so much about this if you are happy?

Maybe buy a new set is better... a certain grey seller is now selling 24-70 at 2.2k only brand new. And I got my warranty set at just slightly more.

Last edited:
daredevil123 said:
Good lor. That is why you are so pro.

But why so post so much about this if you are happy?

Just ranting :3 and clearing some doubts

The noise usually comes from the motor. It's either worn out or there are some dirt in the motor. USM, SWM, SSM, HSM,...etc all of them works in the same principle. Different makers just call them different names. There are 2 major parts, stator and rotor. The dirt usually gets trapped in between these 2 parts
I'm not really sure if the dirt is carbon build up (unless your lens is burning fossil fuel ;) ). I guess the repairman is just trying to explain everything in layman's term.
I have cleaned some motors before but mostly on cheap lenses. Cleaning the motor usually works but it has to be handled meticoluosly. Sweat from your hands could cause more problems.

Last edited:
fatigue said:
The noise usually comes from the motor. It's either worn out or there are some dirt in the motor. USM, SWM, SSM, HSM,...etc all of them works in the same principle. Different makers just call it different names. There are 2 major parts, stator and rotor. The dirt usually gets trapped in between these 2 parts
I'm not really sure if the dirt is carbon build up (unless your lens is burning fossil fuel ;) ). I guess the repairman is just trying to explain everything in layman's term.
I have cleaned some motors before but mostly on cheap lenses. Cleaning the motor usually works but it has to be handled meticoluosly. Sweat from your hands could cause more problems.

Ohhh. Thanks for the explanation :) the squeaking sound came from the motor yes but I'm quite sure the clicking sound disnt

Sadly. Haha

Next time test properly before buying... In the end it is going to cost you more than buying a new piece. Personally I prefer to buy lenses new nowadays. Gives me peace of mind.

daredevil123 said:
Next time test properly before buying... In the end it is going to cost you more than buying a new piece. Personally I prefer to buy lenses new nowadays. Gives me peace of mind.

I've learnt my lesson now haha

Unfortunately this student has to suffer not spending a single cent for 7 months before he can afford it. Not fun yknow.

So sad to hear you have some problems with your precious lens but I don't think anyone here is interested to know how you do to afford a expensive lens as a student. I presume that you came from a quite well off family and admired your suffering of not spending a single cent for 7 months to buy a Nikon 24-70 plus many others months to buy your own DSLR/Lenses.
However it's kinda going OT ( or off topic ) off the thread's intention ( asking for advice in what's the buzzing sound of the lens ).
Hope it can clear some air for you to know what to post.

jnet6 said:
So sad to hear you have some problems with your precious lens but I don't think anyone here is interested to know how you do to afford a expensive lens as a student. I presume that you came from a quite well off family and admired your suffering of not spending a single cent for 7 months to buy a Nikon 24-70 plus many others months to buy your own DSLR/Lenses.
However it's kinda going OT ( or off topic ) off the thread's intention ( asking for advice in what's the buzzing sound of the lens ).
Hope it can clear some air for you to know what to post.
My original question was about conditioning the lens which bro David here have explained to me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.