Nikon 18-200mm VR

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalman

Aug 17, 2005
Hi,
I know the topic for this lens has been beaten through and through, but I have just got one and was comparing it to my Nikon 80-200mm f2.8 AF and noticed that at 200mm on both, the 80-200mm has a higher magnification. Wouldn't both have equal magnification?

Thanks!

Newbie here...but what do you mean by magnification?

200mm does not mean 200.0000000mm. it could be 197.123456mm rounded up or 203.987654mm rounded down.

The 18-200mm suffers from the focal length drop back, at rather close distance, the 200mm is something like 135mm only...:(

dun b ridiculous la. i got the 18-200 and its far from 135 as u said. its abt ~197 from an article i read from thom hogan

I guess this gotta do with subject-to-camera distance

The 18-200mm suffers from the focal length drop back, at rather close distance, the 200mm is something like 135mm only...:(
where did you get that information from?

AFAIK, the numbers are rounded up/down, different model lens at the same focal length will give you a slightly different magnification.

Should be the same when focussed at infinity......... lesser at closer distances...... strange but true.... :)

dun b ridiculous la. i got the 18-200 and its far from 135 as u said. its abt ~197 from an article i read from thom hogan

Unfortunately, it is true when you are focussing at near objects. I have had the lens before and experienced the same thing...... focussed at infinity, it is alright. Read this:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/18200/18200-focal-length.htm

Yes, it is Ken.

its not strange. all lens when focus closer of cos have to shorten their focal lengths. if u focus further u have to lengthened the focal length also. if u using primes if u shorten focus u gotta move closer to ur subject too!

18-55
18-70
18-200

at 18mm, all three lense also give me different angle of view:)

18-200 being the widest...

which i am not complaining hehehehe

Thanks Jimbotan, for the article from Ken Rockwell. It explains, the method of Internal Focusing affects the field of view at subjects that are rather close. I tried focusing on something far away and both lenses have the same field of view at 200mm. This is something new to me! Phew, at least I'm not short-changed!:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.