Nikon 18-200 VR version II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys pls be realistic.. If nikon improve the 18-200 until so good so sharp who would buy the 70-200 vr? If u want better color n sharpness sell away the 18-200 n get at least a 80-200. If not u all can wait for 18-200 vrIII to come out...

hi bro..are you encouraging or what? :)
want to see us scratching the bottom of our pockets?

some reasons to use 18-200 include rather small & light built and its MFD (can focus down to about 18")..
and its discreteness..can zoom-in to 200mm in seconds for close up shots of ppl without being let them alarmed :bsmilie:
if i'm out on the street with 70-200 pointing at them?? no way sir..thanks..:sweatsm:

hi bro..are you encouraging or what? :)
want to see us scratching the bottom of our pockets?

some reasons to use 18-200 include rather small & light built and its MFD (can focus down to about 18")..
and its discreteness..can zoom-in to 200mm in seconds for close up shots of ppl without being let them alarmed :bsmilie:
if i'm out on the street with 70-200 pointing at them?? no way sir..thanks..:sweatsm:

Actually Omega23 is correct. What do you expect from a all round superzoom that cost around 1k. To improve it to the point of perfection will make the lens cost 2-3k and will render the lens big and heavy as well. At that time, who will still buy it?

For people who are so particular about IQ, they should consider the 70-200 or 80-200 and pair it with a 2.8 standard zoom like the 17-55.

Want cheap, want fresh, want big big. Aiyoh, where got so good kang tao one...:nono:
Something has got to give la.

Actually Omega23 is correct. What do you expect from a all round superzoom that cost around 1k..
Want cheap, want fresh, want big big...

you are also correct :bsmilie:
even with many complaints, have to buy it at last..can't afford big big ones :sweat:
justifying myself to go for this one..
so, just looking for *little* improvement thaz all..cheers..

So everything is the same except the zoom lock? Might as well stick with the old one then...

So everything is the same except the zoom lock? Might as well stick with the old one then...

Actually, the VR2 has a new coating to further reduce ghosting and flare. And also bro Isisaxon has kindly informed us that the VR2 has fixed the design flaw in the older 18-200VR, where the FPC (flexible pcb, or ribbon pcb) will jam up the lens mechanism and kill the VR after repeated use.

you are also correct :bsmilie:
even with many complaints, have to buy it at last..can't afford big big ones :sweat:
justifying myself to go for this one..
so, just looking for *little* improvement thaz all..cheers..

:bsmilie: fixing distortions at certain focal lens is not considered little la. elements need to be completely redesigned, and to keep distortions down in a huge range from 18 to 200mm in a single lens is not an easy task at all la. :sweat: If you are in the engineering field you will understand that.

Old one, especially the Made in Japan one potentially has a problem with the VR FPC. If you already have an old one and doesn't have the FPC problem then don't bother to change.

Actually, the VR2 has a new coating to further reduce ghosting and flare. And also bro Isisaxon has kindly informed us that the VR2 has fixed the design flaw in the older 18-200VR, where the FPC (flexible pcb, or ribbon pcb) will jam up the lens mechanism and kill the VR after repeated use.

To be honest, I'm not sure if the coating is new. I suspect it's already in place in the older lens, just that they did not market it that much. Otherwise, it would have been an ongoing improvement which might already have been in place some time during the Made in Thailand version. I find no difference.

18-200mm is a good lens already... maybe not an excellent one, but manageable output is ok.

this lens can give you an average output quality, but it can give you 100% convenience during travel... some may give you 100% output sharpness, but it can also give you average convenience during travel...

hehehe knowing the simple difference is easy, deciding what to pick is another matter... let's try to identify the purpose first... for traveling, no doubt 18-200mm is a kick ass lens... but for events and photoshoots... f2.8 will beat the hell out of the 18-200mm

=) my 2 cents.

To be honest, I'm not sure if the coating is new. I suspect it's already in place in the older lens, just that they did not market it that much. Otherwise, it would have been an ongoing improvement which might already have been in place some time during the Made in Thailand version. I find no difference.

Or it could just be marketing fluff in the press release. ;)

Old one, especially the Made in Japan one potentially has a problem with the VR FPC. If you already have an old one and doesn't have the FPC problem then don't bother to change.

i c i c... so mine is one of the fragile ones... :confused:

Or it could just be marketing fluff in the press release. ;)

Most likely it is..As far as I have read about the specs, optically the design's the same as the old one, VR is also exactly the same as the old one, the SIC (Super Integrated Coating) was also available on the old one..

The only additional stuff that I see is the zoom lock which is pretty useless for me anyways..

so there is no reason to pay more for the "gold label" since "red label" is good enough :bsmilie:

so there is no reason to pay more for the "gold label" since "red label" is good enough :bsmilie:

If you already have the Red Label, stay with it. Whereas if you're getting a new one go for the Gold Label as the price difference isn't that much.. Further you're getting the gold label you see ;)

i hope by january the price will go down hehehe

got a 16-85 VR instead..sacrificed the long end with smaller, lighter and sharper DX lens :lovegrin:
by the way, it's a gold label too!
cheers to everyone who kindly contributed to my inquiry..

Not sure if this was posted b4 but here's Nikon AF-S DX 18-200mm VR II 100% Cropped Sample Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.