Nikon 1 J5

wmtan and alfie, can i know where you guys get the 6.7-13mm?? I have been camping in the forum for ages (read: 1-2years!)for resale but they normally get snap up really fast!! :(

Hi verde, sorry to hear that you have so much problem getting the 6.7-13 mm. I got mine from Cathay Photo in Sep 2013. When I checked with them then, there was one piece in stock and I grabbed it. Sadly, the Nikon 1 system has been much neglected by Nikon Singapore as seemed in their refusal to bring in the V3. You may wish to check with Cathay Photo to see if they can reserve one for you when stock is available - assuming Nikon Singapore still brings this in. Alternatively, you may want to try your luck overseas, e.g. Hong Kong. I got my V3 there. Good luck on your search. Regards.

I finally got my 'cheong' DSTE brand batteries for USD9 a piece from Aliexpress. It looks like higher capacity than original batt. Works well so far...fingers crossed.
Going to collect my 10mm/f2.8 tomorrow...will get the 18.5mm/f1.8 also if can find ready stock.

Do let us know how are the dste batteries do for you?

I'm trying to get more battery (250 shots on J5 is too little when compared to my D90) and have asked Nikon SG but no stock.

Alternatively: is there a way to charge using a power bank? E.g. using a USB to 3 pin plug adaptor?

Edit: Just called Nikon SG and they say no stocks for the battery, when asked, they dunno when stocks are coming in.

Last edited:
Hi Verde, if you are still looking for the 6.7-13 lens, I saw one piece at Cathay Photo in Marina Square at lunch time today. Call James to check availability and price if you are interested.

Just got a brand new FT-1, I tried it on J5 encounter lens error, have already update FT-1 firmware to 1.02, anyone having same issue ?

Will pop by Nikon center soon...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dome: what lens did you tried on your FT1?

Do let us know how are the dste batteries do for you?

I'm trying to get more battery (250 shots on J5 is too little when compared to my D90) and have asked Nikon SG but no stock.

Alternatively: is there a way to charge using a power bank? E.g. using a USB to 3 pin plug adaptor?

Edit: Just called Nikon SG and they say no stocks for the battery, when asked, they dunno when stocks are coming in.

Agree, single charge on D7000 takes >800 pics, so I wasn't used to this either...

The DSTE batteries fortunately worked well. The package shows a higher capacity rating than the original but actually works about the same...not much more. In fact, one unit has higher capacity and the other has less capacity than original...Hard to judge as I often use the WiFi or video modes. For the price, it is wonderful! Made in PRC, can't expect too much.
I was actually facing more issues with my iPhone 5S draining its batt very fast while using the J5 WiFi to take pics, esp with 'Downloading' mode on.

The USB doesn't charge the batt while plugged in. It should have this option, but seems that the designers left this feature out...

I love the 10mm f/2.8 pancake lens. Literally allows to fit in my pocket and excellent for selfies (with selfie stick to have better framing of background). Used it 70% of the time.

The 18.5mm f/1.8 is even more magical (but can't take selfies of course). Super sharp even at f/1.8 and focuses really fast on the correct object (mainly humans). I have the FX version: hard to use and need to use 1 point focus; comparatively, this one focuses really well, fast and no brainer to use... IQ is just stunning!

Only problem i get now is Adobe Lightroom can't open J5 RAW files (NEF). This is a joke man! Photomatix also can't. Only Nikon Capture NX-D can, but this sw can't do squat!

Last edited:
I tried 24-70mm f2.8 ED, 24-85mm G lens, 80-200mm ED lens, all showing same lens error message.

I just bought 6.7-13mm lens last evening as well, no complain... Love the coverage

I will settle on the original Nikon batteries: just called Nikon SG and the stock is in. Had 1 pc reserved and going down to pick it up in the afternoon. For iPhone 5S, I had the exact same issue. No choice, the wifi connection sucks a lot of battery so I only use it when I'm back at home or when I want to 'show off' the IQ of the J5.

I think the feature of using USB to charge is for those consumer cameras where the battery requirement is not as heavy. The current rating requirement for those types of cams are smaller so a USB (even USB3.0) is adequate to power the charging. That is why you don't see "in-cam" USB charging for DSLRs, take up too much current.

I love the 10mm f/2.8 pancake lens. Literally allows to fit in my pocket and excellent for selfies (with selfie stick to have better framing of background). Used it 70% of the time.

The 18.5mm f/1.8 is even more magical (but can't take selfies of course). Super sharp even at f/1.8 and focuses really fast on the correct object (mainly humans). I have the FX version: hard to use and need to use 1 point focus; comparatively, this one focuses really well, fast and no brainer to use... IQ is just stunning!

Only problem i get now is Adobe Lightroom can't open J5 RAW files (NEF). This is a joke man! Photomatix also can't. Only Nikon Capture NX-D can, but this sw can't do squat!

It is very irritating to not open with Lightroom yet (the firmware update not yet available for J5) so I have to shoot and edit in JPG for now. What I miss most about RAW now is the dynamic range, no doubt the J5's dynamic range is good enough, but knowing that you can do more in RAW is very...)

I tried 24-70mm f2.8 ED, 24-85mm G lens, 80-200mm ED lens, all showing same lens error message.

I have tried on my 18-200v1, tokina 12-24, af-d 50, 50mm E series,36-72 E series, all worked fine.

Suggestion: go to NSC and try another FT1 and see where the problem lies, lens/adaptor/j5?

I have tried on my 18-200v1, tokina 12-24, af-d 50, 50mm E series,36-72 E series, all worked fine.

Suggestion: go to NSC and try another FT1 and see where the problem lies, lens/adaptor/j5?

Just came from NSC and they left 2 pieces (en-el24) at S$40 ea. Someone came earlier to buy 2 as he is traveling and will not staying in hotel, so power for the j5 is very impt.

I just bought 6.7-13mm lens last evening as well, no complain... Love the coverage

Great lens, i love doing selfies with it. Plenty of fun.

Went NSC, they can't explain why the new FT-1 not working as well, their CS Serene been kind, help to call the shop and request for 1 to 1 exchange. Cheers to NSC !

Just came from NSC and they left 2 pieces (en-el24) at S$40 ea. Someone came earlier to buy 2 as he is traveling and will not staying in hotel, so power for the j5 is very impt.

Didn't know it's $40, bought a 3rd party with higher capacity at $35.

Didn't know it's $40, bought a 3rd party with higher capacity at $35.

IIRC, if your J5 is sent for repairs and it is checked you were not using the Nikon battery, it will void your warranty on the spot. And using original gives me the peace of mind as the quality is guaranteed.

Went NSC, they can't explain why the new FT-1 not working as well, their CS Serene been kind, help to call the shop and request for 1 to 1 exchange. Cheers to NSC !

Thats good to know they are so helpful!