Night portrait with beautiful lighted city scape in low light condition

any good flash required or build in 1 can do the same
The faces are quite in the corner, the standard pop-up flash will have some troubles lighting up this area properly. So best bet is any decent off-shoe flash with some diffuser.
Whether this picture is really that nicely done is another question. I wouldn't agree here.

I am not sure how this photo is taken, I will tell you how would do it that may explain the 2 flashes. It took me a while to figure this out some years ago.
I am a Canon user, so some of my terms used are specific to Canon.

1. Get the background exposure, either shutter or aperture priority.
2. Switch to manual mode and take a few with tweaks, adjusting to what you really like
3. Set up the flash. Depending situation you may need q

Sorry, accidentally pressed send (on Iphone app)

I am not sure how this photo is taken, I will tell you how I would do it that may explain the 2 flashes. It took me a while to figure this out some years ago and now this is what I do whenever I need to shoot a night scene portrait. BTW, P&S has this mode.

I am a Canon user, so some of my terms used are specific to Canon.

1. Get the background exposure, either shutter or aperture priority.
2. Switch to manual mode, duplicate the settings and take a few with tweaks, adjusting to what you really like
3. Set up the flash. Depending situation and what you have. Remote triggers and / or diffuses.
4. Get you subject in front.
5. Still on the manual setting aim at subject wand press the * or exposure lock button. This will trigger the flash.
6. Recompose and shoot. The flash triggers the second time
7. I have to assumed that the flash is still aiming at the subject at the same angle, camera is on a tripod and flash is on ETTL mode.

I hope his helps.

Last edited:
Does anyone know the step by step settings for Nikon bodies and flash?

Does anyone know the step by step settings for Nikon bodies and flash?

Same, except in step 5, press the 'Flash Value (FV) Lock' button instead of the '*' (Canon's Flash Exposure Lock) button
You might need to set up one of the custom buttons on your camera to do so.

This page also talks about doing this on the Nikon system:
http://nikonclspracticalguide.blogspot.sg/2008/01/4-so-what-is-flash-value-lock.html